3 week update following scarf osteotomy 2&3 weils osteotomy fusion + tendon release of 2 3 & 5 toe .

Posted , 5 users are following.

Thgt I'd show some pics if how I've got on. Foot still swells but I am walking around in surgical shoe indoors managing stairs ok and using crutches outside. Still getting very occasional shocks in tip if big toe, no pain but a but achy when i do too much. L foot was done 20 yrs ago , i was very happy with result.this r foot was very bad and I had alot of ball of foot pain big toe almost crossed 2nd toe and elevated it. As you can see 4th toe taking alot of swelling and a bit elevated ut goes into position when I walk so hopefully will settle down as swelling improves. My feet are very dry. I had steristrips as wound was a bit dehisced has healed beautifully. Have wire in 2nd toe coming out on 28th (a bit scared). All in all I am very happy with progress. I have posted a link for newbies with really good information on another thread will repeat in my next post. I may have to post piccies separately not sure if I can do it on my mobile.

Hope this helps anyone curious about what us involved. I am 61 and very active.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

l foot done 20 yrs ago

other pics at two weeks - sorry posting pics is a bit slow

• Posted

feet today a bit swollen as i have been active today.  my op was on 9th october and considering the extensive surgery i think i am doing well.

• Posted

this is th bunion brace i have been told to wear to keep my toe in alignemnt while i reccover. i have just re applied dry dressings to protect the surgical sites and avoid rubbing.

• Posted

Hi Sheila, your feet look great! I too have a pin in my 2nd toe which will come out in 3 days. Doc says it won't be as bad as getting stitches out. We shall see.... my foot looks much worse than yours. Mine is black and blue and I had stitches from bunion and hammertoe. My foot is very swollen and I am still using crutches in 6th week of recovery. You sound very upbeat. I liked seeing the photos.

• Posted

Thx Lauren, I am very happy with them. Still some bumpy toes but once healed I can start oiling my feet and paint my toes. The scabs and dry skin will improve over next few weeks. I guess having been in such pain with my feet and also having had two knee ops my pain tolerance is high. I do try to be positive and I hate sitting around so there is my motivation. I have had some bad days with low mood but that is normal post op anyway. Dont worry abt yr bruising we all heal at different rates depending in the surgery our general health etc. Good luck with yr next appt. Keep me posted

My mantra is rest and elevation for first two weeks it really pays dividends in recovery.

• Posted

Hi Sheila Gosh you have a lot done.  I only had the 2nd toe done about 6 weeks ago. I had the pin out after 4 weeks, it was not too bad, she tried to screw it out but then had to pull this bit which was the worse bit.  It was the pressing on the toe to do it that hurt most.  I am using Bio Oil on my scar now and it looks ok and like you when I stand the toe begins to look normal, but when I am sitting etc it still is slightly elevated. When I can I will take some pics.  Is it your foot that aches or your whole body when you do too much?  I thought I was fit before the op and in good health but I have found it exhausting getting back to normal because I have not done my usual things.  A friend of mine who was an O/T said that I had. To got to underestimate what I had had done a.though I just keep thinking of it as ONLY a toe!!!  Take Care
  • Posted

Sorry about th typos
    • Posted

Hi carol

You physio is right this surgery does take a lot out of you and the inactivity means you lose muscle strength initially . Plus our feet work hard for us. The good thing is our muscle memory helps us to recover once we start getting active again. The same occurs for our feet and toes so I hope and believe there will be more aesthetic recovery of my toes as the tissues and nerves heal and swelling goes down. Can take a full year to feel completely normal but most recovery in 6-12 weeks..

I suffered really bad lower back pain 2nd week due to the inactivity and awkward position I was sitting in to keep swelling down. That has improved with stretching so yes whole body affected by this. Apparently my toes were long and I have read that the ligament I have had done should help with ball of foot pain I had. I will be happy tho to get Into normal footwear as i struggled with this and lived in fitflops. Problem being smart and cimfirtabke in work

• Posted

Yes I was told my 2nd toe was long and that was causing the problem.  That you put too much pressure on it when it should have been the big toe.  We cannot help the way we are made can we Ha Ha  I also got back ache and groin ache when I was heel walking, what a performance anyway hopefully by Christmas we should be walking better.  X
    • Posted

So very true😲 yes looking forward to feeling better at Xmas staying with my family 👪. They have been very supportive and my grandchildren have been a joy taking my mind off this. My 3 yr old granddaughters little face crumpled when she saw me on crutches 💖. My 9 yr old grandson played on my crutches lol, and lots of hugs from the babygirl and 5 yr old granddaughter. Wish i was nearer . Get well soon carol. this forum has been a great way of getting through the process and being able to find answers to the niggly little problems. So I thank everyone that has contributed.
    • Posted

Still very scared to get pin out my stitches are devolving but I'm a very nervous person 
    • Posted

Really it will be ok.  I was asked to lie back because some people do not like it but it was not as bad as I expected.  Just the nurse holding my foot whilst she did it was the worst bit for me.  You will be fine.😊
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth

I too have to have my pin out next Friday

. First time and I was given local anesthetic for removal of pins so like you am nervous. Thank you carol for yr supportive reply. I've seen it done on a video on YouTube and it looked straightforward keeping my fingers crossed.

• Posted

Hi Sheila. I've only just spotted this discussion thread and found it really helpful. I love the photos - looking good but just a little bit scarey around the second toe 😮. I have the same on left foot and didn't manage to take any photos when stitches were taken out to frighten people with! I've been told that pin removal isn't painful and hope that's the case for you. Can't wait to have mine out on 25th Nov. It's not exactly painful but isn't it a weird feeling when the toe swells from time to time and you can really feel that metalwork? Best to try not to think about it.

It's reassuring to know that there are naturally bad days but these do pass. Had a pretty low couple of days last week, mostly because of other stuff going on at the same time, but this week is tons better. An outing or two, going out for coffee (escape from the house!) Is great for lifting the spirits.

Best wishes to fellow Bunionettes.

• Posted

Yes I will show you the results now.  I am 7 weeks now the scar gets a bit sore so I cover it with a small tuber grip to stop socks etc rubbing.  It really did not hurt that much so please do not worry.  But we are all different with pain of any sort x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.