2nd TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Well had my 2nd TKR on April 11. I believe it when they say no two are the same. With this one I became hyper sensitive to touch. I couldn't lift my leg at all No one could touch my leg and my thigh swelled up to two times it's normal size. I'm black and blue from top of thigh to bottom of calf. I am just now able to lift leg with no help. Walking has been easier then last time and as long as I'm in the house I can walk unassisted. My biggest problem is the swelling. I have been icing twenty four seven. And I'm still swollen from my thigh to my ankle. What should I do? Pain wise it is a lot less then the other one. I am also taking ibuprofen for the swelling. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Mary - you are just beginning - just keep icing.  My second one was a sweller too, more than the first.  Same too with the bruising from quad to calf for me- it'll go away - just ice - take your meds and take it ez!  Sending positive thoughts your way!

• Posted

The leg lifting matter will improve.  I am almost 6 weeks post op and have only been able to do a straight leg raise  (easily) about a week ago. Slowly it will get stronger. Up til then it felt like a large elephant was sitting on it AND it was superglued to the bed!    I massaged mine gently... I am not sure if it helped with the swelling but I thought in theory it should.  While elevated I would gently massage towards the heart, maybe your physio could show you a technique for doing this or google on the internet.   
  • Posted

Hi Mary!

I had A LOT of swelling with my first TKR. Ice didn't help much although I kept at it faithfully.

The GameReady machine at PT helped a great deal. It compresses your leg while icing it. Great machine! I would have bought one , but they are $2000, so forget THAT!

Our son is an elite athlete who runs Ultramarathons, does Crossfit and Ironman competitions and ALSO regularly lays on the floor after workouts with his legs up the wall. He suggested that I sit on the bed and then turn and put my legs up against the headboard to elevate. Using a looped belt around the foot helps the leg get up against the headboard. This elevation produced instant relief. You are safe because you are in bed. (I couldn't use my son's method as he does ON THE FLOOR, but this adaptation worked great for me.

Compression stockings ( thigh-high) help, too.

Drink lots of water to rid the body of toxins. It helps relieve swelling.

Ibuprofen helps.

Watch salt intake.

The body swells as it protects itself from trauma Knee surgery DEFINITELY is TRAUMA!

Walking around each hour throughout the day and often throughout the night, too, was a help to me in those first month's.

Sending prayers tonight that you will feel much better very soon!??

• Posted

Thanks Chery got the swelling down. Now if pt had not sat and rubbed the bruise until I couldn't stand anymore and was crying. Now the bruising is worse. Thank god I don't go back till next Thursday. Hopefully by then the bruising will be better.

• Posted

Oh Mary that sounds absolutely horrible! Where do they get these people from torturers r us!!

Happy healing

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

I've got to admit, if I went to a physio who made me cry there is no way I'd go back again!!!!!  It would be 'end of' as far as I was concerned.  But having said that, my experience of physios, for various problems, has never been anything but bad.  I've always ended up with more pain than I started that needed dealing with in other wasy (TENS etc).  So it might just be that I've got no faith in most of them.  My physio in hospital was wonderful though - they are so gentle there and encouraging - it worked for me!

• Posted

Young 20 year olds that have no idea how painful TKR' s can be.

• Posted

Yep & that's the problem we are having to deal with. They come out of uni, know it all, but no life experience. I think all physios who treat TKR patients should have endured the procedure themselves! Lol! It's all very well for them, they have no real idea of the pain involved & the fact that it doesn't just go away when we go home!!!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

If you see that physio again tell them firmly that they are not allowed to cause you pain.  short and simple!  There's no need for additional pain. If they say you need to have your legs rubbed ask them how to do it and tell them you will do it yourself!  You will have more compassion for you limb I am sure! mad

• Posted

Yes, agree completely!   I had very good physiotherapists in hospital and a wonderful community physiotherapist.   But pre operatively, physiotherapists I saw were very well intentioned and did their best, but didn't have the experience necessary, I don't feel, to work successfully with 50 plus people with chronic joint degeneration. Not only did I get the distinct feeling that they felt I was over exaggerating the pain, but they seemed to putting me in a category of not needing to walk and be mobile...???  Quality of life seems to go out the window as a consideration for anyone over 40 in many young physiotherapists thinking.  It's not good, but I have to say, when I think about how I was before 30 I probably would have been the same.  Anyone over 50 was an old person!!!!   cheesygrin

• Posted

Maybe we don't get over enough just how stoical us older folk are!  So when we say there is pain - there is really PAIN!!!

• Posted

Having never gone through anything like this they just do not understand!

And yes we are stoical because we have lived a life & most of us in the Boomer generation been brought up to not make a fuss!!

I don't know the younger generation eh?? Lol!

I still think most physios are trained by torturers r us!!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

She can't see me next appointment as she is busy and I get to train in a new one yeah! Lol

• Posted

Touché. I think if they hurt us we should be able to hurt them in return. Lol

• Posted

Well, hopefully it will be a pleasant surprise.  It could be.  Often they simply don't know any better.  At least telling them, which can be done nicely, gives them a chance to improve their understanding.  In the end, the only way they can learn is from what patients tell them. Some can listen and just not hear...just not "get it" and others will completely understand.  I personally feel that people who are really able to listen to their patients are likely to be the best at their work. biggrin

• Posted

I like that LOL!  Sort of 'see this knee - wait until you're standing in front of it and it might suddenly jerk up' LOL!

• Posted

Hi Mary!

Why would anyone RUB A BRUISE? What was the point of doing that? A bruise is evidence of injury and trauma to the tissues. Bruises go away on their own as the body heals and the excess blood gets reabsorbed.

Tell the PT "Hands OFF!"😬

• Posted

I rather enjoyed my beautifully coloured bruise!  It was outstanding LOL!  So, like you Cheryl, wonder why anyone would be rubbing it??????  They go fast enough on their own.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.