3 days post rectocele repair. AGONY!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi All.

i had a rectocele repair on Wednesday discharged 24 hours later.

i have 2 issues. The first OMG the pain due to being so constipated. I was prescribed Lactulose and am drinking lots of water but nothing seems to help.

Im sorry for this next bit... But the more I need to go the more it's pushing on my stitches. It's agony!!! 

the second is the burning sensation is it wise to use an ice compress or leave it?

has anyone else had these problems? Any advice would be gratfuly received.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh nicky I remember this well. I find lactulose never helps so I would buy some Dulcolax or Senokot. What pain relief are you taking?
    • Posted

I'm taking co codamol. But to be honest it doesn't really work. :-( 
    • Posted

Co codamol is codeine and paracetamol. Codeine has a tendency to  make you constipated. If you can buy a stool softener such as Dulcoease that will help. 
  • Posted

'Matron' is brilliant Nicky.....she will give you lots of good advice.
    • Posted

Thank you, I do hope so. I'm laying on my bed in tears at this moment :-( 
    • Posted

Nicky I do feel for you. Try and get someone to go out and buy you something for your bowels
  • Posted

DO NOT get constipated!! It took me three days post op before I went. My recipe post surgery that is working for me, someone who has chronic constipation probs is this--2 stool softeners morning and night, 1 tablespoon milk of magnesia every nite before bed. I've been going ev other day and having a soft stool since doing this. Lactulose might work, I only took it once w no effect. The first stool post op was horrible. I finally had to use a suppository to get things going, plus all of the above. My surgery was almost 3 wks ago and it's getting a little better but it's a very slow healing process! Good luck to you!
  • Posted

Thank you for your replies. I've sent my partner to the pharmacy. Thankfully have a midnight one round the corner!!!

hoping that once things get moving I will feel some relief. X

• Posted

Firstly poor you and it does get better honest! I am six weeks post op now and have my bowels under control. Get Movicol sachets, take max of 4 a day to start with and it will all be ok. I am now on two a day. They are brilliant, taste ok and you go with no pain!! It will pass and you will be 'normal' again. Take care.
  • Posted

Post surgery I used Swiss Kriss natural laxative. Take 2-3 before bed and works in morning. First stool firm, but following stools soft. I also drink tomato juice before bed and it seems to help too. Taking probiotics on a regular basis helps to keep you regular also.

I use Tucks (they are flushable) to wipe with, very cooling and soothing. Now 6 weeks post-op for cystocele I use Cottonelle flushable wipes (located in the toilet paper aisle in the store. They sell them in small containers like baby wipes and they sell refills). 

After cystocele I was so miserable about 3 weeks post-op I was sitting on a bag of frozen fruit...it molded around me much better than the ice things I was trying to use. Made it feel much better.

Hope you're feeling batter soon!

Blessings!

Trish

• Posted

Oh poor you. I remember that pain so well but I was so lucky that I had a normal bowel movement on day 3 and have had no problems since, mind you I have Crohn's disease and am queen of poo ! I hope the advice everyone is giving you helps and you feel better very soon.
  • Posted

Hi Nicky - just got home from work and the memory of the pain all came back.  My surgery was 5 weeks and 1 day ago - hours really....The constipation was horrendous which caused the pain.  Movicol is not available in North America (US/Canada).  The closest to it is Senokot.  I took 2 Senokot plus 2 stool softerners (dulcosate sodium - sold under different names) 5 days post surgery.  The following morning, a normal bowel movement.  By lunch time I felt a little better; by supper the pain was gone.  I am sure it was the pressure of the constipation.  My doctor said depending on the severity of the surgery, the constipation can last up to 3 months and taking Senokot on a daily basis is quite safe.  I will see her at the six week mark this week and again at the 3 month mark.  She will let me know when I should start tapering off with the "help".  Some of us need it, others not so much.  We are all individuals and react differently.  I had a hysterectomy, a bladder and bowel resection and with the pressure relieved, went back to work at the four week mark - something I would have thought impossible after the first week and highly unlikely after two weeks.  Each day during week 3, things got better and by week 4, quite well.  My main problem now is obeying orders on what I can and can't do.  I will NOT do anything I am not supposed to.  I want this to heal properly and well.

I am also dealing with bladder  leakage which apparently will also lessen with time.  So I would check with my doctor before taking anything but even the pharmacist said it was unnecessary to check about the Senokot.  I did check anyhow and the answer was "go for it".  I did, and it worked.  Good luck to you.  Keep us posted.  I can remember well that Jools gave me the first glimmer of hope that it would get better - as did many others for which I still thank them.  God bless.  Keep us posted.

Nickie

• Posted

Wow back at work already! Brilliant. Don't overdo it though. When I had a total hysterectomy four years ago I returned to work early but then had to take more time off a few weeks later! But my job did involve a great deal of standing and walking. Glad all is going well, literally, on the bowel front!! I am still on two sachets a day and everything working perfectly. Will carry on taking them forever if needed - I am a firm believer in taking anything that improves quality of life. Would punch any Doctor who tried to take away my HRT - and they have tried over the years!! Look after yourself.
    • Posted

Hi Jools,

Going back to work was fine - it's sitting at a desk, doing computer work from a comfy chair,  talking to people or walking to people's rooms, sitting with them while I fix their TV, their ACs, their lamp bulbs; their popped breakers when they plug an iron in on the same plug as the AC.....or parking their cars.  Incidentally, mentioned standard car shift.  I did remember perfectly.  Only problem is garage door broke just as I was getting it into the garage!  Safety stopped the door about 1/2 inch from the hood(bonnet) of the car  - whew.  What a scare.  Had to back car out, get owner of car who agreed the door never touched the 21 year old car and then park it again in the garage.  I am jinxed with standard cars.  Have had all sorts of "adventures" when I am driving.  Nothing exciting with automatics.  And I love my job - helps my morale tremendously.  At 71, I am the "kid" at the desk.....Hope you are well Jools.

Nickie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.