3 days post rectocele repair. AGONY!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi All.

i had a rectocele repair on Wednesday discharged 24 hours later.

i have 2 issues. The first OMG the pain due to being so constipated. I was prescribed Lactulose and am drinking lots of water but nothing seems to help.

Im sorry for this next bit... But the more I need to go the more it's pushing on my stitches. It's agony!!! 

the second is the burning sensation is it wise to use an ice compress or leave it?

has anyone else had these problems? Any advice would be gratfuly received.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just an update. Feeling MUCH MUCH better today. The relief is unreal. :-)

currently laid in my garden soaking up the sun (whilst it's out) 

thank you all for your help xx

• Posted

I was exactly the same with you I couldn't go to the toilet i could only sit down on my side I even had to get my husband to rub the bottom of my back try and help me past my stoll but it didn't work so I know this is not what you want to hear but the only way so I could get the stool out because it was right there was to get a pair of rubber gloves an help it out it was all little balls but once I did that it ws so much better an not so uncomfortable. I know what you mean by not pushing because of stitches but they are so strong .
    • Posted

The stitches are strong but at this early stage the area around them isn't so straining can cause an awful lot I'd damage. You may not realise it at first but you'll know about it when you start to get more pain,blood loss and realise your prolapse has dropped again. I wouldn't advise removing the stool yourself by inserting your finger in the rectum. That could cause so much damage not only to your repair but also to the rectum itself. This procedure is no longer allowed in hospital anymore in the UK.
    • Posted

Hi Matron I wouldn't have even considered doing this put it was stuck it would go back or come out so I had to do something because I was in so much pain i didn't put finger right in it was just the opening I understand that the area around the stitches being very tender .I would not reconmend anyone to do this but I just wait any longer I would never strain even now 4 weeks post op im still very careful in what I eat an drink plenty of water which is helping loads . I know that with having bladder an bowel prolapse done I would not like to cause myself any damage . I very much appreciate all the advice that I have got from this site it has help me so much . Iv got to go to HR on Tuesday for a health review that's a joke (NHS) they now why I'm off iv had major surgery !! Anyway iv still got 2 weeks sick note left an been advised by my consultant that it can take upto 100 days before I go back to work because of being on my feet an lots of lifting an bending .☺
    • Posted

Julie you're right it is a joke expecting you to have a health review. Typical NHS! A friend of mine had back surgery and was told to lay flat for several weeks. She was told to go for a health review. She wasn't even supposed to sit up. No compassion. If your consultant has told you 100 days then that's what it is.
  • Posted

Hi Nicky,

The body and mind can be so tricky.  Knowing you are not alone with the pain and misery helped me tremendously - without my even doing anything!  So glad you are better today.  I am hoping this means that whatever your hubby got you worked and you were able to go.

I started out here in a forum called HELP! Severe constipation 4 days post anterior/posterior prolapse repair and TVT...You might want to read the posts.  For those of us on this slow mend journey, re-reading some of the entries is good for the soul.  Warning - all the posts were from people like us who were bowel movement obsessed!

But there were some good hints which are on my question list for the surgeon whom I will see on Thursday.  I do know that some were doing something called pelvic exercises and my surgeon's assistant doctor virtually yelled down the phone - you had different surgeries.  DO NOT EVEN TRY TO DO THIS UNTIL WE TELL YOU TO.  Wow - I got the message.  Don't try anything without checking with your surgeon's office.

I am just back from our annual Swim meet in our small rural community.  The weather is beautiful today sunny and warm, not hot.  The contests started at 9:30 a.m. EST and the Barbecue ended at 2:30.  First visit to the beach this year.  Word of caution to all - even if you are feeling well.  Walking in sand is not recommended - got some of those shooting pains which I had not had in the last 3 weeks.  Stayed on the grassy, shady, even edges of the beach after that!  Since it is 78 in the shade and at least 85 in the sun, I was happy for the excuse of not being closer to the water.  My 8 year old grandson won a first, second and third place.  First in 6-8 year old swim; 2nd in 9-12 year old swim and 3rd in sand castle building...

I never nap - but am having one today.

God bless and it will get even better nicky.

Nickie. 

• Posted

Hi, Doctors differ, patients die! I was handed a sheet of pelvic floor exercises to start immediately after posterior and anterior operation.......doing any sort of exercise was the last thing on my mind post op!! 9 weeeks post op and if I spend the day visiting or indeed if my very young Grandchildren come for a day, I end up feeling so ill from tiredness I need to spend the next day in bed sleeping! I am 62. I though I would be much stronger by now!
  • Posted

Apricots and prunes/juice. The stool softener just keeps it soft but you need something to trigger the bowel to work; and it'll be pretty lazy post surgery. Keep drinking and try not to strain, I know it's hideous.
  • Posted

Nickybtn,

Sorry for this delay - some may have already responded similarly.

I had the same problems! I couldn't use suppositories, drank lots of lactulose, but it didn't help.  I finally tried Miralax -  it took me about 5 days to go - and it was excruciating - so I understand completely.  I didn't use the prescribed pain meds b/c I heard they can be constipating.

I also used cold packs constnatly- even external, some of the cold will go inside enough to help a little.

Sure hope you've had some relief since you posted your problem!

• Posted

Hi Raesue,  Feels like we all have had problems with this.  I used Senokot - doctor approved it - and had relief the next morning.  Been taking one table for the last two weeks and am to keep using it until things are healed more.  I am 5 1/2 weeks post surgery so see surgeon on Thursday.  If you are in North America, Senokot is similar to Movital in Europe and I think Australia.  Good luck.  Nickie
  • Posted

Hi, eat natural licorice, it really helps. if you live in UK Holland and Barrett sell it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.