26cm Cyst Removed Today! Sharing information

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I decided to make a new thread because the other one was a lot of chit chat about post surgery and I wanted fo share my experience. I am 24 and was diagnosed with a 26cm x 13.5cm x 29cm about 2 and a half weeks ago after a routine exam.

To start, I got a call yesterday to let me know that I was to arrive at 6:15am, and surgery was at 8:00am. The hospital is about an hour and 20 minutes from where we live so we got up at 3am and arrived early at 5:40am and they proceeded to check me in. After waiting for maybe 5 minites, they called me into the back to prep for surgery without my spouse. They said once I was all prepped, she could come and wait with me.

First thing I did was strip down and take out my piercings. They collected a urine sample to test for pregnancy. They proceeded to start an IV on me. Started on the hand, but too much movement caused her to lose the vein. So they did it in the middle of my under arm. Surprisinfly, they injected me with a numbing agent before both, which barely hurt and the only thing that I felt was pressure! With that being said, I opted to NOT have having the epidural catheter that was offered for pain management and went with extra pain control intervenously despite any side affects that may occur.

So because I was feeling anxious before surgery so they have me Versed(?) and wow, I was on cloud nine! I also was given oral pain medicine as well, some as big as a horse pill but I had take it.

I met with a bunch of pre op nurses, resident doctors, my surgeon and my anesthesia team. They asked me some questions and I asked a lot of questions. The resident doctor said my right ovary and tube would likely have to be removwd due to extrextremely large cyst.

I eventually get wheeled off into surgery which i

remember. The last thing I remember is lying in surgery and being told to breathe into a mask 10 times.

Next thing I remember is waking up in recovery ansolutelty freezing! They gave me more blankets and checked my vitals. The pain wasn't awful but definitely 8/10. I was so anxious I felt like I was going to have a panic attack so they tried to finish up and get me to my hospital room asap.., I was in recovery for an hour and a half and surgery was 2 hours. AND they were able to keep my ovaries intact! The resident doctor said it couldn't have gone any better. I'm on my period so they let me keep a tampon in during pre-opt and then they took it out in the surgery room for me.

Wnen I went to my room I had a lot of people ask how I was doing and how they were in the surgery room and already met me but I had no idea who they were LOL In my room they added morphine into my IV and gave me Clomipen(?) to calm me down. I also have some fancy socks and my lega are in padded devices (like the ones you use to check blood pressure). My catheter was still in up unti 4 hours ago. I've had to make my way to the bathoom with assistance and it was painfull. Whenever I was in there, I felt like dizzy, nauseous, panicking and like I was freezing and about to pass out. I make my way back to the bed as fast as I can. I'm in pain but not being to stand is an issue and my vitals are fine so maybe I shoud ask for an anti-anxiety medication. However, they are currentlh rotating me on morphine in the IV and oral Purcasets(?).

I have a good appetite and they said if I'm doing well, I could possibly leave tomorrow however I plan on requesting an extra day regardless. Although I had a laparotomy, and they originally thought it would have vertical from my bellybutt down, they ended up doing a horizontal bikini cut.

They drained 6 litres of liquid, so abour 13-14 pounds of weight loss I will be getting! They will be sending a biopsy as well for cancer screening and they think its highlt unlikely. And just note for anyone who hasn't followed my last thead, the CT scan results indicate it is most likely a serous cystadenoma, a benign cyst. They suggested l go on birth control to decrease the risk of them reoccuring.

Anyway, I think that's. And yes, I am high as a kite while writing this, it's taken me an hour to type this out on my phone... Haha!

All and all the pain is alright, and I'm getting more comfortable with the medical procedures. It is not as scary as you think it will be, everyone was right. If anyone has any queations, or wants to add anything, please do!!

2 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just got the pathology report back. 100% bebign/cancer free cyst. smile

• Posted

Happy for you. Heal...and enjoy life. Each day is our gift. Life lessons are sometimestill painful. But this is how we grow.
    • Posted

Thank you. Cancer was the first thing I thought off when I found out I had such a large mass in my abdomen, that it was like my life flashed before my eyes all throughout the weekend (2 weeks ago) before my CT scan results came back in that clarified a few things and eased my mind a bit. I don't have a history of ovarian cancer on my mom's side and I don't know a lot about my dad's side however both my mom's brother and her mom (my grandma) died from the exact same brain tumor, which is extremely rare - and proves it is genetic.

Overall the surgery couldn't have had a better outcome fingerscrossed I don't have another one come back, but if I do, I would definitely come back here to have it removed providing I'm still living in the US and haven't moved back to Canada. UAB Teaching Hospital in Birmingham, AL is top notch, would recommend. Especially Dr. Kerri Bevis!

• Posted

I knew it would be. So happy for you now you can just focus on getting better. Thinking about you biggrin Rest and drink lot of fluids.

• Posted

First day being home full time. I am definitely feeling a lot more sore being on 1 percocet every 4 hours versus 2 every 4 hours + morphone in the hospital. I am making a point to walk, but no bending or lifting. I managed to have a shower standing up without issue. Took a stool softner as I am passing gas but haven't had a bowel movement since Monday.

My incision looks awesome! My stomach is so flat now, weighed myself today and I did indeed lose 13 pounds. I'm so happy to have it removed, and it's amazing how much better I feel mentally and physically. I haven't had much of a labido for several months and now I feel like maybe the cyst had something to do with that, being of how I'm feeling now that it is removed.

My spouse went to pick up a copy of my CT scan results today (since we left the other copy with the surgeon) as to keep for my own records and the girl at the front were amazed to hear I didn't lose any reproductive organs and that they didn't have to do a vertical incision to remove it. Apparently one of the receptionisrs is married to the main Radiologist at that imagining center and he apparently told everyone there my cyst was the biggest he's ever seen in scan before. His report uses the words "massive" and "huge" several times so that's not surprising lol

• Posted

justfromerica I read someones doctor said walk 25 min a day broken up in five to 10 min walks. I can so relate to being happy the huge alien is gone and the flat stomach .I lost 40 lbs in the last year trying to get rid of my stomach so when they removed the huge cyst and I lost 30 I was smaller than I had been in years overnight. Keep taking the stool softeners as directed on the bottle. If you dont have a bowel movement soon and think you should have by your diet contact your doctor as to wether you should take a laxative. The pain meds can constipate you. Glad your feel better. I hope you keep feeling better and heal quickly.biggrin

• Posted

I'm so glad for you. The fear has been put behind you. You can move forward, heal and return to your healthy self like before the beast invaded your body. ;-)

Next time something big comes along just remember you have nothing to fear but fear itself. You are strong, faced the fear and conquered it!

Glad you're healing so well. How's it going with the critters at home. Are they letting you rest. They must be because your posts sound so happy. Yay!!!

• Posted

The pets are leaving me alone for the most part haha I have a little area blocked off on the couch so they can't access me as easily. smile

• Posted

It's no wonder you're sore having had such a "massive" tumor that you came out of surgery 13 lbs. lighter! And it's  wonderful they didn't remove any organs!

• Posted

I'm very pleased overall. I should barely have a scar at all. Very happy with the gyno oncologist surgeon I chose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.