23 year old male low heart rate

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I have been experiencing shortness of breath and chest pains for 2 years now. Doctors have done tests and said heart, lungs etc are all fine. So it was put down to panic/anxiety attacks. However recently it has come to my attention that my heart rate is always in the 50s at rest. I've read that a normal resting heart is 60-100 bpm. Could this be anything to do with the problems I'm having?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kyle, I'm not sure I can help much but..

Usually people with good fitness levels have lower resting heart rates, so does this sound like this could be the cause? 

Your symptoms do sound like anxiety (but lots of things do anyway) Have you mentioned to you GP about the low heart rate (most people with anxiety get tachycardia) 

Do you feel anxious? Or that it could be anxiety causing your problems? And do you had a high heart rate when you have these episodes of shortness of breath and chest pain?

• Posted

I'm really not a fit person at all day to being so out of breath when I do try to exercise. I've booked an appointment with my go which is tomorrow however I feel every time I go they don't take what I'm saying seriously and always just say it's anxiety. I 100% have anxiety and panic attacks, I have yet to monitor my heart rate as I'm short of breath but I will do. I'm not sure to what my heart rate should be whilst trying to exercise. Thanks for your reply smile
  • Posted

I have anxiety and panic attacks (but also a problem with my brain not controlling my heart properly) 

If you are able to have an ECG, and a 24hr ECG, that would maybe give some more answers/put your mind at rest. These can both be arranged by the GP smile

• Posted

I have an ecg months ago when they were first investigating my symptoms but I never heard back if it was good or bad so assumed no problem was found. However I have noticed that sometimes my heart rate is in the low 60 which if it was at the time of the ecg they would of thought was normal. It's not until I've started checking my own heart rate that I've noticed the majority of the time it's in the 50s.
    • Posted

A 24 hour ECG is a little monitor you wear for a day (or a couple of days) and that continuously monitors your heart rate, so it's a lot more accurate than a one off ECG 
    • Posted

Yes I think il mention that tomorrow. Thanks
  • Posted

Hello Kyle - key here is how you feel when your heart rate is 50, and how that changes as you do 5 mins of exercise. Something normal like jog around the block etc. if you feel good at the start, feel ok as your heart rate goes up to say 120 bpm and you are just breathing harder and starting to sweat then this is normal. Normally a low resting heart rate indicates a powerful pump and clear pipes, all good . I hope you feel better soon, regards, David.
    • Posted

Thanks. I feel fine when resting. What I've been trying to work out is if my shortness of breath is causing panic attacks or my panic attacks are causing shortness of breath. I appreciate your help thanks.
  • Posted

I don't get breathless but just a feeling that I can't fill my lungs, it makes me feel even more anxious then, and my resting heart rate is in the 50's when I wake in the morning.
  • Posted

`Hi Kyle, 

Sorry to hear the troubles you going through, i can imagine it must be very difficult to get your head around all the information "overload"  ....

You say you have had tests run on you - and all is well in the eyes of your physcians - this is good news, unless you are one of the extremely rare cases or occasion, where physcians and tests have got it wrong, and when i say rare it would be very very rare. (considering your age) 

Your heart rate is perfectly normal and would not worry, easier said than practiced - but remember you have had ECG Tracing's done and can assure you if their was an electrical fault, it would have appeared! 'I could propably bet my bottom dollar that your resting ECG was probably in the fifties on the day of recording.  

Are you prescribed any medications i.e.. Antidepressants or Beta Blockers ? 

• Posted

I was given anti depressants but didn't take them. Thanks for your advice that has made me feel a lot better, I had a normal ecg but my worry is that my heart rate my not of been as low as it usually is at the time. I just wish I new if it was anxiety or an actual health problem. Thanks for the advice.
  • Posted

`Hi Kyle,

You doing fine and are on the journey of "Generalized Anxiety Dissorder" - Education is key to elimination of doubts and worries you may have or percieve to have, medical wise.

The reason i asked about medications - especially (Beta Blockers), is that they are very commonly prescribed for treatment of Anxiety - but the negative effect is that it can cause low blood pressure and a slow or low pulse. 

It's perfectly natural to have all your worries and more and you not alone with this, you have done the right thing turning to forums for help and support, 'have you ever considered "CBT Therapy" accessed through your local GP and or Mental Health Services - `This will enable you to help focus on and strengthen your percieved experience.   

Anxiety is a very real condition or illness and sadly claims many victims in its devastating path, but you must remember it's very normal experience in an abnormal perception to the feelings and symptoms that sadly come along with it. 

See Anxiety is real in the sense that it releases very real hormones or chemical's, namely "Adrenaline" into your body - hence the old fashioned way of saying "Fight or Flight Mode" and the symptoms of the over load of Adrenalin in your body are exhaustive. 

Sufferer feels in a constant state of high anxiety and is often known as 

‘chronic worrying’ or a ‘free floating’ anxiety condition. 

Which is perfectly normal due too the symptoms, from the excessive Adrenalin overload in ones body - causing all sorts of physical symptoms which believe it or not are quite normal - but sadly does put ones guard up and more in-tune with ones-self, both body and mind.  

• Posted

Thanks, I was attending cbt once a week but it was stopped as doctors wanted to do further resting so the therapist said the cbt would be pointless until they ruled everything out.
  • Posted

I went to the doctors today who have arranged for me to have another ecg, a 24 hour heart rate monitor that wear at home and a blood test to check my thyroid. Tell doctor went to check my previous ecg but the hospital had not sent the results over. It was in the low 50s when she checked.
  • Posted

Hi just an update I've had another ecg and a blood test to check my thyroid which both came back normal. I'm now awaiting a 24 hour ecg. 
    • Posted

That's fantastic, i am sure you will be all clear. `Anxiety is the biggest and hardest disorder to overcome and come to terms with - understandably though, considering you are suffering physical symptoms with no real perceived cause = i.e... Heart and all other bodily functions working, but hard to put your mind to rest? But you will learn over time better to manage it. 
    • Posted

Thanks. It has put my mind at ease slightly my only concern now is what will the 24 hr ecg find. For some it's always in my mind that there's something physically wrong with me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.