3 weeks down, 10mg Citalopram. My experience.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi to those of you on this journey with me, just thought I'd start a little thread and update you all over the next few weeks on how I am finding the first few weeks of my second citalopram journey.

Ok so, first day as expected within a hour or so I had almost instant diahoreah and my stomach felt a bit iffy. This continued for the next week and a half, very mild nausea and diahoreah but my mood and anxiety had improved as did my sleep and my appetite.

After 12 days I started to experience heightened anxiety, insomnia (not being able to go to sleep and waking up sweating) morning anxiety, extreme tiredness and nausea, continued diahoreah, headaches on and off, feelings of uneasiness and general low mood. (naturally) this lasted for 7 days. Then yesterday I woke up and the tiredness and nausea seem to have lifted somewhat, although still not back to my full energetic self just yet. Still no appetite but able to eat without feeling sick now.

Sleep still very hit and miss, lats night woke alot with sweaty palms, nausea and anxiety, but again don't feel as exhausted.

Every morning, is a challenge to get out of bed, I think the feeling of dread on how the day will pan out is ultimately the hardest. This is also due to the current situation we are in though, that feeling of groundhog day. Not working, kids home and not alot of distraction.

Heading into week 4 today and will keep you all updated. I do feel like my overall experience on citalopram the second time around has been a bit more challenging due to the side effects being much more prominent, but, its always important to remember even on those days that we feel like we're never going to feel normal again, feeling hopeless and exhausted that it will eventually improve and we will be fighting fit again. Physically and mentally.

2 likes, 81 replies

81 Replies

Next
  • Posted

thank you for this thread..i will be following your journey..il 2nd time on as well, on week 8, sleep is still hit or miss although i have been getting more good days recently.

good to hear others going through the same

• Posted

Went for a long walk along the coast yesterday. It was refreshing. Still get the occasional bouts of anxiety but its not as severe. U slept 10 hours last night. Definitely needed. Think I only woke once.

Motivation is low today, but I think most people are finding that they feel this was atm with this whole lockdown. I've kinda stopped worrying so much about the risk now, I am still following guidelines but before I was pretty scared and frightened. Waiting to hear if I need to go back to work, I think getting back to work will be really great, however, it's likely I won't be needed and therefore won't return until September (work in education) so must get used to this way of life now. Will keep on touch with any other symptoms I may or may not get. Fingers crossed I'm over the worst. I think the first time around I felt better around the 9 week mark.

• Posted

*I slept 10 hours

• Edited

how are you today?

i am now week 6, but only 2nd week of dose increase and feeling extremely anxious today with obsessive worrying.

• Posted

Hey, I am feeling pretty good overall now. I'm 3 and half weeks in. Last week was hard with the side effects but they have lifted now. Still not 100% but getting there. I am only on 10mg and no increases needed yet. I was on the same before and it was enough back then so hoping its enough this time around. Keep positive, you will feel better, my second and 3rd week was the worst, give it a little more time as you've increased your dose.

• Edited

glad to hear youre feeling better.

i was on 40mg last time. i remember 30 made a good difference last time though and thats what ive just gone up to so hopefully things improve soon.

• Posted

How you doing? I've had a tiny dip the last few days. Been waking again in the night with feelings of anxiety, but am still managing to sleep ok. Probably does help that I'm actually not working atm as I have no alarm in the morning. Other than my children. Lol.

I can always tell when I am a little more anxious than usual as I tend to have increased bowel movements. I do have IBS too so this is the area that tends to get affected the first.

I plan to re start my personal training this weekend with social distancing guidelines in place, then I'm gonna create a meal plan to get my diet back on track. All these things will help eventually, also gives me a distraction.

I've been listening to podcasts about how to retrain my mind to worry less and plan to practice meditation more over the coming weeks. I really wanna feel the benefit from it. I've tended to only use mindfulness when I've been experiencing high amounts of panic and anxiety and although it helps to regulate my breathing it doesn't do much else. Because my mind is so wobbly and detached from reality during this time.

Do you do anything that helps you with your anxiety?

• Posted

thats great that you are getting back to doing those things. hopefully things are on the up for you now.

im feeling completely overwhelmed by my anxiety today, feels like those early days again...although it technically is early days as im on day 11 of my increase from 20-30.

trying to be rational about the dread and worry im feeling but its so hard. have been tearful this afternoon...i want to go to bed but scared tomorrow will be another day like today.

