25 y/o, reddish/purple-ish patches on breasts, worried!

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hello all,

I am a 25 y/o Caucasian female (5'5, 200 lbs, 42DD breasts). Besides my weight, I am healthy. I have been normal weight (140 lbs, 36D breasts) all my life until I gained 80 lbs between September 2013 and December 2014 due to severe depression. At my heaviest, I weighed 220 lbs. Now I am feeling my old self again and I am 20 lbs into my weight loss journey. 

So back to my breasts... I have always had large breasts, but have never had any problems with them.... until last year.

In September 2015 I developed reddish/purple-ish "spider vein" patches on both of my breasts. They are slightly more prominent on the left one. On both of my breasts, these patches are on the lowest parts of my breasts. When I am hot (let's say after a shower) they turn into a faint pinkish/reddish color and when I am cold they turn purple and blotchy. Since these patches first appeared 6 months ago, they have not changed, did not grow bigger, etc. 

I am not and have not been pregnant yet, I have no nipple discharge, my nipples are not flattening, my breasts are not swollen, not warm, no orange peel skin, etc. I have no family history of breast cancer. A year ago I went bra-free at home, so my breasts hang alot and they are heavy. Recently I started to wear a bra at home again, because I experience less discomfort wearing one.

What could these reddish/purpleish patches be? I googled telangiectasia (dilated capillaries) and the pictures seem to be very similar to what I have on breasts. Is it possible that these patches have something to do with my weight gain (even though I have already stopped gaining weight by the time they appeared), my breast size, and the fact that my breasts have been hanging alot for months before the appearance of these patches? Has any of you experienced the same symptoms? Is it something to be concerned about?

Thank you for the answers!

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm not sure if anyone will see this however any advice would be appreciated. I'm 18 and not pregnant. Around a month ago i noticed 2 small purple spider veins on my left breast under the nipple and a blue vein just above. I thought this could be due to hormonal changes as my cycled changed, I've now noticed the exact same on my right breast 2 purple spider veins under the nipple and a blue on which is making me think its nothing because they both look the same in the same places. Nothing else has changed they haven't got big and have had no pain, nothing unusual. My breasts haven't changed colour either no rashes. If i was to squeeze the skin the veins would disappear, just wondering if anyone could help?? thank you so much.

• Posted

Hello. I'm not sure if anyone will see this because this is a post from a long time ago, but I am in desperate need from some advice. For maybe slightly over a month I have noticed reddish-purplish "spider-vein" patches on both of my breast. It has appeared suddenly and is a lot more prominent in my right breast. I am 22 and have always been overweight. I had lost 65 pounds over 6 months, but because of severe restricting I started to binge eat and gained 80 pounds back in 5 months hitting 205lbs. I did gain an extreme amount of weight very quickly which had caused my breasts to grow back in size and even bigger. I was wondering if the redness is because of my sudden weight gain or if I it could possibly be IBC. My breasts are slightly warm, but I do have very warm skin and have always. They do not hurt and just feel heavy because of the weight gain. I have also always had sensitive skin and get frequent rashes, but have never experienced this type of breast discoloration. If anyone has similar experiences, anything would help. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi, im 17 years old and i have also been having this its small purple reddish and tint veins. ive been really worried even tho im so young i overthink everything even tho its probably nothing . i have big breast and although im young they are really saggy so maybe thats why

• Edited

hi all I'm currently experiencing this my right boob is bigger than my left I have the spider veins on both but more noticeable on my bigger one noticed after a shower I get red/purple patches I've been terrified the past few days about ibc I spoke to a friend and she said that if mu breaks are not hot to touch then it definitely won't be that....as she worked either cancer patients before also my breasts are cold to touch I have put on abit of weight recently which I think is why I've had these changes I am going to call the doctor as I suffer with health anxiety

• Posted

hi there im having the same red/purple on both boobs just wanted to ask did you go to the doctor and what did she tell you .can you please answer me im really scared

• Edited

i know its been a long time when you wrote tgis post but im having the same thing if you can tell me what happened to you and if you went to the doctor what did she tell you please im really scared

• Posted

mine have been this way too!! they also have dry patches around the nipple and itch

• Posted

Hi Anna. My name is also Anna and I also gained 80 lbs due to a combination of health issues. I've always had large breasts and they grew exceptionally larger and heavier with the weight gain. I realized my breasts are deep blotchy purple in the lower half against my fair skin, as well as cold to the touch. My partner says they weren't always like this. I don't think it's a problem, but I came on to echo the other replies that I'm grateful for this post because I realized I should probably look into it. My breasts are very large, very heavy and very purple. I think it's benign.

• Edited

hey everyone! i thought id hop on because i too was experiencing strange purple patches. after being just as freaked out as everyone else and knowing how terrifying it can be to notice any sudden change in the breast i wanted to give an update on my experience! ive noticed that no one has given any official updates which certainly does not help someone stuck in worse case scenario mode thanks to google. myself, like many others here am large breasted. i had a baby 4 months ago, breastfeeding did not work out for me. about a week or so ago i noticed purplish patches on both breasts that did not go away. i wasnt overly concerned at first, but then i watched a show on Netflix that brought some attention to IBC, so i looked to google for answers. who would have thought that searching "purple patches on breast" would yield results of IBC? i made an appointment as fast as i could (after having a complete mental breakdown). i had my appointment last night. my GP was positive it is just spider veins and because they are clustered, it appears as patches. i hope this helps to give any future answer seekers some peace while they await appointments, but please do not fear a visit with your dr for ANY concerns you have when it comes to sudden changes! best of luck and health to you all!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.