2wks post op Bunionectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi! Just updating from my surgery! I had a plate, 2screws & 1 pin placed in my foot from my severe bunion !! I had my stitches trimmed today 2wks after surgery,I was scared of looking st my foot for the 1st time after a big trauma but the scar is not as bad as I thought, it looks neat, but sore but no swelling Hardly at all, but I have the removable cast on now also using the bunion boot! I have been advised to still continue walking on my heal! Am just wondering if anyone else who's had similar or same surgery find the cast irritating your scar at all?? I feel like it could easily get infected too?? I have been Feeling a tightening were the plate has been put in, am also wondering if that feeling will go or ease of? Also can u drive with the cast on as am unsure? Would be great to have a reply to this! Thank you!

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was able to drive with the boot as soon as I could without the pain, and no, the boot was not irritating the scar.  It was covered in gauze.  At 8 weeks I was so happy to be able to get in my heels.  I think the tight feeling is normal.  You have to do your physical therapy religiously to be able to have full range of motion on your foot or it will remain stiff for ever.
    • Posted

It's not the boot that irritates me it's the removable cast?? I am 2weeks post op and am not back now for another 5wks to see My surgeon but I don't want to wear this cast and boot for another 5weeks 😳😳😳

• Posted

Is it the kind that you put on with velcro???  That is what I had. I didn't wear past one week after the visit to remove the stitches.  I put a huge bandaid with neosporin on the incision and wore sandals.

• Posted

What surgery did you have? Did you have a plate or screws inserted? I have been walking on my heal! I also have noticed a blister on my big toe a tiny On underneath it! But am happy as I don't have swelling or brusing! YET!! Yeah ta the cast with Velcro strap across but not sure how long I have to wear this as I heard you have to leave it on to help the bones fix properly or it could damage the bones in the future if not!

• Posted

Bunion surgery on both my feet with about inch or inch and a half screw on both.  No plate.  Yes that surgical shoe is what I had. I wore it to leave the house for proctection and yes, walk on your heel.  Your body lets you know when you can start putting pressure on your foot.  Common sense
    • Posted

I had surgery nov10th 6 weeks in bunion boot and heavy gauge bandaid. When removed was so happy to walk out in my runners that is when all the swelling started
    • Posted

Did you have swelling due to doing to much too soon? What is a gauge bandage?
    • Posted

I did not have swelling cause when I was not on my feet I always put my foot up
    • Posted

Gauze that was i kept my foot up day and night and iced a few times a day was told swelling is natural after bandages r removed
    • Posted

I can't ice it with the removable cast though!

I thought the swelling only comes if your in your feet too long ??

My foot isn't swollen at all, it was swollen for the 1st wk then it went right down! Just am worrries about the little water blister on the bottom of my big toe! Can't wait for it all to be normal again! Am worried about walking in my foot properly too!

• Posted

I went for physio because my ankle was so stiff from the bunion boot I wore. My foot will still swell or ache some days. Was told to think heel toe when I walked.
    • Posted

Oh really?

My ankle was horrendous for the 1st week, eased Of when started doing ankle exercises all the time!

Not a speedy recovery really is it!

• Posted

A very slow recovery and i tripped twice hurt my foot which didn't help things. Good luck

• Posted

I was icing the foot when I had all my bandages on but in a propper ice bag also covered in a layer of material & it helped bring down my swelling tremendously!! The nurses today was surprised I had hardly any swelling!! But am just going to elevate now as high as possible peeks out of the day!

• Posted

higher than your heart is what you need.  Elevating it helps so much.  I was specifically told not to ice the foot and just ice behind the knee.  Can't stress enough on the PT though when you are able to because I've talked to people who had the surgrey 10 years ago and didn't and all they can wear is sandals or tenis shoes.

• Posted

I think you only need to ice behind the knee if your knees hurt from not been as mobile or if it hurts from elevating the foot maybe !
    • Posted

Kaiser Santa Clara discharge nurse told me that.  I dont really know why but I followed all the instructions.  The ice thing was only for the first week when the swelling was really bad.  Second week and past that I didn't need it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.