21weeks post TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi,

I am now at 21 weeks. Last week I hardly slept. The swelling on my knee seems completely gone, accept when I overdo it.

With the loss so swelling my knee became clunky and it seemed to be clicking into place. The doctor thought so too. 

Pits getting better now, I am sleeping without a pillow between my knees. It gets uncomfortable, but not so often.

my bend is 147 degrees. So, I think I have really turned the last corner (fingers crossed).

Im still taking painkillers at night to get me through, and occasionally during the day.

Caz x

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Caz

update as promised 

I went  to see the Surgeon today I had X-rays on my knee from every angle...my hip...my pelvis and my spine

the knee is perfect..the problem I have is a trapped sciatic nerve ..hence the pain at the back of my knee...it could take up to 12 months to sort itself out...8  painkillers per day on a regular basis.

i haven't been discharged yet I have to go back in 6 months even though I still have to put up with the pain at least I know it isn't the prosthesis

so I carry on hobbling around for a while longer 

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Jean,

Well at least you know for sure now what has been causing your pain. That must be some relief for you.

Is this something that will go away on its own? Did the doctor give you exercises to do? What type of pain killers are you to take? That sounds like a lot. Sure hope it all helps and you will be good as new again soon.

Good to read your posts & see your name again. Have you been doing any writing?

Take care, Betty

• Posted

hi Betty

yes I have exercises to do...and my painkillers are co- codamol

I'm going to try swimming again starting next week I'm sure that will help

its good to know the knee prosthesis is ok and my bend is really good

but it hasn't made the pain go away...they said at the hospital it can take up to 12 months to settle down 

it seems like one problem solved has made another one.

but I must admit I was worried there was something wrong with the knee but with the amount of X-rays I had yesterday it shows everything is fine with it.

and as for writing I'm always writing  some poem or other I must have ink instead of blood😄

I sorted everything out last week and I have 176 poems 14 short stories...the children's stories and my novel 

the next thing I'll be going to see my GP for is writers cramp😄

I hope things are getting better  for you 

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Jean,

I am so glad that your surgeon took you seriously and did all those X-rays.

So you now know what is causing all your pain. A trapped sciatic nerve! Ouch!

At least you know that it's not your knee. 

Living on continuous painkillers is so hard though. I still take Panadol Osteo twice daily and Panadeine Forte at night.

Summer is coming, I hope it brings a bit of relief for you.

We have booked our holiday back to the UK. July 15th we fly to Mauritius for 4 days, then Paris for 2 days. Then we are going to catch the train under the channel to London! I'm so excited, I haven't seen my brothers and sister for years. I'm even going to my art school reunion!

I hope the knee holds up.

Much love

Caz x

• Posted

hi Caz

and yes the Surgeon did take me seriously this time I had loads of X-rays and the knee is perfect

now I will just have to deal with it and wait for it to settle down

apparently as the consultant explained your leg is pulled and pushed around during the OP and as I already have a problem with the bottom of my spine it seems to have trapped the sciatic nerve

so I'll just keep on limping and cursing when the pain is bad.😄

your holiday sounds fantastic ..you must be really pleased and excited.

The reunion will be great; it's always nice to meet old friends.

I booked a weeks holiday in Spain I need some sun on my body ...hopefully it will give me a boost.

i go on the 21st of April...Yippee ...it's just as easy to limp about in the sun as it is here in Winter.

take care Caz and thanks for caring 

Jean xx

• Posted

Well absolutely great for both of you, Jean & Caz, on your upcoming trips!

I'm sure the mental lift being away from home, enjoying the sunshine & sights will take your mind completely off your pain Jean 😊 What a wonderful environment to do your writing as well.

Half the battle is over for you, knowing what the real problem is, so hopefully it won't be long before you are feeling good as new again!

Caz, so wonderful to hear you are doing so well. Your trip sounds VERY exciting! Something to look forward to!

Take care both of you, Betty

• Posted

Hi Jean

just wanted to say hi and ask how you are doing? Have you been swimming? Is it helping? Hopefully you will be much improved by the time you holiday in Spain!

Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty,

How are you?

Des (hubby) and I have been walking on the beach every day. We just walk to the jetty and bac which is a 20 min walk. I like to walk into the ocean too, up past my knees. It feels lovely. I can't walk in the water because it sort of pulls on my knee, heavy really.

I wonder how Roland is? I keep thinking of him.

Sonnysgirl had to had a total knee replacement last week.  Kind of a waste of all that pain having the partial first. She is doing well.

Soobeedoo is still having pain, but still has to work. She now has a bad blood count of white cells.

I catch up with them on Facebook. Are you on there?

Lots of love

Caz x

• Posted

Hi Caz

I just wrote a long response to your post & promptly lost it!!! Do you know how to retrieve them when that happens???

Grrrr that makes me angry!

Anyway it was so sweet of you to update me on Sonnysgirl & Soobeedoo. How many weeks is it for Sonnysgirl? What is the cause of Soobeedoo's bad white blood count?

So sorry to hear! I have also been wondering about Roland & was going to post asking if he is in rehab yet.

I'm not on Facebook (yet) I did join once (accidentally, ha) but have not done anything with it.

Good for you, all the walking you do! How great to live walking distance to the beach. We are about a 4 minute drive to the beach & sometimes I go, park & walk, but I tend to just walk out my front door & around the neighborhood for the convenience of it.

How are you feeling? How many weeks are you now? I'm just past 7 months, doing OK.

It's great to get your post. I hope we start seeing Sonnysgirl & Soobeedoo again soon too!

