225mg Venlafaxine struggling to withdraw

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been on 225mg of Venlafaxine for nearly 5 years for depression but I'm now doing very well, been back at full time work for 4 months and things going well. My dr agreed I could start to reduce my medication and put me on 150mg of Venlafaxine. After just 3 days I couldn't hack it anymore and went back on my 225mg. I had a constant headache and was so afraid to fall asleep because the night terrors were the most disturbing thing I have ever experienced. Then the lethargy. About 2 weeks later I attempted it again but again at 3 days I gave up, it was like my world became so surreal and strange I felt odd. Again went back on 225mg. I have an appointment in 2 days to discuss. But I'm wondering what others experiences are? Is it too much of a jump 225mg to 150mg?

2 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well it's been almost 2 weeks now and there has been minimal side effects. I do feel a little more tired but that's about it. Mentally I think I have noticed some things. These last few days I've felt a little quieter sometimes a little sad and down, even a little paranoia! Nothing extreme though. I've kept a diary of how I've been feeling so I can mention it to my gp. I see her in 2 weeks. I'm hoping this is just normal and I'll start feeling myself again soon.
    • Posted

Yes I am two week on Monday and feeling anxious and still tired and just not 100% but things are definly better than they were
  • Posted

Hi everyone

I thought I'd update anyone who is interested in my progress. I am now down from 225mg to 150mg each day. I take 75mg+37.5mg slow release in the morning, usually about 8am, then another 37.5mg at night around 9pm. So far the withdrawal has been ok I think this is down to splitting my dosage up and taken a slow release 37.5 at night. I still get headaches, even if I'm only an hour late taking my tablets, still get some dizziness and feel lightheaded every now and then, also feel a little down/sad quiet and not quite myself, but this is usually if my dose is late or for the first few days of reducing to a lower dose. My Dr is calling on the 9/9 to see how things are and to reduce my tablets again. I would be taking 75 in the morning and 37.5 at night, I've been reducing every 6 weeks and by 37.5 each time. I know that may seem to fast but so far I'm ok, I just wanna be off these damn things!

• Posted

Hello

Another update.

6 days ago I reduced my Venlafaxine again. From 112.5mg every morning & 37.5mg every evening to 75mg every morning & 37.5mg every evening. So a total reduction of 37.5mg.

However this time I have really felt it. Withdrawal affects started about 3 days after I reduced. Headaches that aren't really that bad but won't budge even with paracetamol. Feel sick. Although not being sick. Tired. Noticed I feel lethargic and a little down in the dumps so to speak. Quite emotional and clingy. I'm hoping this will pass pretty soon. Next time I reduce will be December by 37.5mg again.

• Posted

You've experienced all the ones I did on each reduction. Same as you on day 3/4.

I'm now 18 days free of Ven. It's a hard time but please try and continue. I'm coming out at the other end. The brain zaps can still be bad and sometimes I feel quite tearey.

I asked the pharmacist at my work who said its one of the hardest medications to come off 😩

Take each day at a time. It does get better. Don't be fooled in to thinking your anxiety/dep had returned. The side effects are very similar. Keep going and don't be frightened of asking for help off family/friends/professionals.

Well done. You can do this 😊👍😊

• Posted

When you said don't be fooled into think anx/dep has returned, that really resonates. This is exactly the kinda thought I've been having. When ever I feel particularly sad and I can't pin a reason on it I'm worrying it may be depression returning or maybe I'm not ready to withdraw yet, or if there are situations I feel I'm not handling well or I'm struggling with an aspect of my life, I immediately think depression! I panic myself! It's like I'm still stuck in that vicious circle, although I mostly manage to get through things. But it seems almost easy to go to that place of blame.

I can't believe I didn't mention the brain zaps! Lol they have become almost a normal part of withdrawing!

Thanks for your encouragement. I really don't know what I'd do if I didn't have this forum.

Its comforting to talk amongst people who can understand your situation.

There is so little awareness around AD's and withdrawing from them however, I should say that Ven did/have helped me manage my mental health in a way no other ad's did.

• Posted

I know exactly what you mean. You automatically think the depression is returning.

You will know yourself. I couldn't pick myself up at all when I suffered depression. It was a dark lonely place.

I also have to thank this medication as it saved my life. It's a powerful drug so understanding the withdrawal process is important.

It's nice having emotions again that are genuine (if that makes sense)

I'm sure I will still have low points but who doesn't!

I wish you the best of luck. Take it slow and listen to your body

😊💕😊

• Posted

Hi I was wondering how are you doing ? I had being off this Medicine for 26 days and I still feel awful I am not going back but at times it feels like I just want to get out of this funky situation I got in to one of the worths times ever This is such an Evil medicine, I don't remember things I feel so stupid the Anxiety is awful I feel like electric shocks are going through my chest ,please any answers or Idea for how long this will last?
    • Posted

How long have you been on this medication for. Also how long was your withdrawal process?

