3 antibiotics and nothing. Please HELP :(

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all.

So, it all started over 2 weak ago. I developed a uti. I knew it was uti straight away since I had it before. Same visible symptoms like burning when urinating and stinging. I called the surgery and got antibiotics for 3 days Nitrofurantoin,finished it and it came back WORSE after 2 days. When to see doctors again gave the pee sample had a little blood got antibiotics for 7 days Trimethoprim, got a little better but when I finished it came back again after 2 days. When to the doctors again and got co-amoxiclav for 7 days. I'm currently on it but I'm in pain all the time. Im shivering, sweating a lot at night, it's burning constantly. sad pee is yellow no matter how much I drink (cranberry juice, nettle tea, water). My back was killing yesterday at night. I gave 2 pee samples one came back normal with no infection yet antibiotics helped only for the time I was actually taking it. I have no idea what else to do sad my doctors wants to take some swabs in a week time but I'm pretty sure the bacteria is still developing. Sigh. Maybe it's a kidney infection.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi  Monica,

I'm sorry but I can't figure out how to do a private chat on here..if you can then feel free and I'll be able to reply that way or you can email me..Don't panic..I did and It didn't help..I had the same situation starting the first week of May..hadn't had a bladder infection in 14 years but oh I knew what it was...I got an antibiotic simply because I suffer from Vulvodynia for the last few years which can affect my urethra very painfully so I was a afraid the bladder infection would trigger that and I ran for an antibiotic..I wish I hadn't..like you things went from bad to worse..it didn't work and I went back and got a different one..that made me feel way way worse..I then went back and got a third one and things got worse again...the pain was unbearable and the Vulvodynia went haywire etc..I don't do well with medications and the side effects on top of the illness were horrendous ..each one worse than the last...I ended up in hospital as I couldn't take any more...I was given bladder tablets called urispas to stop the bladder from spasming which had gone in to over drive...those tablets nearly killed me ..I have a heart problem and I spent a week flat on my back after three tablets with a temp of 107 and intense rigger...my own gp helped me through that but was very upset by it ...Eventually I got desperate and went anywhere for help..took me till last week to get back on my feet after this, and am still terrified of what happened...I found out that 90 % of Uti are caused by bacteria  called E. coli...the other 10 % are different but it's unusual...I tried several times to find out what mine was and always was told it was a mixed growth?...so I thought I'd assume it was E. coli and see what happens...a thing called D Mannose works on uti but only if its E. coli..I had nothing to lose at this point and neither do you ...it's available in any health food store and some other shops too..some chemists or pharmacies have it also..I'd  go to a health food store to be sure...you can get it capsule form or powder form...you have to get the powder....you put a teaspoon in a glass of juice or water but only a small amount of water or juice is needed ..like a quarter of a glass...stir and drink and wait an hour...then drink tons of water ..then go to the loo...do this three times a day for three days then cut down and and stop when your feeling better...my gp told me this as he could see nothing else was working..I doubt they usually recommend these things...I also did my research, it's a simply sugar that we already have on the body..it's already in our bladder in small amounts...the ecoli bacteria feeds on it..hence they latch on to the bladder walls and lining causing the uti....d mannose doesn't get used in the body, it's simply sugar we don't use..you take it in powder form...the kidneys can't use it and dump the whole lot in to your bladder where it floats...the bacteria Unattach from the bladder wall to eat the bigger d mannose particals than they are getting on the wall...you drink and they build up and they flush out still attached to the d mannose when you pee...ifs it's E. coli which Itmost likely is then you'll feel better by tomorrow...take it once a week after that as a preventative , especially before or after sex...as that's the main cause of uti in women...me I'm simply new letting my husband near me again after this hell but I know that's not really an option for us all😀....I replied as I see your in the same hell I was and I don't want you getting worse..keep sending in samples and they will stay clear after this I promise...get it as fast as you can and try it...you have nothing to lose and everything to gain...pleas let me know how you are ...also I've now been told my loads of people that although cranberry is a good tool in preventing utis, it's something that can actually make them way worse once you already have one...so I cut that out straight away and you need to do that too ..

Lisa from Ireland 

• Posted

Oh my god Lisa. Thank you so much for your reply and effort in trying to help me. I feel so much better knowing that I'm not alone in this. It's just that three years ago I had the same situation. I was running from one hospital to another to get all the tests done and nothing. I've never tried d-mannose, so I'm definitely gonna send my boyfriend to the shop to get it ASAP. My doctor never tells me the result of the culture, he usually says "normal or" not normal" but never the specific which is annoying sad

Vulvodynia sounds like a horrible illness and so sorry to hear that you struggle with it. I hope you will get better and it hopefully it won't bother you anymore ever again!

Us women have thought life with all those utis and similar illnesses and men never will really understand the pain of it, only those that had it.

I will keep you updated on how I feel but honestly I'm so thankful for your reply Lisa! smile

P. S. I will also stop drinking cranberry as currently I'm drinking 1litre a day.

Monica from UK

• Posted

Hi Monica,

Your doctor is treating you like a child!  You have a right to know what that culture is growing!  Next time, I'd suggest you insist on knowing.  It's your body, after all! xx

• Posted

If you don't have a kidney infection, you might develop one soon enough.   The cultures they're going to run will take more than 24 hours to grow the bacteria.  Is there another doctor you can see?  

• Posted

Hi Lynda. Well I moved houses a year ago so I'm going to a different surgery and to be quite honest, everybody from nurses to doctors seem not to care. I used to go to a really nice doctor before I've moved but I'm not sure if he'd see me since I don't live in he same area. sad

And I would like to know what sort of bacteria is it and how much of it it's inside my bladder. sad

• Posted

You are very welcome! I'd suggest you call your old surgery and find out if they'll see you--it couldn't hurt.  You might even tell them why you're wanting to come back to them. 

