2nd TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Well had my 2nd TKR on April 11. I believe it when they say no two are the same. With this one I became hyper sensitive to touch. I couldn't lift my leg at all No one could touch my leg and my thigh swelled up to two times it's normal size. I'm black and blue from top of thigh to bottom of calf. I am just now able to lift leg with no help. Walking has been easier then last time and as long as I'm in the house I can walk unassisted. My biggest problem is the swelling. I have been icing twenty four seven. And I'm still swollen from my thigh to my ankle. What should I do? Pain wise it is a lot less then the other one. I am also taking ibuprofen for the swelling. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Mary, like you into my 2nd omg I had forgotten was the pain was like, I am icing heating, taking coding 30/100 and 400 ibroufern, but nothing seems to help, doing my exercises, but all I keep thinking is the outcome of the 1st it's amazing no pain. This time I have cronicnic pain not only in the knee but in the hip. My last leg bruised terrible, but this one hasn't. Good luck and hopefully soon all tkr patients will become pain free.

• Posted

Hey Chris, I haven't had this me to forget about the pain as the first one still hurts. It has only been 5 1/2 months since the first one. I agree they need to come up with better pain control and pt that have a clue about how much pain there is in a TKR. Hope yours heals fast and the pain lessens. I believe we are a rare breed to go thru this not once but twice.

• Posted

Did your PT have any useful suggestions? Some people find massaging helpful, might be worth a try in a couple of weeks time?
    • Posted

I don't know at that point her digging her fingers into the worst bruise hurt so bad I couldn't even listen to her. I just wanted the pain to stop. The next day that bruise was so painful and solid deep purple all I could do was cry. That was last Thursday and it is still dark purple and painful to touch. But I don't have her this week and hopefully the other person won't be so rough.

• Posted

Mary, I've got to say it.  If it were me, I wouldn't see the other person who did that to the bruise.  I'd be off!  This just all makes me SO grateful that my hospital had the physio come round the day of the op to introduce you to the walker and the exercises, and the next day to change the walker to crutches and make sure you can get about, and those with stairs could manage them, then send you off with the leaflet and cd to get on with it and go back at 6 weeks to show them you can walk without aids and without a limp.   So the responsibility is down to the patient.  It worked for me!!!!

• Posted

Unfortunately I take pt at a private site. The hospital is a half hour drive away and pt is 2 minutes from my home so that is one difference. And believe me no one is going to do that to me ever again! I will walk out and issue a complaint. My normal one I had last time was full but I've put in a request to switch as soon as she has an opening. I go Thursday morning and will issue a complaint about her. I go to the doctor today to have stitches removed and asking for different pain relief as I have been up every night for two weeks and can't take the pain anymore. Thanks all for listening to me vent. Good and fast healing to you all!! ??

• Posted

I was surprised when I asked the hospital where they did my knee (over an hour's drive away) if I went to a more local place for physio - hoping they didn't want me back at the actual hospital once a week or whatever.  So was surprised when they said they just gave me a leaflet and cd.  Maybe I was even shocked.  But I guess they're finding this isn't normally a problem for patients, otherwise I do think they'd be changing their policy.  They have a very patient 'pro' policy there and I do think they do everything they can for them.  But again, it's one of those things that various things work best for various people, no doubt:-))))

• Posted

Yes! Indeed! I used arnica cream on my bruises...Gently applied I hasten to add!😐

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.