21weeks post TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi,

I am now at 21 weeks. Last week I hardly slept. The swelling on my knee seems completely gone, accept when I overdo it.

With the loss so swelling my knee became clunky and it seemed to be clicking into place. The doctor thought so too. 

Pits getting better now, I am sleeping without a pillow between my knees. It gets uncomfortable, but not so often.

my bend is 147 degrees. So, I think I have really turned the last corner (fingers crossed).

Im still taking painkillers at night to get me through, and occasionally during the day.

Caz x

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That bend is brilliant! Well Done!

Try not to overdo it! This is easier said than done!biggrin

• Posted

Hi PollyBB,

I use an iPhone goniometer app. It's always been the same reading as my physio, but I was amazed! My good leg is 150degrees.

Caz x

• Posted

Thanks a ton for mentioning this app. I'm downloading it now. I've been done with pt for a couple months, but wondering if my range of movement is improving (sometimes I feel like it's decreasing). Now I'll be able to measure it myself.
  • Posted

Hi! I'm now 17 weeks and the swelling in my left TKR suddenly reduced last week and like you, it only returns after a lot of exercise, but I also have a clicking, clunking horrible feeling in my knee and can't sleep! Although I'm glad to get rid of the swelling and my bend is now very good, this new sensation is driving me nuts and I was on the point of seeing my GP so I'm glad that I'm not alone with this new development! I was beginning to wonder if it was all falling apart!
    • Posted

Yes Glenda, it all sounds the same as me. I drove down south for a two day beach getaway with my daughter, three hours each way, and I swam a lot. That felt strange. Like you say, sort of dislocated, like a loosely strung puppet.

Caz x

• Posted

Your loosely strung puppet description sums up the feeling exactly! I wonder if anyone else is, or has experienced this? This TKR business is one long road of different stages isn't it? You get rid of one problem and then you're onto the next! Will we get to the stage where we can actually forget which knee has been replaced??!
    • Posted

Hi Glenda, 

Im now 12 at weeks and one of the things that just started enjoying is this clunking and clicking. I wonder what is your experience with it so far. Do you think it is down to the muscles being weaker and once they get back to their strength it'll somehow disappear ..... 

I only experience this half of the time and it makes me wonder why....am sure it can be addressed by doing some muscle strengthening  exercises... 

joseph

• Posted

Hi! My clicking and clunking followed on after the swelling went down and its driven me mad since then! I'm not sure what's happening but a friend of mind who had her TKR over two years ago has just informed me that her TKR does this fairly often, especially during exercise. It's the "lose" feeling that I can't stand! If it doesn't go away I might resort to contacting the Consultant to ask if it's just mending or if it's all falling apart!
    • Posted

Is it wrong that I say I'm glad I'm not alone? My surgery was the end of October...just about 5 months ago. I still have a lot of numbness on the outer sides of my knees (I had a bilateral surgery), and lots of creaking noises when I stand. And still some swelling. One knee seems to struggle more than the other - and this was the knee that was originally better off. I had the impression that new knees meant knees that were just like my old ones before the arthritis set in. So this is challenging me a bit.
  • Posted

Hi Caz. Seems like you are turning that magic corner just need to get your sleep pattern sorted and its up and away. I am now 26weeks and up to 2weeks ago still felt wretched, say no more, do not want to jinx anything.take care Caz you are almost there .
    • Posted

hi Tucks, well let's hope so, and that you aren't far behind. You need some sun!

Caz x

• Posted

i just wanted to say Hi

nothings changed with me yet...still hoping to run that marathon though..(not)😄

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Caz,

You sound to be doing marvelous , I still get pain & swelling if I overdo things, can't beleive what a good bend you have, amazing, I'm 23 weeks almost & my bend is still only about 110, how did you achieve such a good bend? I am trying my utmost, & so is my physio. I feel like I have a restriction at the back of my knee, b ut will mention it to my surgeon when I see him on 3rd March. My leg is almost straight & I walk normally, it is just the bend that troubles me as my other leg is 150 degree like yours.

Lynn

• Posted

Hi Lynn, 

I still get days and nights when I have a fair amount of pain. My bend wasn't this good until I went away with my daughter. There was a spa and the step into it was very steep, above knee high. I got in ok, but when I went to get out, I had so much trouble bending my knee enough to do it. I think I might have forced it. It was either that or stay in the spa for ever!

It was a strange action, pulling on the bars with my hands, my left foot out of the spa, being wet and having to use my leg muscles to bend my bad knee high enough to get out. I couldn't use my hands.

I was lucky to have a zero from the start with straight.

Good luck on the 3rd March.

Caz x

• Posted

Hii Caz good news that you're doing so well

I'm seeing my surgeon next Wed so hopefully he can explain why I'm still in pain

i'm really fed up now I've done everything you're supposed to do so there must be some unknown reason why my knee still bruises if i do too much walking 

roll on Wednesday and hopefully some positive news 

all the best Caz x

• Posted

Hi Jean, 

Dont let your surgeon fob you off on Wednesday with the time heals stuff. You really sound like you could use some help. I don't bruise when I walk and I have the kind of skin that bruises if you look at me too hard!

Let me know what he says.

Thinking of you

Caz x

• Posted

thanks Caz

will let you know what he says

i definitely won't let him fob me off 

Jean 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.