There are several strains of bacteria the overgrowth of which causes uti's.  These bacteria are already there, and the body relies on other colonies of bacteria to keep them in check.  It seems to me from posts on this site that docs in the UK like to prescribe Trimethoprim or Nitrofurantoin.  If those don't work, then they go for types of penicillin.

The trouble with antibiotics is that they generally upset the bacterial balance in the gut, urinary tract and vagina.  You could also take some probiotics for females, but make sure that what you get can withstand your stomach acid. xx  

• Posted

Lynda,

I might do since they cared for me there!

And yeah I've noticed they always prescribed the same antibiotics all the time, no wonder why my body is not responding to the treatment since it's probably used took it.

I'm gonna try D-mannose and see what happens! Fingers crossed xx

Monica

• Posted

Hi Monica, 

No problem..they might never tell you  what culture is growing , I tried and this was in a private hospital and I argued believe me and with my gp too, but he could only tell me what the hospitals told him where the cultures are done, and they always say mixed growth so don't get too caught up in that like i did or you'll go crackers..I'm almost positive it's in the 90% of E. coli ....you'd have to be very unlucky, for it not to be and there are other things you can try..I was afraid it would spread to my kidneys too but they were clear and fine , I even had a ct scan..if the last culture came back clear it means nothing grew in it over a 24 hour period which is really good..get the d mannose today if you can..your bladder is raw and sore from all of these antibiotics too, believe me I know cause they kill all the good bacteria too

plenty of yoghurt and a probiotic as well

let me know what happens later

lisa

• Posted

Lisa,

I ate a big yoghurt today so at least that's good and I also ordered D mannose to be delivered tomorrow in the morning so can't wait for it!

My back is killing at the moment so I'm just lying down waiting for it to stop. sad

I will keep you updated.

Thank you xx

Monica

• Posted

Hi Monica,  You've been given some good advice here so my contribution is just to say don't ever let them give you Ciprofloxacin or any other -floxacin (the fluoroquinolones) or you might end up with even worse problems.  Check out discussions on this thread if you want to find out more:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

• Posted

Hi Miriam,

Few days back I was actually reading about different antibiotics since the ones I had didn't help much and I've noticed the ciprofloxacin- I thought I'll finish the co-amoxiclav and try this one since I never had it before.

But now before reading all this I'm going to try D-mannose first and hopefully it will help cause otherwise I'm gonna go crazy especially because I'm about to start my new job soonish sad

Thank you for advice! Xx

• Posted

Hi Monica - I can sympathise with you as I am going through the same as you at the moment. I have suffered uti's for years. My consultant prescribed Trimethopriim small dose every night but it seems to have stopped working over the last few months. For my latest UTI I have had Trimethoprim then Nitrofurantoin over the last few weeks neither did any good. While waiting for results of my water test the doctor has prescribed Ciprofloxacin which I am reluctant to start taking until the results come back. I am sure taking so many antibiotics cannot  be good. I have been drinking Cranberry juice which helped at first but still in constant pain with the bladder. Really does make you feel miserable doesn't it? I am glad I read Lisa's recommendation for D-Mannose, willing to try anything that will help. I googled it and have ordered from Amazon which will come tomorrow. Strange that you can't buy it in shops. Hope you are feeling better soon, let us know how you get on with the D-Mannose. X

• Posted

Hi Joebel

It's really frustrating that doctors don't care and they give us antibiotics that just don't work anymore.

Like I asked for a stronger antibiotic and got co-amoxiclav, like really?! It's a joke.

And all the girls from here been really really helpful <3 100% than doctors and I'm so thankful for that!

• Posted

I ordered D-mannose yesterday and I'm waiting for it today since it should arrive shortly! Can't wait to take it! fingers crossed! I hope it will also work for you. Let me know how you feel after taking it. At the end we don't have anything to lose and we need to help each other if doctors can't.

Monica xx

• Posted

Hi Monica,

I'm sorry you're going through all this and I do hope that the D-Mannose will work for you.  It's claimed to be the best thing for getting rid of persistent e.coli bugs. 

Just be aware that the way Cipro and the other fluoroquinolones work is unique - they're not like any other antibiotics.  They work by destroying the DNA of the bacteria and human DNA is so different it used to be  thought thathuman cells weren't harmed.  BUT ( a big but!) then it was realised that each human cell contains tiny little organelles called mitochondria (they make our energy) which have their own simple DNA - just like bacterial DNA!  You guessed it - Cipro etc knock out these tiny guys which is why the side effects can be so serious to us. 

Many doctors don't read this far in how things work so they just think Cipro etc are just strong antibiotics.  They think the side effects are very rare so never believe anyone when they go back with side effects.  They never report side effects to the health authority  (FDA etc), so they keep telling all the med schools etc that side effects are rare.  It's a viscous circle!

Especially viscous because the side effects can be so damaging.  Please think very carefully before taking Cipro.  You may be fine after one or two courses - or maybe more - but, trust me, many people have been seriously damaged after just a few pills.  Go to floxie hope and read the stories there.  The address is in the link I gave you above.

Good luck with the D-mannose - and take care.

• Posted

Hi Joebel,

I just replied to Monica and want to say the exact same thing to you.  You are wise to be reluctant to take Ciprofloxacin - please see my reply to Monica.

Good luck with the D-Mannose, and check out the link I gave above.

• Posted

Hi Monica, how are you getting on with the D-Mannose? I started it after you and so far it seems to be working. It is expensive but worth it to be free of uti's. Hope you are feeling better x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.