3 month flare up?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been posting about my stomach problems in this thread https://patient.info/forums/discuss/not-just-ibs-pain--478302?page=0&order=Oldest but a question maybe one of you can answer.

I've been consistently ill for 3 months with abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhoea and nausea. I haven't had any 'good' days, though I've had particularly 'bad' days. 

I'm barely eating aInd have lost weight - I'm now just under 6.5 stone. Somedays, I can manage maybe one meal a day. The pain is there even when I don't eat.

What I'm wondering is if anyone else has suffered a flare up that's lasted as long as 3 months? Is this normal? When I was diagnosed with IBS, I was ill for a month. 

I'm going to Canada at the end of November, to represent Diabetes UK, but there are days at the moment where I feel that if I'm as ill as I am now, I won't be able to go. THIS IS NOT AN OPTION FOR ME!

I've tried peppermint tea, capsules, prescribed medicines, and more recently, probiotics. Nothing helps. 

Any input you have is much appreciated. 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Yes I have heard people having flare ups that long and you have to keep fit trying to figure out what is causing it what foods are you eating that you should not be or have you not cut everything out yet and I would go to Canada go in there to one of their hospitals and see if they can help you while you're there act as if it's new
    • Posted

The thing is though, I haven't eaten for 3 days at a time fore, and the pain hasn't got any better, so it's like it's not the food causing the pain. 
  • Posted

Hi, im supposing that its type1 that you have. My friend has had it long term and is/has suffered stomach problems for quite some time similar to what you describe, his consultant says its all diabetes related so maybe you should try to get an appt before you go away.
    • Posted

There is a link between diabetes and coeliac, and so I've cut out nearly all gluten. Diabetes seems to link back to a lot of things - I'm also anaemic and my doctor says that that's because of my diabetes *sigh*
  • Posted

You may not have ibs my cousin had the same thing she was finally diagnosed her with gastroparesis. The stomach doesn't empty properly and so it causes pain inflammation, nausea, vomiting. So you might need some tests to rule that out. She wasn't big a a teenager now she's even thinner, can't eat doesn't sleep. 
    • Posted

Sorry to hear about your cousin, my dearest friend has this, its not nice! At times he has been very ill.
    • Posted

I know of a couple of people who have this. Do you know what the test for it is?  From what I've read, this is largely to do with difficult to control sugar levels, but my diabetes is generally under control (or was before I gave up on it since being ill)
    • Posted

I can ask my cousin there are several and I know she is on disability through her work. She told me this summer she could eat rice and potato's. It is like your stomach is paralyzed it doesn't empty out because your stomach doesn't work properly. I will ask my cousin and get back with you on what tests they've done. 
    • Posted

She said it's called a gastric emptying study which gives you a true diagnoses. She also said diabetics can also play a part she was just 4 weeks ago diagnosed with ms also something that goes with gastroparesis  she did multiple tests before they did the study once that was done they had the diagnoses. Gastroparesis is the stomachs inability to fully empty out the food you've eaten. Causes inflammation, and pain. My diabetes is under control I had ibs-d for years before I developed diabetes. But each disease has basic symptoms but each person can have more or less symptoms. You have to know your boys and what you can can't eat, or can't eat but once in a blue moon. Don't tell your doctor but read about it then ask your doctor if it's possible with your diabetes that you could have this and if it's possible to see a gastro. A gastro is who you need to see and ask them, ibs is like fibromalga sometimes when most of the symptoms fit that's what they say it is. I asked one doctor what caused ibs they said sometimes it's imbalance in the gut, or if they've done surgery and had to handle the guts, they're just not sure. But as it's your body and you have the right to ask the doctor about your symptoms and tests to rule it out. You have to be your own best helper. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Just phoned my friend he says theres no test, think they just go by symptoms. It was someone at his works who found the symptoms of gastroparesis which he took to gp and went from there. Seems like the final decider was did he get really hot when he was sick, yes.

the condition is due to slow food transit, where the food goes down, the door is shut behind after entry, but the exit door doesnt open to let it out at the other end again. He doesnt seem to get pain though, just all the other problems! Lol

was tested for coeliac etc had loads of tests for other things before they came to this conclusion.

• Posted

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it. It looks like I have most of the symptoms for gastroparesis, looking on the NHS website but I don't like going to the doctor to say 'i think i've got this'. 

Looking at the NHS tests, it says endoscopy would show it up, but mine was all clear - had gastroscopy and colonoscopy

Really useful what you've told me though, thank you.

• Posted

Not very nice i must admit but you can hopefully get tablets which should alleviate least some of it, dont know what he was prescribed(can ask)but it wont go away unfortunately, if it is indeed what you have. 

As a side, i dont think he has had an endoscopy yet, he was due to go next week to kings, london but he has gone into hospital nearer home as an emergency due to severe dehydration. He hasnt had colon or gastroscopy either as far as i can remember, only a nose to throat.

in the past i have always said on forums when dealing with gps take a written list of all symptoms, how frequent and how bad on a 1-10 scale, that way you dont forget something and gp hopefully wont ignore what is in front of him. I sometimes think that when you talk to them its either too much info to take in all at once, or it goes over their head and they miss something vital that you have put into the conversation.

• Posted

I believe the test for this is that small camera that you swallow in it tracks and record the motility of your digestion
  • Posted

I had non stop diarohea for over 12 weeks constantly I had to take imodium every other day to try and control it, lost weight and was run down i was booked in for a colonscopy but the hospital has cancelled the appointment 3 times, 6 months later still waiting NHS for you .......
    • Posted

Get to the bottom of why they are cancelling and see if you can prove discrimination of some kind.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.