22 yr old male with enlarged prostate

Posted , 15 users are following.

Please please can anyone help me , my son 22 as been told by his consultant that he as a prostate of a 80yr old man. In a matter of 2wks he's had a ultrasound, a camera up his penis , a flow test and a MRI scan. 7 consultants have looked at his results and cant give us any answers , they are baffled as they never come across a lad so young. He is now booked in to have a biopsy on Tuesday. As you can imagine im going out of my mind with worry .

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Helen

I guess the Dr undertook checks for infections?  Like everyone else has said, it sounds like some sort of irritation or allergic reaction.  Does your son ride a bike or spend many hours sitting down? Bike saddles place a lot of pressure in the groin area which can bruse nerves and / or block the flow of blood.  Bad posture can also have a similar effect.  Do the sysmptoms deminish after a vigerous walk? 

• Posted

Most seem to be ignoring the fact that he has had all of the usual tests that determine his prostate size and from Helen's words it must be grossly enlarged. Faddy diets and walking are not going to help.
  • Posted

From what you have said and PC is very unlikely at your sons age the answer is going to be one of the surgical remedies. As they can cause retro ejaculation or impotence he needs to speak to the medical team about collecting, freezing and storing his sperm for future use.

If he has had his PSA checked it will be high as large prostate equals high PSA.

My PSA was about 9.8 before I had my first laser surgery for BPH.  

• Posted

hi derek,

yes after he'd had the MRI scan we went straight in to see the consultant for the results where they explained that to us . Not really what a 22yr old wants to here :-/

• Posted

Hi Helen, I recommend the following:

1) Do not assume the urologist you are seeing knows the best approach. Get a HoLEP doctors opinion

2) I don't know where you live, but travel to the closest best HoLEP doctor you can find

3) If you are in the US, the Mayo in Rochester and that woman who performs HoLEP may be your best bet. A friend of mine recently went there. They are taking him on a non-surgical path for now.

4) Enlarged prostate and Prostatitis are commonly mixed up as being the same thing when they are not. He might have a temporarily enlarged prostate from prostatitis. A course of antibiotics may help. Dose level may need to be higher than the urologist has him on

5) If your sons situation just materiialized with real problems for him, your son may have drank or eaten things to inflamt the prostate. But that also may be a sign he may primarily have prostititis vs an enlarged prostate. If this is the case, and if the antibiotics can get him back to a normal level, he is going to need to take responsibility on whatever he was easting or drinking before that might have caused or contributed to the problem.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi, Helen!

Some of the guys here have proposed ideas that sound worth exploring.  I never heard the wheat gluten--prostate connection theory before. 

Earlier today I posted a long comment on the "CPPS / BPH / Chronic Non Bacterial Prostatitis - My Sad Story" thread.  I'm wondering if it also might apply to your son's case.  By chance, has your son been diagnosed with varicocele?

• Posted

Hi lunarrainbow , last Tuesday my son had a biopsy . We were told that it was going to Christies hospital and another top cancer hospital in London . We haven't been told anything because nobody knows anything they have never seen this before in a person so young . They did say that his prostate was on the scale of 80 . 
    • Posted

There is prostatitis, enlarged prostate, prostate cancer, and other causes that produce limited flow and bladder retention that may or may not be associated with the prostate. If your son does not have prostate cancer, just make sure that in your attempt to get to the top expert, that expert might be tops in prostate cancer but may not be tops in best and latest practices treating non-cancer prostae related issues. It seems strange qualifying or challenging doctors, but you have to in order to figure out who has the best skills and treatment experience.

It is very unclear to me whether your son needs surgical treatment, he may not, he may for example suffer from chronic prostatitis which may call for a different regime. But if doctors say he needs a procedure, I would not do Greenlight or TURP or full blown prostatectomy. HoLEP is a potentially great option and some other folks have posted that Button TURP is another good option. If a surgical procedure is being recommended, I would qualify the doctor by asking these questions.

1) What procedure do they recommend and why

2) If they do not recommend HoLEP and Button TURP, why not

3) Do they do HoLEP and Button TURP? If not, they really have no experience to pass judgment on though they might try to and shouldn't

4) If they do have experience with either, ask how many procedures they have performed. The number should be fairly high, at least 30 procedures. If they say they tried either but stopped doing it, ask how many procedures they did before they stopped. It could be they never truly learned how to do the prpocedure correctly but others have.

Good luck..

• Posted

Helen,

It's likely that something else is going on here to develop an 80g prostate in someone so young.  My heart goes out to you.  You have my prayers.

• Posted

Hi Helen, I was wondering what was the followup of your son. Thanks.
  • Posted

Hi Helen, I am a 45year old male with what I hope is the same condition as your son. Meaning I have benign prostate enlargement, mine started in my teens (cause unknown). Apart from having to pee regularly with poor flow and needing to drink a more than average amount of water I lead a fairly average life. I rarely sleep a whole night without needing to go to the toilet and always wake early to relieve myself. Sometimes I pee and half an hour later I need to go again, for me this is normal.

The size of mine is just south of the border of needing something done about it, so they will do nothing unless it gets worse.

I wish I had someone to tell me these things when I was young.

Have you found a cause or any treatments that helped in relieving your son's symptoms?

I pray your boy is doing okay.

God bless

Paul

• Posted

Have you gotten an answer that can help you with your problem yet. When the prostate is swollen it only means the prostate is starving. The prostate needs a few things in the body so it doesn't get enlarge. It means your son needs to get the proper things in his body for the prostate to shrink. It's pretty simple but of course no one will tell you that. There are a few things the body needs. Zinc, selenium and I can't remember everything.

I am taking care of my father 95 yrs old and I bought Proaxil which has the right amount of everything the prostate needs to shrink.

I hope u got help for ur son already but not I hope my information will be helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.