2nd lot of antibiotics for chest infection and no improvement

Posted , 7 users are following.

Help!! I am on my 2nd lot of Cephalexin antibiotic for a chest infection and have 2 days to go. I have seen no improvement though and am feeling very unwell. I understand I have to finish the whole course but feel there should be some improvement. Today I need to make a decision do I sit it out until Monday and go back to the doctors or should I be taking this more seriously and go to our walk in centre to get checked out? I really don't want to go out as I feel so unwell but I worry with the MTX that maybe I need a different antibiotic.... They do have problems prescribing antibiotics for me as I am allergic to penicillin and am on MTX

0 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Great news and thank you everybody yet again for the amazing support you give. Long story short I have a new antibiotic to start immediately which he checked 3 different ways that it is ok with MTX... He seemed very up on MTX. If I get any worse over the next 48 hours or after 48 hours no improvement go to hospital for IV treatment. I asked how could I get him as my doctor 😂😂😂 I have to move! Also he said to go to my doctors and get a chest x ray done. He said he didn't want to put me in hospital on a Saturday for an x ray... Just gotta get across the road now to the pharmacy 😳😳😂😂😊☀️☀️☀️☀️
    • Posted

Oh hoorah!!  You sound better already, isn't it amazing the difference a doctor, who knows what he is doing, can make.

• Posted

I want him as my doctor! Mentioned Trimethoprim to him and he was appalled that my doctors had given me it! Crap TV for me now and a heating bill that's gonna be through the roof! 😳😳😊😊😊 xxx
    • Posted

I'm appalled by how my doctor gave me those antibiotics too as rheumy told me stop mtx until I'm told to start again as they interact you put you're trust in them & they still get it wrong I've had to take calcium tablets for 1 week x
    • Posted

They still will take no responsibility for it although amongst most of the medical profession it is well known as a definite no. I have lost trust in my doctors and double/treble check everything which is the last thing you should need to do, especially when you feel so bad in the first place. I ended up in hospital on the trimethoprim x
    • Posted

😂😂😂🙊🙊🙊🙈🙈 more like 'shaddup he's mine innit'! 😂😂😂
  • Posted

When I have had chest infection and gone on antibiotics I have to stop taking the methotrxate. This makes sense as well as the mtx lowers 

your immune system whereas if u r not well u need to be able to fight the 

infection. I self inject 20 mg a week. I have Anca vasculitis. This has happened to me twice & Dr wouldn't let me go back on mtx until infection completely cleared, however, it took me about 5 weeks or more before I started to get to where I had been.  Felt really rotten at the time but did eventually pick up. Surprised your Dr kept u on mtx though as your lowered immune system will be stopping you getting better. Hope you are on track now. Kind regards. Foxy lady

• Posted

Hey foxy lady 😊 my doctors said to definitely take the MTX even with the chest infection and antibiotics. I actually managed to get through to my rheumys secretary and they came back and said definitely not! My doctors surgery and rheumatology dept are in a battle as to who takes responsibility for what. Unfortunately that leaves me in the middle of their 'pride' battle. I will not take MTX this week definitely. Keep it foxy 😂😊😊 x
    • Posted

I was feeling awful last weekend & the helpline said I would as the antibiotics shouldn't of been given & interacted with the mtx so.thats why they gave me the folinic acid I had stomach cramps so bad it's so worrying that they put my health a risk. Not taking any more mtx until I'm told too. X
    • Posted

It's a shocking error. It made me very unwell too. Yet they told me to take the MTX still on the Monday. It is worrying. I double, treble check all interactions now which is kind of doing the doctors job for them. The frustration with lack of help with this drug doesn't make it any easier x
    • Posted

I was told that only a Consultant can prescribe MTX and all the other doctors have to refer back to the prescriber.  Certainly for all the problems I have with NHS staff, they always refer me back to my Consultant when there is an issue with MTX.

• Posted

They always refer me back to the consultant but then he tells me that particular issue is the GPs responsibility 😩😩 sorry I've not replied properly to e mails yet. I will. Just feeling grotty and limited screenwork ☀️☀️😊😊 xxxx
  • Posted

Hi Lisa

Go back to doctors, and if he/she is NO help, go to walk in centre.

The surgery will be charged about £ 70-00 for you turning  up there.

To make a point if the receptionist will NOT give you an early appointment tell he that you are going to the walk in centre.

• Posted

I've now had a doctor come out to me who has told me if no improvement or worse in the next 48 hours to go straight to hospital

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.