25 y/o, reddish/purple-ish patches on breasts, worried!

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hello all,

I am a 25 y/o Caucasian female (5'5, 200 lbs, 42DD breasts). Besides my weight, I am healthy. I have been normal weight (140 lbs, 36D breasts) all my life until I gained 80 lbs between September 2013 and December 2014 due to severe depression. At my heaviest, I weighed 220 lbs. Now I am feeling my old self again and I am 20 lbs into my weight loss journey. 

So back to my breasts... I have always had large breasts, but have never had any problems with them.... until last year.

In September 2015 I developed reddish/purple-ish "spider vein" patches on both of my breasts. They are slightly more prominent on the left one. On both of my breasts, these patches are on the lowest parts of my breasts. When I am hot (let's say after a shower) they turn into a faint pinkish/reddish color and when I am cold they turn purple and blotchy. Since these patches first appeared 6 months ago, they have not changed, did not grow bigger, etc. 

I am not and have not been pregnant yet, I have no nipple discharge, my nipples are not flattening, my breasts are not swollen, not warm, no orange peel skin, etc. I have no family history of breast cancer. A year ago I went bra-free at home, so my breasts hang alot and they are heavy. Recently I started to wear a bra at home again, because I experience less discomfort wearing one.

What could these reddish/purpleish patches be? I googled telangiectasia (dilated capillaries) and the pictures seem to be very similar to what I have on breasts. Is it possible that these patches have something to do with my weight gain (even though I have already stopped gaining weight by the time they appeared), my breast size, and the fact that my breasts have been hanging alot for months before the appearance of these patches? Has any of you experienced the same symptoms? Is it something to be concerned about?

Thank you for the answers!

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Anna! I have the same thing! I never noticed it before almost 2 years ago, but it scared me for a long time! I too am very large breasted, and also very fair skinned. Are you fair skinned? I finally went to my ob gyn and had her look at them. She was not worried about it, said it looked like blood vessels and veins. She said anything that doesn't get worse, or stays the same, is not concerning. She also thought maybe irritation from wearing a bra that doesn't fit well. That was in the beginning of September. She offered an ultrasound if it still Worries me, but she said it was just veins.

Do see your doctor!! Or just watch for changes. If you're like me you're scouring the Internet for answers finding very little!! I don't think it's super common or super talked about, but for the longest time I worried about IBC. Big boobs are just the devil and have al these weird things that go with them. Good luck! Let me know how things go for you! smile

• Posted

Hello Mands1228! First of all, thank you so much for commenting, I am so glad to know that I am not alone! smile I have been google-ing this topic for a while, but I barely found anything. Yes, I am also fair skinned. Seems like this problem affects us very large chested, fair skinned women. I definitely agree that us women with large breasts have all kinds of weird things going on! :D I hope this discussion also helps other ladies who might go through the same situation as well. All the best to you, Mands1228! smile
  • Edited

Hi just wondered if you both went to the Drs and what the outcome was.

Has the area stayed the same and how big is it please. Do you have any other

Symptoms. Sorry for all the questions x

• Edited

Hi Bev, are you having similar symptoms? Mine stayed that way, and probably has been that way forever. I actually just had a breast reduction. I had several areas like that. My doctor said it was tiny veins on big ol breasts! Well she didn't say big ol, but that was the layman' version. wink

• Edited

i have the tiny red veins on my boobs too i have a heavy chest as well and i have been freaking out! glad to see im not alone here has it changed for anyone?

• Posted

So has anyone found a way to fix it or make it at least subside a bit? I get bad anxiety when it comes to talking to the Dr. And I've had whatever it is for about 4 years and get sick when I see my breasts. I'm trying to get the guts to call and make an appointment but for now, hoping people with experience with it can help for now.

• Edited

This is an old post, and you may never see this but this was a HUGE relief to read for me! I am too, overweight after having two children, and have very large breasts and fair skinned. I noticed a few days ago the red blotchiness on my left breasts and freaked out! Inflammatory breast cancer and an obsession over my breasts began. Upon closer examination tho, its just a web of broken cappillaries it looks like, no heat or pain, or anything else and seeing that others have this is amazing to read. I dont care if it never goes away as long as its not cancer I am happy!

• Edited

i am so happy to read this thread.

ive also noticed the 'rash' and been panicking for days. ive on closet inspection seen the tiny veins close to the surface.

ive been worried about IBC and hardly sleeping.

i think mine is down to having breast fed two babies and going from an A cup to a D cup and being very fair. its made the skin on my breast so thin. ive probably had these veins for some time but the hot weather has made me notice them more!

i couldnt care less if i have to have res breasts for the rest of my life as long as its not cancer!

xx

• Edited

has anything changed for you? i have the red light pinkish veins on my boobs too.

• Posted

im currently having the same thing and i am freaking out about it! how is everyone elses? did it clear up?

• Edited

hello! I am currently having the same thing! I'm 25, have 2 kids and i am currently breastfeeding. i have purplish red patches on my breast and the right one is the worst it is pretty much the whole boob! i also have psoriasis. i went to the dermatologistimage doc and they took a biopsy and i am also getting scheduled for a mammogram and breast ultrasound. i used to be super tiny ans have super small boobs like a size A and now my right is a C and my left is a B! I'm also freaked about inflammatory breast cancer! i have a 2 week wait for my biopsy results!

• Posted

@shawntee28291 any updates on yours!?

• Posted

Hi Kristen, any update on yours? Your post is identical to what I'm experiencing. i'm 32, two kids and breastfeeding. the red patch is on both breasts but covers almost all of my left. ive been to the doctor (2 different ones) multiple times now and theyve given me three different antibiotics and a topical cream. the first doctor said it was mastitis, but i know it's not. i'm incredibly frustrated and paranoid about ibc.

• Edited

hey Kristen! im 22 , usually i weigh 100-110 lbs but i recently gained 50lbs due to medication. never had any kids. Ive seen multiple doctors . was first treated for mastitis with antibiotics. was then told i definitely do not have mastitis. my last appt they said they would schedule me for an MRI and mammogram. was very very curious how yours turned out? im hoping to hear good news. @kristen335533

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.