24/7 globus sensarion ,tight throat, hypersensivity, throat burps

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hello

Ive been reading through these forums for about 7 months now, basically ever since the symptoms started.. And to be honest i dont even know what im dealing with for sure..

All i know is that i had 3 endoscopies done.. First one being back in sept 2015 after complaining of tight chest and tight throat especially after a large meal ( the first test showed esophagitis,gastritis, duodenitis, basically alot of imflammation lol but no h pylori,biopsies normal) and was given pantaloc 2x day and off you go... A week later i was eating a salad and what seemed to have been a piece of fennel got caught down my esophagus.. I tried to calm myself down and drink warm water but nope, the feeling of a wedged and sharp piece of raw fennel never went away.. I immediately panicked and called 911 and i was brought to er and 10 HOURS later scoped again to see if anything was actually stuff.. According to the gastro at another hopsital ,it was free and clear yet had same findings as last one showing the inflammation and was sent home with same recommendations of taking ppis twice a day and softer foods.. Thats when my life literally turned upside down... At first it was constant burping!! Maybe i was swallowing more air than usual but id find myself burping allll day long id even induce burping so that it can relieve that pressure for at least 2 secs then it would sort of fill up again.. And as far as eating solids i was completely traumatized and id lean towards the smoothies and liquid soups... Even those i had a hard time.. Its like i was so fixed on it that id feel every little thing and id feel my esophagus fill up with whatever id try to swallow down... I went to ent and we did a fees,barium,modified barium,ct of neck,ct of abdomen,manometry you name it i did yet nothing! And trust me im a rational guy and usually good news would make a difference especially if it really is "all in ny head" but zero relief.. When i say zero i mean every single second of the day no exceptions i feel like im getting choked out plus i have these weird mini throat burps, throat gurgles and basically just feel like i constantly have something in my lower throat like below adams apple... I went to neurologist i tried amitriptyline,gapapentin,celexa even benzo like valium,xanax, ativan etc... Nothing worked not even in the slightess.. I figured if its anxiety induced shouldnt the benzos make it 2% better?? I even tried bentylol, librax,domperidone.. I became a freaking pharmacist lol its not funny but its funny because ive never been so hopeless in my life!! I dont even know what else to do... I tried meditation, massage therapy, yoga, exersizing, socializing,acupuncture (herbal medicine ie plum pit qi),nlp,psychiatry... Im honestly completely destroyed both mentally and physically.. At first i thought maybe its gerd or lpr but the ppis didnt do anything for 3 months, and i tried the opposite of that maybe too little acid,digeative enzymes, probiotics.. Literally every single thing and nothing not one minute of relief and not one ray of light at the end of the tunnel... Please any suggestions? Ill literally try anything!! Next step is probably cleveland clinic or something..

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ugh I feel your pain. My issues are hypersensitivity of the throat Google laryngeal neuropathy. This is what I have I guess and throat spasm. I am treating at mayo clinic. My issues is constant coughing like a thousand times a day. And it a harsh croup. I have sensations in my throat like pins and needles a dry patch once in a while a tightening of throat sometimes it's like my food goes down wrong pipe and I cough, I tired same meds as you and too many side effects. I do take tramadol and or drink whiskey plain before I go socialize or I may as well stay home. I told mayo I wanted to try Botox of vocal cords. It was done in May and I did not cough for one week and 5 days and it gradually came back. But when it did come back I only had 2 to 3 coughing attacks a day. That was for about 5 to 6 more weeks. I am now back to coughing a thousand times a day or getting a whiskey buzz or tramdol. I have an appt aug 31 for another Botox inj and it can't come soon enough. I was told they have to play with the dose so next time I will get a bigger dose probably. I read 3 to 4 times to get dose right. I love as also told that it's a miracle and patients have been good for 4 to 6 months. It is only scheduled once a month so from now on I will book 2 and 3 months out so I am not waiting so long. This injection makes me lose my voice for about 5 or 6 weeks. I can talk but it's breathy. I more or less gave up socializing because of this so I it doesn't matter I can't speak. The injection takes away the sensation for me to want to cough. I don't know if this is something you can try or mention. Mayo clinic in Rochester Minnesota has a cough clinic and that's where it all began. Google Botox for vocal cords for more info, maybe it can take away your throat sensation. Good luck

• Posted

OMG, you're the first one to mention all the burping, I have tired everything mentioned, small meals, waterlog myself, pills, endoscopy, drinking aloe vera juice, everything! I cant believe so many suffer from this and no solutions. Mine started 3 years ago when I was under a great deal of stress and has never left. My husband has no understanding of what I'm living in, its constant and I hate it. 

