3 days post op Tkr

Posted , 23 users are following.

Well guys here i am and i did it,only home yesterday evening and thought i was doing ok but today,im so down and the tears justbflow...hate having to keep asking partner to do something for me ect,i am walking back and to the loo and walking as much as i can heel to toe and can get about 45 degree bend on a good hour....god i hate me....thanks for listining,its going to be a long road xxxxx

2 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

We have all been there and cried, cursed and had horrible thoughts...its just one of the things that come about to try us.  We can overcome and we do.. It all takes time.  A lot of patience, mind numbing exercises and icing and don't forget take all your meds and if you feel you need to see a doctor, then call one out....they understand and will alter meds if needed.   I am 18 weeks, just spent today mostly at the computer and my straight leg is killing me, sitting here at the chair I would never think I had had the op....dreading standing up but I need the bathroom and another drink.  

Just shout on here at any time and someone somewhere will reply and has done the same thing.  Take care of yourself.XX

• Posted

Hi Hazel, I'm 17 weeks in, and never even thought about calling my GP out to my home - it literally didn't occur to me that I could do it....I even struggled to the surgery 2 days after discharge cos I was panicking about a bad rash that had appeared. Trying to sit in the waiting room, crying with pain, feeling like a right idiot.....why didn't I just pick up the phone and get a home visit? What an idiot!!

Just goes to show, we're all still learning! Xx

• Posted

I had sellulitis quite bad after getting home from hospital, had two lots on antibiotics which left me 3 weeks not being able to move much or do exercises, only ice and cry!!!!! the doc actually past the house in his car going to someone on a home visit.....stopped and just called in to see how I was doing without my contacting him.  He is a really fantastic doctor( not my normal GP just part of the practise group) and has been wonderful all through. 

You never ever stop learning.....rolleyes

• Posted

Thanks Hazel,can i ask the first 2 weeks what didi you do i dont know if i should be doing exercises,resting,elavating dancing  what..lol i need help feel im just beating myself up constantly xxx

• Posted

Luo you have to do the exercises at least 3 times a day and constantly ice and elevate..whilst taking your meds at the correct time.   I couldn't do the exercises as my legs had to be kept elevated due to swelling, I could not even waggle my foot from side to side or foot up and down.

• Posted

yes im constantly icing and elevating hazel,as i said i have alot of swelling im moving my foot backwards and forwards up and down,wiggling toes walking to the the loo/kitchen/bedroom as im ground floor...hospital siad the main thing was to keep the leg iced and elevated the first 2 weeks ect....
  • Posted

Hi Lou. I'm 7 weeks now and just starting to feel like I might have done the right thing Afterall!  Boy, have I cried, sometimes not knowing why I was crying, but like everyone else has said, they've all done it too!

this forum will help you so much to feel like you're not alone - everyone is so kind and they will come up with the answers to your problems ..... and you'll find there are a few with wicked sense of humours in here too, but I think that helps to keep you sane!

Do as they say - rest, ice, elevation and meds (I thought I was ok and stopped taking them too early, keep taking them as you will need them).

ive also found that just do things at your own pace - don't worry what you should be able to do or if other people seem to be way in front of you.  You'll recover at your own pace.  It is hard work and there's only you who can do it, but do it slowly.

All the very best for a speedy recovery and hope to hear how you are doing soon.

x

• Posted

thanks susan,im doing all of those things you have said, and moving around too..i am doing good,just dont want to let myself down xx
  • Posted

Bless you, you're so early on in this epic journey! My TKR was March 6th, and I was in hospital for 5 days. My first few days at home are a bit of a blur....

Let yourself cry as often as you need, it helps. Be kind to yourself. I know it's hard, asking for help with virtually everything, but please do ask - people don't always think to offer help, but when they do, take them up on it! If you keep saying no, they'll stop asking!

Remember to keep your fluids up, even if you don't feel like eating much, you must have plenty to drink. And talking of food, don't worry if you suddenly have a fancy for something out of the ordinary - I craved Victoria sponge cake, wholemeal toast and honey, and ice cream, tiny little portions, and nothing else. None of which I usually touch! But don't worry, it will pass and you'll get your appetite back in a while.

Don't be afraid too ask questions on here, no matter how silly you might think it is. Trust me. We've ALL been there and whilst every knee journey is individual, we have shared a lot of similar experiences. Apart from me sleep-writing, that seems to be unique to me....but that's another story.....😊

Medicate by the clock. DONT wait for the pain to get really severe as when it gets its teeth in, it's hard to get it back under control. And please don't try and cut down on your pain meds too early, if you need it, you need it. Simple as that. We don't get medals for trying to be brave....

And lastly for now, exercise exercise exercise. But don't overdo it. Yes it will hurt, but it shouldn't be unbearable. If you do too much, you won't be able to do any the next day so you don't gain anything.

Take care of yourself Lou, pop on here as often as you like, there are people from all over the globe, so there's almost always someone from whatever time zone you happen to be in.xx

• Posted

Thanks terri,for all your good advice post 5 days now and dont know if im doing right from wrong,do i mainly go to the loo,ice and elavate the first 2 weeks or what,my knee is very swollen as you would expect,and the muscles are hurting also i am walking heel to toe on the new knee but the knee itself isnt bending much is that normaol..argggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so many stupid questions that you never think to ask in hospital xxx
    • Posted

Oh lou

You should not have to ask the hospital all these questions, they should tell you all these things about what to do before you ever leave the hospital, they certainly did with me.

I found it hard to get bend as well.

You must do bending exercises regularly or your knee will stiffen.

You cannot just ice and elevate.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I am only telling you the truth.

It does get better in time.

Sarah

• Posted

Oh you poor old chook!    Just regroup.  You need all the help you can get.  Don't fret about having to ask, you have a long hard road to travel and you certainly don't want to start beating yourself up so soon in your recovery program.   You have had major major major surgery. Lie back and rest as much as possible, ice regularly and take all the meds you are given.  Good luck. 
  • Posted

Oh god Lou1982, I do hear you! I sympathise and hate to say that I'm at 5 weeks post surgery and still tearing up at any opportunity. Yesterday was in particular, a bad day. All the encouragement I can give you is to hang in there, and from what I've been told, it will get easier. In fact you really are in such early days that it will be tough for a while, and the long road is indeed long. My walking is now much better, walking unaided but the tears still flow, and the bad days are still there, only not as bad as early on. Don't be hard on yourself, you will find it easier, week by week. Or so I'm told, haha.xxx

• Posted

Hi Lou

We have all felt like you when we have had knee surgery, and we all feel like we are putting on others to help us, but believe me when I say it will get better with time, patience, meds, icing, tlc,rest,elevate, exercises etc, etc.

This will put a smile on a face that is down, every Thursday my husband, his work mates and me ( I'm the only permanent wife here in Saudi with the husband) go out for a meal, anyway last week all the men got up and left me sitting there, they had forgot that I cannot walk as fast as them, luckily my husbands boss came back to see where I was and kindly offered his arm, hope that makes someone chuckle and have a laugh on me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.