3 days post op- any advice please

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am 3 days after THR on right hip. Still in hospital. This is my second one so i know whats ahead of me but have forgotten some of the hard bits.!

My leg is so swollen today but i've got ice on it to help-

Only problem i'm having is getting into bed. Because the leg is so swollen i cant lift it up. Any suggestions on how i can get into bed easier.

Mary

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Petra

Thanks for all the advice. Just having been through this all before i can offer you some advice!

Try to sleep on your new hip in periods of 2/3 mins and it will take you at least up to the 15 week period before you can sleep for any longer on your new hip.

As for sleep it will eventually come back. It took me a long time to get proper sleep but have to admit i remember going off all meds pretty early after op

What was the recommended time you took of work. I was told at least 12 weeks but i am on my feet all day. Just wondering how you cope with a crutch at work.

Hoping sleep gets better for you and do believe it will.

Mary

• Posted

Hi Mary,

thank you for your advise.

I will try to do that.

My doctor didn't tell me when I can go back to work, but I work in an office and I assume that is easier than being on your feet all day.

I have to say I am very glad its Friday as I am totally exhausted and my knees and hip hurt more. Don't think sitting down that much is that great for recovery. But I will make up for that this weekend.

Petra

• Posted

Theres a handy device I used just for that purpose in the early days. I bought it while in the hospital in a "hip kit". Works great til your muscles are strong enough to left on your own. Good luck!

Deborah

• Posted

Hi Stargate,

I also remember (2 THRs last one 13 weeks ago) how hard getting in bed was.

TRICK / TIP I used a gait belt (could also use an exercise band). The gait belt because it is thick and strong and 6 feet long did the trick. I would make a loop - think of a jump rope held in your hands by both ends (creates loop on the floor) - put foot of THR into the loop, hold on to the ends of rope, when you lay down the gravity of you laying back and holding (and guiding) the belt/rope up will pull your leg up straight and into bed.

I used this technique getting into and out of bed and onto couch and off. I controlled the swelling with bags of frozen corn (we were out of peas LOL) and elevating most of the day. I did tend to overdo it with the 2nd hip because I felt so good - out but the swelling made me come back down to a manageable level of daily exercise. Best to always listen to our bodies.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Mary,

As others have said the lifting strap they give you is a brilliant piece of equipment. I have to say one thing I found that made my life easier ( even though my hubby thought I was mad!), was getting into bed upside down, so that my operated leg could be lifted in last. This meant I didn't have to struggle getting my leg in first and towards the centre of the bed, and it was easier to get myself out in the middle of the night using the lifting strap to get the leg out. Obviously hubby had to sleep the same way or that would have been completely nuts! Gradually I became more mobile and switched back to being the right way round in the bed. If I have to have the other hip done in time it will be a bonus as it will be the 'outside' leg so won't have to try the upside down trick again! Wishing you good luck and a speedy recovery

• Posted

Hi all

Thanks for all the advice. Its getting easier now getting into bed. Putting my food under my sore leg works the best for me.

On other matters, actually ventured outside yesterday and went for small walk. Was so happy to get out. Still doing my exercises and managing a bit if housework too. (under my husbands supervision lol)

And finding sleeping on my back not too bad.

Think all the meds i am on is making me sleepy!

I think having already gone through this i know whats ahead so this makes the recovery easier. Still very swollen but hospital said it will eventually go down.

And i'm based in Ireland if this helps anyone.

Mary

• Posted

there are leg raising aides the hospital should have went over all the help aides with you before you were released. see hip aides , and the robe strap can help as mentioned. see youtube videos for instructions for various hip surgery aides . sending lots of healing angels to help you on your journey. or search thru the moderator help at top of page.

• Posted

The nurses should be helping to guide your leg. It took me at least a week to start doing it on my own.

Good luck.

Georgette

• Posted

I had to manage my own leg Georgette, even in hospital it was kind of get on with it. NHS in Britain does not supply nurses to help with everything especially climbing in and out of bed. 😂

• Posted

In all fairness the NHS did give me a long bit of knotted material to help me get my leg into bed. I must admit apart from my grabber it was the best gadget I had and it was free! I cannot see any of the nurses at my hospital helping though, we were surrounded by beeping machines and they did not even come and check what was wrong with those. I had a drip which then seized up half way through and my hand swelled up like a football, it took them ages to even sort that out.

• Posted

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who gave me advice. It's day 10 now and cant believe how quick time is going.

Best piece if advice i will give to any new hippies, is to listen to your body. I can now go for a fairly ok walk outside and this helps but yesterday when i went a bit longer than i should, i came back feeling shattered but took myself off to bed and had a nap.

Pain level seems to be improving and now taking less meds so this is good.

Hope everyone else is improving and sending well wishes to all

Mary

• Posted

Hi Mary,

Good to hear that everything is going ok for you. I am looking forward to being where you are soon. And will listen to my body once I have had my hip done.

Ann

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.