3 month check up

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

Hope things are going well?

I have my 3 month post op check up with the osteo surgeon soon. I would like to know what questions others have asked (or wish they had afterwards!). I feel I am recovering quite well, no pain, just twinges and prickly sensation. I have not had the tight feeling around the leg above my knee for a while (the other leg does have it so it made me realize). I don't need a stick and no longer walk with a limp - hooray! I still haven't driven, mainly because I am so tired all the time (brain fog). I also haven't tried kneeling as I'm not sure when it will be OK; so I will ask. I will also be asking if he can check my other knee or if I have to be referred again as it's not bad enough yet. However, I do feel it is hampering my recovery. GG

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

HI GG, the only advice I would give is to hold off a bit deciding to do the other knee, wait a bit because the pain in my other knee subsided after my limp went away. I am seven mo out and asked the dr about kneeling, most people do not like the sensation but will not hurt the actual knee, is what I was told. Sounds like your doing great!!

• Posted

This might explain your other pain...

Other Pain

You need to start this next program to rebuild all your muscle strength. It will take the pressure off your knee and put it back on the supporting muscles where it belongs, help you walk correctly, regain your balance and enable you to do stairs like a normal person again. The rest of your first year will be focused on this...

Muscle Rebuild

Keeling will almost certainly be problematic...probably forever. But it's not the knee...it's the nerves. The knee is metal; you can't damage it by kneeling on it. The weird pain you feel is nerve pain. Easy fix. Kneeling inside...use a 4" piece of foam; outside...use a padded set of tactical knee pads. Done. You cannot kneel directly on very hard surfaces (tile, concrete, wood floors, etc.). Long-term TKR patients still report the nerve feeling. It may lessen over the years or not...go away completely or not. We all have to just accept it.

• Posted

I had check up at 6 weeks and then not until a year , but I had no problems but if I had I could have seen surgeon anytime . Really once pain subsided all went okay . Dont like the sensation of kneeling so avoid it but probably wouldnt hurt knee. You sound like you ate going fine

• Posted

my other knee seemed worse initially, say for around the first year but now seems much improved...I think maybe because I am far more active and my muscles are so much stronger ...so I wouldnt rush into the next one unless your surgeon recommends you do... well done on your recovery. it continues to improve for ages!

• Posted

Hi All,

Thank you for your replies. I have seen the ortho (not osteo!!) surgeon. He is very pleased with my ability to bend beyond how far most knee replacements will go and overall recovery - twinges to be expected at only 3 months. X-ray shows a beautifully straight knee with the required gap on the outside of the joint (I had a PKR to the inside). I asked about kneeling - he said if I can, fine but to only kneel at 90% as it could cause something (can't remember what he said) to pop out - don't know if this is for ever or just for now. He advised massaging to alleviate the numbness. Also mentioned my other knee but, as it hasn't been x-rayed, I have to get my GP to do the 'work up' first but as I am in the system I will get seen more quickly. Didn't tell him about being tired I think that's a conversation to be had with my GP. Next check up is at 1 year post surgery (Nov). I hope you are right about my other knee getting better Jenny! It's frustrating!

GG

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.