3 weeks post op following partial knee replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi Guys it'll be 3 weeks tomor that I've had my op and still get better days than others! Scar is healing well but a bit lumpy in places but I'm concerned about the pain behind my knee and occasionally when I walk unaided if I straighten my leg it starts to give way? I live out in the sticks and not yet started any physio because I have to arrange not only appt but how I'm going to get there? I am continuing with my exercises given in hospital!

im also suffering awful mood swings one minute I'm fine the next snapping at everyone because,of all the silly things, trying to do everything with one hand? I'm not sure even what sort of housework I should be avoiding or attempting at this stage?

any feedback will be gratefully received

thanks x

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I should forget the ironing for a while too . . . it seems to put quite a strain on the knee . .
    • Posted

I gate ironing hut it's starting to pile up!! That's the only job no one wants to do!!!
    • Posted

Yes . . I've just washed and ironed all my embroidered tablecloths. . never use them, as they are too much hassle, but can't throw them away . . . !
    • Posted

I sit down to iron with knee bent then straighten every few minuutes...I HATE IRONING!
    • Posted

I've really got to do something the pile is getting out of control! I did wonder whether I could sit and do some?
  • Posted

When I had TKR 3 years ago all these little thigns were put in place before operation.

I borrowed equipment from OT Department, had someone to come and do the hoovering and things I could not do, started having Wiltshire Farm Foods so I did not have to cook. Red Cross did shopping for me for 6 weeks. Ambulance came and took me to physio etc etc.

I am not usually a very organised person but all this had to be done.

Not sure exactly where you live but maybe all this help is available where you are? It would certainly be worth checkiing this out

Sarah xx

• Posted

I had a very different experience, but I suppose it was ebcause I had it done privately . . no information before the operation,  no equipment unless you bought it yourself, RedCross couldn't even provide someone to help me get up the steps into my house as i still couldn't walk when discharged from hospital . . I did employ a home help without whom I really don't know how I would have coped, and also a physiotherapist for the first two weeks.  I really feel for people who cope with all this on their own . .it must be hell!
    • Posted

Thanks Sarah I'm quite fortunate I do gave help at home from my sons and hubby when he gets home sat weekends but none of them can tackle the ironing!!! Food etc is cooked for me and hoovering done I was lucky that even having op done privately as we are covered through work things like crutches were part of aftercare package so I took them home! I made sure I stocked up on convenience meals as well for when I'm on my own it's just a case of putting in oven 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.