24/7 breathing difficulties please help

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi everyone, for the past year I have been suffering terribly with difficulty breathing and its worsened over the past few weeks. I constantly feel like I'm not breathing properly or as I should be. It feels very restricted when I breathe in and this sensation doesn't go away. I'm terrified. I'm too scared to do anything. It makes day to day life extremely difficult. I've had X-Ray's, Ecgs and my sats levels are always 98 and they've all came back normal. My doctor says it's just my anxiety but I've suffered with anxiety and panic attacks for around 12 years and never experienced anything like this. I just want my life back to how it was. I can't grasp how a anxiety can make my breathing this bad. Has anyone else had the same symptoms? I feel like giving up

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

When I'm having a blown panic or anxiety attack it feels like I'm having a heart attack, heart racing , then my breathing goes weird , my head gets a feeling like i'm falling. Muscles under stress do weird things , your lungs are just basically big muscles that take in and let out air. I felt my heart skip beats when something really sets off panic.

• Posted

i am also suffering from this. im always checking my oxygen level. if you need someone to talk to i am here. i know its scary

• Posted

Like me you probably make yourself hyperventilate. Keep using breathing techniques. Also, checkout Thomas Hall on youtube 20 minute hypnosis sessions. Hang in there. You will get better. CJ

• Posted

Anxiety symptoms can change for sure! I am the same. Usually my anxiety symptoms are the usual, racing heart, palpitations, diarrhea etc. But recently, suddenly I am getting breathing trouble like yours - lot of effort during inhalation. Antacid pepcid has definitely helped me. So maybe acid reflux was part of my breathing problems. But what has helped me the most is some easy yoga. I used to do lot of yoga before my breathing issue, so doing yoga again now, brings me back to a sense of comfort and familiarity. Try your best to be gentle with yourself, do what you can for self-care, including things that bring you comfort. I speak from experience when I say symptoms never stay forever, eventually how you feel will change.

• Posted

Hi, I am the same constant breathing difficulties, like i forget how to breath, suffocation, cant take a breath. Wake up choking. I do have ashma inhailors started a new one no help. I think it could be anxiety as it us through the roof. All I can think about is how to breath. Been going on a week now. I have been struggling not to go to A E as think it could all be anxiety. I am a carer as well. Thanks for reading.

• Posted

amber,

How are you doing with your breathing? I really hope its gotten much better.

Ive been through the same thing as you. 15 months ago I had a panic attack after a traumtic experience and after that I started overbreathing. And of course this vicious cycle starts bc then you get more anxiety. I did every test possible with my family doctor, went to a lung doctor, heart doctor, blood tests, xray, ct-scan , mri, and then even a 24 hour ph study, and endoscopy with bravo test to rule out silent acid reflux. Everything came back normal except for very low iron (but not anemic) and low vitamin d. I am now working with a functional doctor. Ive been told my nervous system is on constant overdrive and my sympathetic nervous system (flight or fight) dominates my parasympathetic (rest and digest). Ive been given biofeedback breathing exercises to do twice a day. I cant believe anxiety can make a person breath like this 24hours a day for over a year and it not have gone away by now. which makes me fear if this is a forever thing. I do tell myself to calm down and it will eventually be resolved. Ive been taking an antidepressant for a month now and that took away the lump feeling in my throat and the shaking all over. But my breathing is the main problem and its the same.

• Posted

I'v been dealing with this for about half a year now and its completely de-railed my life. I have the same primary symptom that everyone here is describing (unexplained breathlessness) but what worries me is that this happens at night while I'm sleeping (or trying to).

Some people with this have reported being able to sleep while others have insomnia because of it... I'm definitely in the latter category.

As i'm laying there at night, i feel like i'm being suffocated.

This feeling is 24/7. Day and night.

Does anyone else experience this feeling of suffocation at night aswell?

If anyone needs to talk, feel free to reach out.

• Posted

Did all this shortness of breath start after a stressful situation?

Are your shortness of breath symptoms 27/4 or do they come and go? Mine are constant since they started April 2019.

Ive done endless tests and seen endless doctors and they all say it must be anxiety bc they cant find a cause. I do think that my thinking about it all the time makes it worse but its not easily ignored. i also have other symptoms, such as globus, which is a tight lump feeling in the throat. Id take the globus any day over the shortness of breath.

• Edited

Yup... I was super anxious about Covid-19 during all of November of 2020 and i would go to extreme lengths such as holding my breath around people in order to maybe decrease my chances of contracting it... however one night in early December after doing this and being very stressed while holding my breath... something just snapped... i felt short of breath and the feeling just never went away.

I'v felt constant "air hunger" ever since that one moment and it's completely ruined my life.

I'm working with breathing exercises and hope that this will correct my breathing patter.

Will update anyone on my progress.

This is so difficult and i would love to hear anyone's experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.