3 weeks down, 10mg Citalopram. My experience.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi to those of you on this journey with me, just thought I'd start a little thread and update you all over the next few weeks on how I am finding the first few weeks of my second citalopram journey.

Ok so, first day as expected within a hour or so I had almost instant diahoreah and my stomach felt a bit iffy. This continued for the next week and a half, very mild nausea and diahoreah but my mood and anxiety had improved as did my sleep and my appetite.

After 12 days I started to experience heightened anxiety, insomnia (not being able to go to sleep and waking up sweating) morning anxiety, extreme tiredness and nausea, continued diahoreah, headaches on and off, feelings of uneasiness and general low mood. (naturally) this lasted for 7 days. Then yesterday I woke up and the tiredness and nausea seem to have lifted somewhat, although still not back to my full energetic self just yet. Still no appetite but able to eat without feeling sick now.

Sleep still very hit and miss, lats night woke alot with sweaty palms, nausea and anxiety, but again don't feel as exhausted.

Every morning, is a challenge to get out of bed, I think the feeling of dread on how the day will pan out is ultimately the hardest. This is also due to the current situation we are in though, that feeling of groundhog day. Not working, kids home and not alot of distraction.

Heading into week 4 today and will keep you all updated. I do feel like my overall experience on citalopram the second time around has been a bit more challenging due to the side effects being much more prominent, but, its always important to remember even on those days that we feel like we're never going to feel normal again, feeling hopeless and exhausted that it will eventually improve and we will be fighting fit again. Physically and mentally.

2 likes, 81 replies

81 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Heading into week 5 tomorrow. Still having the odd days of extreme tiredness and the headache and nausea are still very much prominent. Some days are hard to get through and others not so bad. Sleep has been up and down, but not matter how much I have I am pretty much always tired. Its hard going. I hope this next week I see even more improvements. My anxiety has reduced massively, I have moments if it now, it's mostly the fatigue, nausea and aches and pains I am struggling with now... Will keep on going...

• Posted

this gives me hope. going into week 3 and it has been a roller coaster, feel like im improving, then feel anxious. side effects seem to be worse in the evenings. im also on 10mg (for panic and anxiety) was on 20mg for about 2 years around 10 years ago for more severe anxiety and depression and don't remember side effects, just remember how much they helped. trying to hang in there.

• Posted

Just going into week 6 and feeling so much better. Having more better days then bad now. I guess my acceptance of this illness this time around has helped me to recover much quicker than before, the days I go backwards I just always tell myself it's OK and it won't last. Knowing that is so important to recovery. Week 2-3 was my worst weeks. So once you're past these it'll start getting easier gradually. Keep going, 10mg is more than enough for me and I'm being treated for anxiety and panic too.

• Posted

thanks for replying, that's really encouraging. i'm glad to hear you're feeling better. take care

• Posted

On day 23 today, anxiety feeling a little more under control (have been having therapy too) but have had the worst 2 nights of insomnia in a row...can't wait to just feel like myself again....going to give it 6 weeks though to see how I'm doing. I hope everyone else on this thread is doing okay.

• Posted

Yes definitely give it at least 6 weeks before considering a increase. I think that it's important to be aware that any increase will also bring back the side effects again. The sleep issue will start to improve now, give it time. It's absolutely the worst isn't it. I really suffer when sleep deprived, I am a single mum too so it's so so hard. But I'm sleeping so much better now. Getting 8-9 hours most nights. And able to go back to sleep if I wake early. The sleep panic has almost gone.

• Posted

thank you, I really don't want to increase for that reason! so hoping I start to level out. i applaud you going through this with kids!! hard enough without.

• Edited

Hi Larry, I am. Going into week 8 on Tuesday and generally feeling sooooo much better. Haven't had a bad day in over a week. Not one that I would constitute as a bad day anyway. I still get a little wobbly sometimes and feel a bit tight chested, but I can distract myself better now. I still don't think I am fully better yet, because I still don't feel completely normal yet. Like morning anxiety still occasionally gets me, but I have to say, that this time around I have recovered much quicker I feel. Maybe it's because I know what's up with me now and have accepted that this was caused by the whole lockdown which is now being lifted somewhat. That's helped me massively to. How are you?

• Posted

Pretty bad, feel empty, hopeless, guilty, scared and pessimistic, 9th day today and not of them has felt decent, losing the will i think

• Edited

These first few weeks are relentless and I felt exactly the same. Its so hard pushing through days when they are so completely exhausting. It's gonna be a bumpy ride for a few days, so just prepare for it, yours may ease quicker than mine did. But just keep going, try and distract yourself when you can, rest when you can, eat little and often and drink plenty of water. Look after your body whilst your meds start working and you will start to feel the benefits before you no it.

• Edited

Did you feel suicidal? Not necessarily wanting to die, but thoughts of it

• Edited

No I have never felt like that. I mean I've felt hopeless and frustrated, frightened and sad. But never suicidal.

• Posted

Hi Larry, I'm on 10mg and going into week 5. don't think it's fully kicked in yet but my god feeling a lot more positive and relaxed...I couldn't get out of bed a few weeks ago. hang in there. solidarity.

• Edited

I've also been in therapy which helps, if you can set something up for yourself? or just check in with someone if you need to, even if it's us here!

i've found it helpful having a list of things to do/watch/read/listen to that are comforting and reassuring, that i can reach for when im feeling anxious/low. good luck.

• Posted

SSRI's gave me OCD which did make me feel like that at times when I had real meltdown days, as you say have sometimes felt I didn't want to go on. Have had to come off them because of the side effects and no improvement, hope they work better for you anyway .

• Posted

Hi Hope...That's good to know it takes a time to kick in...On 10mg nausea headache gone but hasn't done its job so far...Will hang in there...Kind regards Geoffro.

• Posted

oh...Been taking Citalopram for 27 days 10mg Hope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.