24/7 breathing difficulties please help

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi everyone, for the past year I have been suffering terribly with difficulty breathing and its worsened over the past few weeks. I constantly feel like I'm not breathing properly or as I should be. It feels very restricted when I breathe in and this sensation doesn't go away. I'm terrified. I'm too scared to do anything. It makes day to day life extremely difficult. I've had X-Ray's, Ecgs and my sats levels are always 98 and they've all came back normal. My doctor says it's just my anxiety but I've suffered with anxiety and panic attacks for around 12 years and never experienced anything like this. I just want my life back to how it was. I can't grasp how a anxiety can make my breathing this bad. Has anyone else had the same symptoms? I feel like giving up

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dont take any meds not prescribed for you. You do need to see doctor as soon as you can and talking to a therapist may help as well. You're very young and you will get through this. Think positive. To answer your question....yes I feel like I cant get enough air to breathe, I need to focus, close my eyes and rest for a bit and try to let the attack pass. Do you get enough sleep? If you dont, that also triggers anxiety

• Posted

This is a constant feeling of not being able to breathe . Almost like theres a block, its not a panic attack. I don't see anyone else with synptoms like mine which is making me worry 😦

• Posted

hi i am sorry you are having problems breathing. i am no expert but i would say it is part of your anxiety. You seem to be very worried, but is because you are worried its becoming an issue. if you google breathing exercises im sure it will help you. i was watching loose women on friday and they were discussing breathing exercises. they seem easy but there not. but if you practise them and once you get the hang if it you will be able to put them into practice......ie when you feel anxious. i have suffered years with anxiety but thankfully they become less frequent. If you are still worried go back to your GP and asked to be referred. They also might be support groups. Im not into them but after i went it was amazing you are not alone, many people are suffering like us. Thank God people are not scared to admit they are suffering like us. i hope you feel better

• Edited

yes I have the same problem, it's heightened anxiety, I know it's not what you want to hear, but I was normally taking a 10mg of Propranonol, I now have to take 20mg as and when required to relax my breathing.

It's not a good feeling, but I also do my breathing exercise, the technique being , imagine your stomach as a baloon, sit relaxed, breath in through your nose and fill your stomach, and slowly and gently exhale all the air through your mouth, do this for a good few minutes, I find it helps

Do you take any medication to help Anxiety..?..the Propranonol is very helpful, with no nasty side effects..

• Edited

Hi, I also have this, it will feel worse because you are constantly focusing on your breathing.. watch someone breathing without them knowing, then ask that person to focus on there breathing you will see a change. you need to try take your mind off of it..( hard I know ) like if you are out walking try focus on something external take your mind away from the breathing.. I have started CBT therapy hoping it will help with my anxiety.. I have had it on and off for 10 years sometimes it's mild sometimes worse like now. having anxiety gives you so many different feelings, i have new feelings today that i didnt feel last time my anxiety was here. I do find listening to relaxing music and doing the deep breathing helps and lots of positive thinking..

• Posted

Hi Amber,

has your breathing got any better as I have the same thing

had it for at least 6months,

I went hospital and had all the checks pulse odometer, stethoscope, blood test, x-ray , ECG and all come back perfect but this breathing issue isn't.

I constantly Google symptoms and am convinced i have emthysema but obv don't as had all checks.

I am a healthy 30 year old with up till 5months ago Was running twice a week and doing weights.

the breathing exercises I find very different and really don't help.

I got prescribed sertraline but stopped taking after 2 days as was so go foggy and dizzy.

have you managed to feel any better if so what was the advice?

Thankyou and hope your not feeling like that anymore as I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy

• Posted

hey amber, i have the exact same thing and its the most terrifying thing ever, i knock my breathing out if sync all the time and manually do the in and out motion, its literally put me in bed for weeks because i physically cant focus on anything other then my breathing, youre not alone, i thought i were then i realised others suffer too but this still provides no comfort for me, its a tackle everyday, how are you coping now?

• Posted

if you want to talk more about it please message me on here or ill happily give you my facebook and talk over there, im only 24 myself and have found no one that has the same as me so would be good to chat

• Posted

At times of very severe anxiety, I have experienced chest pain and the feeling you describe of not being able to breathe properly. My breath would keep catching in my throat and I could only manage shallow breaths. It was awful . . . could you try therapy or medication for your anxiety? It sounds like you could really do with some relief!

• Posted

Hi do you still have these and how do you tackle I just sit fear 24/7

• Posted

Hey Amber how are you today.. I am experiencing this and have felt it since Christmas. I am scared... I am worried is this COPD at 28.. (I shamefully was a smoker) I had a breathing test done and I was one point off of normal, they gave me a inhaler then I went above that pretty good. So, I am not sure? I am scared.. I just want my breathing back and I did stop smoking. I have good days here and there then randomly it hits me hard and nothing happened.. how are you

• Posted

I am going through the same thing! mine started in December as well. And I always still dealing with it.

• Posted

Hi ,

I'm going through the same thing , I've had every test done and they all came back normal. my chest feels raw and my throat is sensitive , can't take a breath in because it feels clogged. absolutely horrible I'm so sorry you are going through it also. I also have mild asthma and none of my asthma meds help . I'm tired and this is 24/7

are you on any medications?

I need to see s psychiatrist now

• Posted

Ive been with this for 15 months now. Do you feel like you cant get a deep enough breath in or out of breath like you feel after climbing a hill?

I was told that its chronic hyperventilation syndrome. I also had horrible throat symptoms (lump feeling in throat, burning horrible sore throat, chest heaviness. I even had for a while burning in my nose and muscle tension in my head and stomach. These symptoms are from over breathing. I tried zoloft and xanax and it did nothing. Im now on my fourth week of an old school antidepressant called amitriptyline. I started it after a bunch of people with similar symptoms got cured. You take it at night bc at first at it makes you drowsy. I did two weeks of 10 mg and then moved to 20 mg. My throat symptoms are gone and my chest is starting to get better. Not my breathing yet. I feel like the breathing is a habit of overbreathing that the body got used to and made it its new normal. Google "case study anxiety induced hyperventilation syndrome mayo clinic amitriptyline" and this is the study others on this forum refered to when they went up to 30 mg of amitriptyline and slowly the breathing problem went away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.