26cm Cyst Removed Today! Sharing information

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I decided to make a new thread because the other one was a lot of chit chat about post surgery and I wanted fo share my experience. I am 24 and was diagnosed with a 26cm x 13.5cm x 29cm about 2 and a half weeks ago after a routine exam.

To start, I got a call yesterday to let me know that I was to arrive at 6:15am, and surgery was at 8:00am. The hospital is about an hour and 20 minutes from where we live so we got up at 3am and arrived early at 5:40am and they proceeded to check me in. After waiting for maybe 5 minites, they called me into the back to prep for surgery without my spouse. They said once I was all prepped, she could come and wait with me.

First thing I did was strip down and take out my piercings. They collected a urine sample to test for pregnancy. They proceeded to start an IV on me. Started on the hand, but too much movement caused her to lose the vein. So they did it in the middle of my under arm. Surprisinfly, they injected me with a numbing agent before both, which barely hurt and the only thing that I felt was pressure! With that being said, I opted to NOT have having the epidural catheter that was offered for pain management and went with extra pain control intervenously despite any side affects that may occur.

So because I was feeling anxious before surgery so they have me Versed(?) and wow, I was on cloud nine! I also was given oral pain medicine as well, some as big as a horse pill but I had take it.

I met with a bunch of pre op nurses, resident doctors, my surgeon and my anesthesia team. They asked me some questions and I asked a lot of questions. The resident doctor said my right ovary and tube would likely have to be removwd due to extrextremely large cyst.

I eventually get wheeled off into surgery which i

remember. The last thing I remember is lying in surgery and being told to breathe into a mask 10 times.

Next thing I remember is waking up in recovery ansolutelty freezing! They gave me more blankets and checked my vitals. The pain wasn't awful but definitely 8/10. I was so anxious I felt like I was going to have a panic attack so they tried to finish up and get me to my hospital room asap.., I was in recovery for an hour and a half and surgery was 2 hours. AND they were able to keep my ovaries intact! The resident doctor said it couldn't have gone any better. I'm on my period so they let me keep a tampon in during pre-opt and then they took it out in the surgery room for me.

Wnen I went to my room I had a lot of people ask how I was doing and how they were in the surgery room and already met me but I had no idea who they were LOL In my room they added morphine into my IV and gave me Clomipen(?) to calm me down. I also have some fancy socks and my lega are in padded devices (like the ones you use to check blood pressure). My catheter was still in up unti 4 hours ago. I've had to make my way to the bathoom with assistance and it was painfull. Whenever I was in there, I felt like dizzy, nauseous, panicking and like I was freezing and about to pass out. I make my way back to the bed as fast as I can. I'm in pain but not being to stand is an issue and my vitals are fine so maybe I shoud ask for an anti-anxiety medication. However, they are currentlh rotating me on morphine in the IV and oral Purcasets(?).

I have a good appetite and they said if I'm doing well, I could possibly leave tomorrow however I plan on requesting an extra day regardless. Although I had a laparotomy, and they originally thought it would have vertical from my bellybutt down, they ended up doing a horizontal bikini cut.

They drained 6 litres of liquid, so abour 13-14 pounds of weight loss I will be getting! They will be sending a biopsy as well for cancer screening and they think its highlt unlikely. And just note for anyone who hasn't followed my last thead, the CT scan results indicate it is most likely a serous cystadenoma, a benign cyst. They suggested l go on birth control to decrease the risk of them reoccuring.

Anyway, I think that's. And yes, I am high as a kite while writing this, it's taken me an hour to type this out on my phone... Haha!

All and all the pain is alright, and I'm getting more comfortable with the medical procedures. It is not as scary as you think it will be, everyone was right. If anyone has any queations, or wants to add anything, please do!!

2 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I loved reading this! You have done so well!! I hope your recovery is swift and smooth x

Percocet can cause dizziness light headedness so that may be the culprit there.

• Posted

Did anyone experience numbing or lack of sensation around the incision area? I just noticed while in the shower that I can't really feel anything right over the incision and about 1/2 inch around the surgical site. I know they had to cut through some nerve endings, but I'm curious if I will ever regain feeling in that area?

• Posted

Depends, 50/50. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes not. I have nerve damage on a finger incision. Resigned myself to no feeling again. But when rubbing it for warmth I found some sensation. I have been massaging it daily for several years and the majority of feeling has returned. Sometimes it's tingly but better than no feeling.

Massage daily with Vit. E oil, bio oil or the like. Will help healing and stimulate area.

• Posted

Will do.

It's not the end of the world if the feeling doesn't come back, just wanted to make sure that was fairly common.

• Posted

I thought so too but about a year later suddenly started cramping. My abdomen does that too. Just have to breathe through it. There's no way to stretch it out. Massaging there has helped a lot too.

• Posted

It's normal to have numbness near the incision and it can take a long time for feeling to return and it may never be 100%.

• Posted

14 days post op and I essentially feel pain-free. Occasional sharp pain and some dull pain but I'm only taking 1-2 percocets a day and it seems to be enough.

Even though I feel fine, should I still not attempt to do a lot? I feel like I can help out with regular chores but don't want to push myelf.

• Posted

Dont push yourself to much two weeks isnt that long. Did they doctor give a timeframe for activities.? Your still healing that takes at least three months
    • Posted

Not really. Just said I should wait about 4 weeks before going back to my active job. I have my post-op appointment on September 26.

I took my dog to the dog park on Saturday with my spouse and I didn't do much but stand there and felt fine but on my way home I felt dizzy. But I feel like I can do little chores around the house without being in pain. I think the side effects from the pain meds are worse.

• Posted

Focus mostly on walking/moving not lifting. You had a lot of work done you can't see. Inside takes longer than outside. Fold laundry, not load machines or lift baskets. Dust, not vacuum, etc. 2 weeks is when I started feeling human again but I wore out fast trying to do too much. I know you want to get back to your routine but focus on walking and building your strength. Don't be surprised if you crash your first week back to work. Just take care of you. xx

• Posted

By the way is it normal to have a lot of vaginal discharge after surgery? Like just clear kind of goopy discharge but not like infection, essentially like the vagina is just self-cleaning itself more than usual?
  • Posted

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am going to be going through a similar procedure too and it's reassuring to hear good experiences.

Best to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.