225mg Venlafaxine struggling to withdraw

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been on 225mg of Venlafaxine for nearly 5 years for depression but I'm now doing very well, been back at full time work for 4 months and things going well. My dr agreed I could start to reduce my medication and put me on 150mg of Venlafaxine. After just 3 days I couldn't hack it anymore and went back on my 225mg. I had a constant headache and was so afraid to fall asleep because the night terrors were the most disturbing thing I have ever experienced. Then the lethargy. About 2 weeks later I attempted it again but again at 3 days I gave up, it was like my world became so surreal and strange I felt odd. Again went back on 225mg. I have an appointment in 2 days to discuss. But I'm wondering what others experiences are? Is it too much of a jump 225mg to 150mg?

2 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been withdrawing from 225mg (max dose) for the past few weeks as this drug did NOTHING for my anxiety only recreated terrible side effects.

I went from 225mg to 150mg in the first week then 150mg to 75mg for a week and then 75mg to 37.5mg for a week, am currently on my last 37.5mg today so will be free from this drug tomorrow. Its been tough going on them with the side effects and withdrawing but I couldnt continue taking them anymore.

I have Lyrica and Xanax to help with withdraw process 

• Posted

I just wanted to update the post.

I have been taking 150mg Ven in the morning and 37.5mg at around 8pm as instructed by gp and so far so good!!!

No withdrawal symptoms what so ever. Usually by know I'm in tears, unable to cope and going back on 225mg.

I will continue this for 4 weeks then remove the 37.5mg and go to 150mg. Fingers crossed.

• Posted

Hi Leanne.

Today i've cut another 37.5mg taking me to just 75mg a day. All other reductions have gone well so hoping the same this time.

I saw my GP yesterday about something unrelated but told him i am coming off ven and all the side effects whilist on them which are already subsiding. He was totally disinterested so i have put it in writting and hope he reads it so he understands what this drug he is happy to repeat prescribe without a reveiw can do to us.

You may all like to know my side effects of 225mg of venlofaxine so you can compare.

Headaches

Brain zaps( as you Americans call them)

Hair loss

Weight gain(4 stone)

Loss of libdo

urinary incontinence

Lack of any emotion both happy and sad

Eratic sleep

Low energy

No interest in anything

Low concentration

Muscle aches

Apart from that Venlofaxine suited me well!

Happily everything apart from hair and weight are slowly returning to normal and i can look forward to a future.

Those are my personal experiences and am not trying to deter anybody but in my case the benifits did not outweigh losses.

Ian

• Posted

The side effects are just awful from it, cant believe you gained so much weight.. crazy what some of these drugs can do to you :o

Todday is my first day Venlafaxine free in 2015

• Posted

Good for you and well done. When my turn comes i'm having a party , hopefully only 8 weeks to go.
    • Posted

I gained weight also but I wasn't sure if that was more to do with the depression and becoming less active and when I spoke with my dr a few years ago she said it was less likely to be the pills. I'm interested to know if anyone has lost weight while reducing or stopping the Venlafaxine completely.
    • Posted

I gained weight also but I wasn't sure if that was more to do with the depression and becoming less active and when I spoke with my dr a few years ago she said it was less likely to be the pills. I'm interested to know if anyone has lost weight while reducing or stopping the Venlafaxine complete
    • Posted

Is your weight now reducing? I have also put on stones taking this. Hoping to withdraw soon after 10 years. On 150mg at present x
    • Posted

Hi elaine.

Yes, my weight is very slowly coming down its not noticeable and i still feel fat but its a step in the right direction

Today is day 3 of reducing to 75mg(half each morning and evening) and am having the usual wobbles but i know what to expect and by sunday should be through it.

It seems that most people on here have benifited from venlofaxine but why leave us on such high doses indefinetly without knowing what long term effects it may have on our health?. I have high blood pressure and chlosteral which my GP does admit is down to the drug. Hopefully these will come down but its the unknown and as yet undiscovered damage that scares me.

Sorry to be a Jona again but i feel very strongly about this.

Ian

• Posted

I didnt benefit from the drug at all for my anxiety, it did nothing to help only cause more damage to my health
  • Posted

Hi there,

I'm also coming off Venlafaxine having been on it for about six years, So far I am down from 225mg to 18.75mg (I have a pill splitter). It has taken me about 18 months so far but I have stopped and started several times mainly due to problems with withdrawal symptoms. I just wanted to say that it's really important to reduce slowly, 37.5mg at a time at most with a good few weeks before the next reduction. Your GP might say that it's ok to go quicker but in my experience they don't have a lot of knowledge of the difficulties of withdrawals.

I hope it goes well for you

• Posted

The side effects on them are poisoness and were slowly ruining my life so my physcholist recommended me withdrawing at the rate im going, as far as he is concerned the quicker I get off them the better as the side effects on them cant be much worse than they are on them.

Im my second day in 2015 now Venlafaxine free and first time in about 9 yars srni/ssri and yes im not feeling great, vert dizzy, lightheaded, woozy, tired etc but at least im not sweating like a pig like I was on the Venlafaxine and my sleep is definly returning a little bit to normal again, thank god

• Posted

You mentioned the sweating and that hit a chord in me!

Since taking Venlafaxine I have been sweating! It never got better only worse. It's the most constant side effect, in many respects I'm lucky as it was the only side effect I suffered whilst taking Ven. It's so embarrassing though, just talking down the stairs and my forehead would be wet, everywhere I go I take a hand held fan! I'm really looking forward to seeing the back of it!

I'm currently on 150mg in morn and 37.5mg in the evening and so far so good. The withdrawal symptoms have settled although my dreams are still a bit funky.

I'm hoping il get lucky and be one of the few who can withdraw by 37.5 every couple of months till I'm down to zero!

I wish you the best though and would love to know how your getting on Venlafaxine free.

• Posted

Your absolutely right, from my own experience and from posts such as these it's become obvious that this will be a slow process.

I stopped and started myself due to withdrawal symptoms but I'm currently doing ok. 5/6 days into 150mg morn/37.5mg evening and so far so good.

My dad recently gave me a pill splitter so if needs must!

Well done you for getting to 18.75mg! It really is an achievement that only those who have experienced can appreciate.

• Posted

oh the sweating is terrible and the lack of sleep.

This week has been awful, on top of having a very bad sinus infection the past few weeks, my body is starting to really notice no SSRI/SSNI, I have been on them for about 9 years so im hoping as the weeks go on things will get better, not due to see my Mental Health Doctor till early august so going to continue to take the 25mg Lyrica twice a day and Xanax when required to help :o sad

Its torture, pure spaced out going around the place, wobbly, dizzy, irritable, tired etc etc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.