• Posted

HI SA! I'm new to this forums and was desperately seeking help as I'm feelings the exact symptoms you are.

I'm 29 year old male from Hawaii (you can still feel depressed and anxious in Hawaii).

I have been to an ENT, has my throat scoped, tested my thyroid levels and blood count, ultra-sound of neck, barium swallow, Xrays of chest and neck,etc. Everything always turns out "normal".

It's so frustrating... just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

• Posted

Hi did you get to the bottom off it. Ive got similar symptoms. I wake up feel pressure in my throat. Gets worse as the day goes on. Always at its worse before bed. Ive a barium swallow test and found no problems. I have like long periods of like dry burping every day that relieves the pain for like 2 seconds then back again. Nit sure what to do next.

• Posted

Hi everyone, I felt symptoms start in June of this year which I thought it was tonsilitus but then began to get a globus sensation. I took 14 days of Nexium and felt slightly better and didnt take anymore as it said to consult your doctor. Then the acid reflux started back up which I then consulted my doctor.My doctor prescribed me Emazole 40mg twice per day for 28 days which I started to feel less acid reflux after day 16 but still had globs sensation. I have finished Emazole and am now on Nexium for 5 months, I'm am now on week 2 of taking Nexium and I still get acid reflux and globus. I often belch and feel like I'm belching from my throat. Can anyone help me as I've seen various ideas on forums. Thanks

• Posted

I have the same exact symptoms. Been going on for 2 months. I used to have problems with gerd, but it hasn't bothered me in years. Now all of a sudden out of the blue this starts. I do have diarrhea issues. I have IBS. My neck feels tight on both sides and my throat feels tight like I'm choking. Sometimes i have flare ups and it's worse, but the sensation is 24/7 with no relief. Benzos help with any anxiety i get but the sensation never goes away. Not even for a minute. An ent took a look down there and found nothing so he sent me to a gastroenterologist who did an edg. He took a biopsy from my stomach and esophagus to look for various things. Hes sending me to get a gastric emptying test next. Mine is all day with increased symptoms often in the evening. Who knows what's going on? I don't think doctors really know what causes it, but maybe I'm wrong. It's a nuisance. I've never experienced anything like this before. I don't have a problem eating or drinking fluids. I only drink water now and avoid certain foods. I take omeprazole and Dicyclomine. Nothing really makes it any better. I've read where some patients never get rid of it. Hope that's not true. I do probiotics too. Maybe they'll get to the bottom of this. I hope, but you're not alone.

• Posted

I had Covid 3 weeks ago and I am left with this phantom air bubble sensation in the throat (I think the medical term is Globus sensation). The air bubble analogy is very good and I feel like I constantly need to burp it out. From what I've read it's quite a common post-viral presentation, so I am not that concerned right now.

I think it could be related to GERD or more likely Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR). I'm thinking the latter because I don't get any heartburn at all. I had something similar 10 years back (again after a respiratory virus) and it disappeared once I got back the gym but alas all the gyms are closed due to lockdown right now.

I wonder in the age of Covid how many people have this as a lingering symptom?

• Posted

hello, my story is similar. in march 2020 i was ill with what the dr described as the flu, they werent testing cor covid at that time but i had all the symptoms. i was sick for 10 days and started feeling better. then the shortness of breath started(chest xrays came back perfect) then a week or two after that(late april 2020) i noticed after a few bites of food i felt full and bloated) then shorlty after that(day or two) it felt as though food was not going down and was staying near my windpipe.. i had 2 er visits, one did neck/chest ct and all perfect.. then started liquid diet but even liquids feel extremely bloating and feeling of full esophagus. had an endoscopy(july 2020) and all perfect. visited an ENT, all looked good in nose thorat neck.. they referred me to Stanford to have a renowed ENT look further. stanford barium swallows(had liquid barium and solid food barium) show slight larengyal penertraion but no aspiration so no worries per them, also shows severe reflux(i have no heartburn) he said take 2 prilosec a day.. my gastro gave me a muscle relaxer to take to maybe relas the esophagus(it didnt and doesnt) went to another ENT appt with first ENT(not stanford) he said its all in my head all test are normal and i have anxiety, he said to take a xanax at night after the muscle relaxer. the xanax does not stop the symptoms but does help from freaking out about them. i spoke to the stanford ENT by phone and i asked if this coukd all ve related and a side effect of covid, to which he said, it could be and that maybe we will find out covid caused gastro issue(which we now know has been the case).. i saw my regular ent again(not stanford) and he had me do a brain MRI(i guess to see if anxiety and depression showed). MRI came back perfect.. he told me to live my life and i am fine.. i also have the sensation of my shirt being pulled from behind(a slight pressing below the adams apple) and the muscles on the side feel strained.