• Edited

I've been there and I'll be there again. It's totally OK to feel like this. Unpleasant I know, frustrating. But try and tell yourself that tomorrow will be better, even if your head keeps reminding you of your fear. Try to rationalise it. This will 100% pass I promise you.

I always say to myself when a negative thought comes into my head about the future "I will handle it" I keep saying it to myself over and over again and remind myself that I've done this before and I overcome it then, I will do this time. Also, try and do something to distract yourself. Listen to some music and do some colouring in. Get a early night and don't worry if you can't sleep straight away. Your body will sleep and tomorrow will be better.

• Posted

i have started practising meditation too. apparrntly it takes a while to get used to it but i use mindfullness meditation on you tube. can i ask what podcasts you listen to?

i have been on 5mg cit for years but due to a lot of stress have increased to 10mg a day and at 8 weeks - 1st 2 weeks i felt lifted but i'm very up and down and all over the spot lately. i've been here before but still haven't fully learnt to accept it.

• Posted

I've been listening to Brene Brown and Christine Hassler podcasts.. Having a rough day today it seems. Just absolutely wiped out. Achey and tired and a bit wobbly. I've done some PT this morning and that has pretty much done me for the day. 😵🤦‍♀️

It's a very up and down ride this journey, I have to just except it. Some days are good, some days are hard. But the great days will come.

• Posted

Also Happy Place podcast by Fearne Cotton are good.

• Posted

thank you - i like the way you accept it and ride with it. something we very much need to do in this crazy cycle - by accepting it, you're lessening the awful anxiety and probably healing better. i don't work at the moment as I couldn't cope with it - not sure how anyone copes with it when in the midst of this.

• Posted

The first time I ever experienced this which was around 3 years ago it was much worse. Because I never knew what it was, I went from being super laid back and healthy to experiencing my first panic attack and that led to debilitating anxiety which caused so many physical symptoms. I was so afraid, don't get me wrong this is still unpleasant and can be scary, but now I know what it is I can kinda bring myself back down to earth a little. Or just except that I am nit feeling well and it won't last forever. Today is hard, its never easy, I get frustrated and annoyed that I feel like this after starting to feel better, but its part of the process. The first time I was on citalopram it took around 3 months to feel better again.

I am also not working due to covid19. Its unlikely I will return until September. But I love working and keeping busy, it gives me a purpose and a distraction, nit working can make this process harder some days because I have to much time to think about how I'm feeling. But yeah, before when I worked it was a struggle, but luckily I had very understanding colleagues all of which had struggled before themselves so understood. Seems like my new manager also has some understanding. She told me she's on 40mg of citalopram herself and has been for a long time.

• Posted

yeah i was like that, too. 1st time was awful and no one i knew had experienced it. the thing that I find hard is the ups and downs.....one day feeling better and the next, not so. at 8 weeks of an increase I've felt pretty rough for a few days and the panic sets in. this is where you need to learn to accept and go with things. i exercise daily and try and eat healthily, you sound pretty active, too? you also sound fairly positive in a very negative experience. i also agree with too much time to ruminate when you're not at work. i need to trach myself to watch films and try and switch off.just struggling with feeling so down at the moment and hope it passes.

• Posted

I struggle to sit and relax and watch films when I'm having bad days as I feel worse for it I think. Although I still do make myself. Like I've started re watching GOT and have been just chilling on the sofa since lunch. But I get bored and feel rotten, I also feel jittery, I can't explain it. Such a bizzare feeling. I. Mean this Morning I did lots of upper body lifting and excersize so now my. Shoulders and back and arms are sore. So. I've basically added to my list if aches and pains. Have a full head headache too, plus feel a bit sick. But need to just let it be. It is what it is... Try to catch yourself when in negative thought and challenge it. Or go do something like make a cuppa, do some housework or call a friend/family member. It helps take your mind away for a little bit. Sometimes it can actually re set you. Feel. Free to message me whenever. Always here to chat.

• Posted

i am absolutely the same - if i sat in watching films i'd feel worse than i do but this is mentally draining so i wish i could try it at least. i've currently developed a groin pain which isn't helping my anxiety - as if we haven't enough to deal with. hope your headache has eased - it's a very common side effect of these drugs. thanks for your advice....i do go out in the garden when feeling bad and try and busy myself but i tend to avoid friends a bit - never a good idea but socially, anxiety makes me avoid things....something i need to work on.

it must make a huge difference having understanding colleagues as it's not often you're that lucky in the workplace. happy to chat xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.