I was on this tablet for 15 years. The pharmacist at my work has said it can take between 3-6 months due to the length of time I was taking it to be out of my system.

Are you seeing your GP regularly?

Sorry your feeling so awful. Omega 3, fish oil capsules help with the brain zaps xxx

• Posted

I was on it for 6 years I was on 75 for a long time then I went down to 37.5 I did the one day on one day off for 2 weeks then I took one on September 11 and then my last one on the September 17 , it has being so awful I can't even explain I am sure you understand now I am on day 26 with out itand finally I had like 1 hr of more clarity ,but it has being so hard to stay strong I had no Idea it was going to be this painful.
    • Posted

I'm sorry you feel so horrid. Personally I think you have weaned off in a harder way.

This medication needs slowwwwww.

It fine going from 75 to the lower dose 37.5. This needs to be done for at least 4 weeks. I think the next step is where it's gone worse for you.

Your body can't understand the every other day. One day your giving it what it wants, the next your depriving it and repeating the process.

I would have taken the 37.5 for a least 4-6 weeks everyday. Then I would have halved it. I got a pill splitter from the chemist. I did this for 4 weeks then I stopped. Some people even quarter it but I decided after half to stop.

Docs don't encourage splitting this tablet, however you need to as to the drop is too severe. Some have tablets with the tiny capsules inside and can count them out.

Having said this you have now come off it. Sounds like your going through hell. It will get better. I wouldn't go back on it to ease your side effects now.

You have done marvellous and keep reminding yourself of this. Also these feelings will pass. Takes time. It's a powerful drug so it needs flushing out your system. Drink plenty, eat well.

This is not forever. You will get there 😊👍😊👍😊

• Posted

Hello everyone. Just wanted to update the post.

I'm still taking 75mg morning and 37.5mg and I'm going to inform the doctor I wish to continue on this dose for another month or so.

My last reduction was around the beginning of October and I was to reduce again the beginning of December but things have been tough lately.

My problem is I'm not sure if what I'm feeling are my true feeling or depression or withdrawal???

Honestly I've been lucky so far, I've had minimal physical side effects. Just the brain zaps, dizziness and headaches, I count myself lucky, I know it can be hell for others.

It's the mental/psychological side that I'm struggling with.

I'm feeling like I can't cope, a little on edge, like something bad is about to happen. It's like I'm starting to lose my mind! I'm obsessed with something bad happening, im in this negative headspace and I feel sad a lot and I'm crying a lot more.

There's been a few things happen in my life lately, things that have shaken me and upset me and I don't know if what I'm feeling is what any 'normal' person would feel/think?? I've been on this path for so long (8 years) that I don't remember how I used to cope with mental pain and heart aches? Was I always like this when things got tough? Is it because I'm withdrawing and my seratonings are all over? Or I'm I not ready to withdraw just yet like I thought? Do I still need a little help?

I know I have to speak with my doctor but I don't want to let her down, she's so brilliant and lovely and I'm afraid I've failed her. I don't want her to think I can't cope?

Sorry for the long post guys...

• Posted

Don't be sorry and don't think you are letting your doctor down , You are trying your best this stuff is very hard and the mind games are the worst,keep positive that things will change nothing stays the same forever I am also having a hard time , In the midst of being of from Effexor I am going through premenopausal and the depression is so bad ,I had a very hard morning trying to enjoy life I don't know when did it became so Bad, ......
  • Posted

I have been off the Ven for 12 weeks but noticed my anxiety not lifting. I'm now on citilipram 10mg which I suppose seems better than 150mg Ven. However I to felt like I had failed everyone.

My doc has assured me that coming off citilipram is nothing compared to coming off the Ven. It's so difficult. You think is it still withdrawal after 12 weeks free off the Ven or do I still have anxiety?

Forgot to mention I was in the Ven for 15 years 😞😞

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words.

It's comforting knowing I'm not alone, and that others feel this way. That sounds strange but you all know what I mean.

I'm definitely more anxious. But again, its that question! Is it withdrawal or is it me?

I'm having a lot of negative thoughts and I'm not handling situations in my life aswel as I thought I would be.

Honestly I feel like I'm going mad lately.

I will tell my doc everything and see what she says.

I've tried citilipram and ecitilipram, these were the first drugs I was given. I had terrible physical side effects on the citilipram! After 12 weeks I was put on ecitilipram and I was fine on these however after a year my doctor didn't think they were having as big an impact so that's when she tried me on Ven.

Trial and error.

I take comfort in this forum, knowing there are people like all of you I can confide in who understand and who know I'm not going mad or losing it! Lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.