needless to say after all the above, i went from 190lbs to 165lbs. i have had extreme fatigue, extreme extreme brain fog, i feel a detachment from reality at times, sort of a dream like state. after all the test and procedures that have come back normal, the only thing i can come up with, is that i have long hauler Covid 19, and it has affected my gastro system. to go along with all the memory issues, brain fog extreme fatigue and loss of taste & smell periodically. i have heard that some long haulers feel relief after the 2nd vaccine dose.. i have my 2nd dose this coming friday august 20th. i am going to give that a couple weeks and see how i feel.

i truly believe there is something physical going on, but i also feel that it has affected me mentally and now i focus on it all day 24/7 i feel sick all day(i told my doctor the way i feel is how i imagine a stage 4 cancer patient feels) if not better after the vaccine, i plan on starting on paxil or similar..

ive been sick for 18 months, i have been unable to perform my job properly, and i dont want to go anywhere.. i just hope either the vaccine helps, or the anxiety/depression meds help.

i know this was a super long message. maybe someone else had had similar issues and has got relief. i will update after my vaccine or meds.

• Posted

Hi, i've been going through this for the past 6 months. 6 months ago i tested for h pylori that caused me heartburn, fullness, globe sensation, burping, and sore chest and throat. i was treated with PPI which didn't help, i have tries any possible herbs, and nothing! i did 2 endoscopy, ph monitoring, esophagues monomatry, all say that everything is ok. i guess i should do barium x-ray, and gastric empty to check them as well. Has nyone here been dealing with that too, and have any solution or something? i am freaking only 25 yo and it turned my life upside down!

• Posted

Hi. I have the same symptoms since last year. I used Sertraline and after 1 month my symptoms got much better but Sertraline gave me other side effects and I had to stop it. You also try Mirtazapine that I heard is very helpful. I think anxiety lies at the root of this problem that I already have

• Edited

Hello!

Sorry it's been a while since your post. I'm not sure if you'll even receive this! I came across your post searching for answers. I guess I'm always after successful stories of recovery as your symptoms mirror mine quite a lot!

8 years ago my nasal turbinates became swollen, mainly at home and at night. I had a full allergy test come back negative. I also got an awful post nasal drip along with this. I tried every nasal spray available to no avail, and a CT scan came back normal. I had this for 5 hellish years and the turbinates suddenly behaved normally again (though they still swell up in the shower which normally helps that condition!), but unfortunately the post nasal drip continued and became thicker. Swallowing is very difficult, I'm constantly throat clearing. I have had IBS my whole life and even though I'm incredibly healthy I suffer from indigestion and bloating. I burp maybe 100 times an hour which is relieving for about 10 seconds. I developed constant hiccups in my teens for a year and it led me to suck in air with each one. I think that's where the gas started. I went a couple of years without seeing a doctor because one told me it was all in my head, even without further tests. I do suffer with anxiety and wondered whether that was causing the lump in my throat, or even reflux. I've been on different reflux meds, many of which made it worse. My dentist found randomly too that I have a TMJ dysfunction, possibly because of jaw clenching or looking down too much all day when I work. I also have impacted molars that can't be removed. My mandible is very tender to touch, it has been for over 10 years. I wasn't sure if it was my teeth causing this or my jaw muscles. I'm unable to hold my own head to do a sit up so I guess there's a lot of tension. I wake up every morning to a sore, dry mouth and throat. I definitely don't mouth breathe but that could be the drip. I've noticed 24/7 that after each time I swallow I get a little fizzing/ gurgling in my upper throat that I don't need to open my mouth for to disperse.

It's come to my attention that nasal issues can be caused by reflux, so I'm starting to wonder if that's been the issue this whole time. Or possibly nerve issues, as that can also cause sinus irritation and atrophy. The last thing I want to do is go to my doctor like I'm the expert in Googling symptoms, I just feel so tired of trying different medications to see how it goes a few times a year. I'm currently on Omeprazole which is easing the indigestion but hasn't touched a single other symptom.

I'm sure I've missed out a load of things but I've already ranted too much! I hope you managed to get the right help or treatment!

• Posted

I was doing a google search to find answers and came across this. I am currently in this exact same predicament myself. I’ve done all the same tests and medications. Did you ever figure out an answer or solution?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.