Take care my friend, Betty

• Posted

hi Betty

i tried going to the swimming pool but ...it's so difficult using the steps to get in and out so I'm afraid my good intentions didn't work out.

i do try to get a walk in every day and obviously with living in a house I'm up and down stairs all day. ( that's because the Loo is upstairs) lol

my knee still swells and bruises if I do too much and gets quite painful at times ...but that's the sciatica 

apart from that I'm just looking forward to my week on holiday

you take care and I'm glad you're doing ok

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Jean

Good to hear from you. Sounds like your healing progress is going a bit slow for you. Are you still on pain killers? I'm sorry the swimming did not work out for you. I hear ( though I've not done it!) that it's pretty beneficial, at least from what I read on here.

I also get exercise going up & down stairs all day, being in a 2 story house. That's about the only good thing I can say about a 2 story house, ha

I'm almost 8 months and my knee is no where near feeling "normal". It's better than what it was pre op, so maybe this is the best I can expect. I'm thinking my hip is probably becoming a problem now as well, so that may be affecting my knee too. Only way to know for sure is to get a series of X-rays like you did, to see what is going on.

I'm going through some health issues with my husband currently, so my problems are on hold.

Have you been writing? Take care Jean and I'm excited for you, having that wonderful trip to Spain to look forward to!!

XO Betty

• Posted

hi Betty

thanks for your reply.

sorry to hear your husband isn't too good but I hope he improves very soon.

Like you I think my knee now is as good as it will ever be...so it's a case of ...smile sweetly and just get on with it.

I had my op on the 4/09/14 so I think we're about the same ...nearly 7 months post op.

I'm just glad I have my writing hobby to pass my time on. It keeps the old brain ticking over😄

You take care and keep in touch 

Jean x

• Posted

Jean, can you explain what this trapped sciatic nerve is? I've had an ongoing pain in the back of one of my knees ever since the surgery took place. All I've been told is that I need to give it time. And while it has diminshed, every once in a while it still shows up - it's been almost 5 months).
    • Posted

hello

the trapped sciatic nerve runs down from my spine right down the back of my leg to my foot and it can be extremely painful

i had my Right knee op on 4/ 9/14 and this past couple of days I seem to be walking better and I also did a 1 hour drive ...yippee...at last

fingers crossed after 7 months I may be on the road to recovery

if I was you I would mention sciatica to your GP it's worth asking.

it seems to have been a long hard road for me ...but...don't you despair it will eventually get better ....

take care 

Jean😄

• Posted

hi Caz I said I'd keep in touch

I hope you're running round like a spring Chicken now 😄

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Jean,

Nice to hear from you.

I went to the Arena with my daughter last night to see Kylie. 

Before the show Veronica became very ill ( she is having an op for endometriosis this week) and she was taken to the first aid.

Yes, I was running around like a chicken, more the two headed kind than spring though. 

When you actually forget your knee you can do amazing things.

Caz x

• Posted

Hi Caz

I do hope your daughter is doing OK - that must have been a nightmare having her become ill at a public venue like that!

All my thoughts and good wishes go out to both of you during her surgery this week. I have 2 daughters so I know what it's like to be a concerned mom, no matter what their age!!!

Take care, Betty

• Posted

hi Caz

so sorry to hear about your daughter; I think you once mentioned before about her illness.

lets hope the Op sorts her out there's nothing worse than pain.

it really is true that you forget your pain when you have to look after your children. I know first hand with my son's recent illness.

he's fine now and back at work.

you take care and best wishes to your Daughter 

Jean x

• Posted

Hi Betty,

Thank you. I also have 2 daughters. 

Veronica is also epileptic, but that was the least of our worries.

How are you doing with your knee?

Caz x

• Posted

Hi Jean,

So glad to hear that your son is better now.

We actually did get to see Kylie. She was really good and Veronica perked right up. She spent the day in bed yesterday.

One of the support acts was Gorgio Moroder ( remember him?). He played some Donna Summer videos ( remember her?). Veronica had never seen or heard her before, now she can't get enough!

Caz x

• Posted

Aww, bless her heart. How old is Veronica? What about your other daughter? Are they married ~ any grandchildren? Has Veronica had her surgery yet? Such stress sad

My knee is OK. Jean and I agree that it is probably as good as its gonna get! Better than pre op, so sure can't complain.

Take care dear Caz ~ you have a lot on your plate right now!

Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty,

Thank you for your concern. Veronica is 34 next week. She is unable to have children as she has endometriosis and epilepsy. Her epilepsy drug carries only. 2% chance if a normal child. She has a partner. That's probably why she has so many cats, 11, all rescued.

My other daughter, Cathy, is 38. I don't see her at all. She had a child, my grandson, Jonathon, he is now 20 but she took off and was going to have him adopted, so my husband and I have brought him up from 4 days old.

I also have a son, Richard. He is 29 and a lovely caring guy.

I am finding that if I am walking then my knee doesn't hurt at all. I could walk 24 hrs. It's when I and standing or sitting that it hurts. It kind of locks, and when I move it clicks quite painfully at the back.

I bought a really good pair of cross trainers yesterday, they have arch support and gel soles, horrible colours, all fluoro these days! So very comfy. Now I walk and walk, mostly on the beach and around shopping malls where the floors are flat.

The young guy who served me in the sports shop asked me what my TKR felt like, if it felt alien. He said he has always been curious. I said, Hope to a God that you don't find out!

Stay positive my friends

Caz x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.