30mg mirtazapine third week

Posted , 4 users are following.

Been on 30mg of mirtazapine this is my third week what's the most serious side affects people had off them iv recently started having pain on my head blurry vision been doctors Monday told me see how I get on if still don't agree go back any advise

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

30mg is quite a high dose for being on for only 3 weeks - did you start at 15mg I wonder.  I had a pain towards the back of my head near the left ear, I knew it was the Mirt' "start up" affecting me at that time, it wore off.  I don't get the pain now ~ there are numerous side effects with Mirt' and we all get different symptoms, if the pain is really bad have a word with your doc', but don't expect them to know anything about this, doctors don't seem to know very much at all about AD's.  Especially about withdrawing slowly as opposed to jumping off over a few weeks.  So if you ever need to come off, seek advice on here first for a slow taper.

Wishing you well Kathleen.

• Posted

30mg was firstly given to me as Iv been struggling with anxiety and depression since December I hadn't slept eaten settled for what seemed a life time has helped with sleep and relaxes me but have my up and down days I mean I didn't know this information so thank you calmer I'll defo take Tha on board when I next see doctor I did explain side affects but just looked at me and proscribed me another month of 30mirt my anxiety played up especially when I don't know what's going on with myself no didn't start 15 went straight to 30 I honestly was a nurvers reck I hadn't slept in months they have picked me up a little apart from Side affects x
  • Posted

Hi Kathleen, I started 30mg mirtazapine tabs today, I'm totally zonked, I've slept most of day and that's just after one, probably should have waited until bedtime but want them to start working. How are you adjusting to them?
    • Posted

Hi Isobel I take mine at night as the tablet has a sleeper relaxer and a depressant so 3 in 1 if u like yes first time taking them I was was zonked for a good 15 hours on day one id slept on and off all day then the upcoming week ahead of me didn't know what hit me I woke feeling dizzy even more depressed tired zombie like didn't feel normal at all!I have 3 children to take care of aswell luckily had lots of help and support for the first 2 weeks I had so many side affects just got to ride with it I'm tiny 5.1 and had people telling me 30mg mirt was way high dose for someone of my size and weight but id honestly wait to take them at bed let me know how you get on hun best of luck
  • Posted

wow 30mg as Calmer says is pretty high to start.  i started on 15mg for 21 days, then 22.5mg for 27 days and now 30mg for 7 days. On startng the 30 I had a pretty rough first week.  Headache and nausea and more anxiety.  i took 500 over the counter tynenol and helped.  I also take Clonazepam for the anxiety.  I need both presently to calm my body.  Did you go in for depression and anxiety?  Are you on any other meds?  My GP always starts low and we work our way up after about 4 weeks.  if you were having trouble sleeping the lower dose is the best for that.  That is one thing I like about the med it lets you sleep and sleep is a healer.  If your doctor stillls insists on doing nothing get a 2nd option or talk to your pharmacist.  i find they are very knowledgeable.  My name with them is problem child...lol...since I call them so much.  Were do you livE?  I am in Alberta  Canada and we have a medication line that we can call and chat with them.  They know a lot and maybe could be something as simple as a tea or something that you ate or if you are taking any health supplements could interfere.

Kathy

• Posted

I thought so myself iv had quite a few side affects I'm not sleeping all that well anymore I'm also on vitamin d tabs aswell I'm going chemist today ill ask them yes been going doctors for weeks withought realising I had anxiety and depression I honestly thought I was going to die iv had every blood test seen every doctor and nurse yet everything come back fine apart from I'm low in vitamin d iv seriously had enough now I'm defo going to get a second opinion I'm in Leicester Kathy
    • Posted

Yes that is the thing the higher the dose you do not sleep as well.  Good job on seeing the chemist and getting another opinion.  I like you had all the tests and everything came back normal.  I have lost 42 pounds in the last 5 months.  My anxiety arose from getting and virus and then vertigo.  With the vertigo came the anxiety.  Good luck!  Please keep us updated.
    • Posted

D3 is a little better than Vitamin D ... worth a mention Kathleen.  Has your doctor discussed going on the waiting list for CBT at all?  It is the way to go, the wait might be 6 weeks so worth getting your name down for it.  I'm just down the road from you ... Nottingham, yay we're nearly neighbours lol smile  
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply hun yes pro d3 capsuls for my bones as didn't eat properly for weeks and made my bones feel ever so brittle but has helped rebuild my strength and felt very low in myself no doctor did recommend counceling witch I'm waiting on to hear back from I slept bloody awful last night may I add gave up smoking 2 weeks ago tomorrow so as you can imagine alot going on spoke to chemist regarding head just said to loosen my hair bobble 🙈 but if does persist to head feeling sore to touch go back doctors feeling shattered today woo hey roomie hehe
    • Posted

Hiya Kathy yes went chemist and no symptoms regarding my sore to touch head but could be down to bobble being 2 tight 🙈 just said if persist to go back doctors I lost weight also witch I hated but now iv quit smoking iv put my pounds on and more witch I love hehe bless you I honestly cant thank you enough for your support means alot
  • Posted

Hello I'm paul basically a was fit healthy person you could meet a went on the drink 2 month ago Christmas works night out basically it was a messy 1 Saturday and Sunday woke up Monday thought a was having a heart attack it was a massive anxiety attack a was in bed for 2 weeks seeing things crying having cold sweats a thought a was going to die on top of all this a couldn't sleep.a got better apart from the insomnia which a had from day 1 like 1 or 2 hours max a night went to doctors she said u must still have anxiety so got put on seratline took it for 5 days a was back to square 1 thought a was dieing chronic anxiety attacks went back to doctors she basically thought it was all in my head a said a need summit to take help sleep a got put on mirzapine 15 mg 2 weeks still wasn't sleeping great could still feel anxiety loads of vivid dreams for 3 hours max then when a woke up felt like a havnt had any sleep back to doctors 30 mg now on 2nd week anxiety came back bad worse than ever a was working away at tine well trying too where a collapsed on site in London paramedics said pulse is 118 u need to calm a said a cabt sleep and that fueling the anxiety got train home went back to doctors a said I'm depsprate I'm going to lose my house and job she said a don't like giving these out but il give you a weeks worth of diazpam 2mg take 3 times a day til a see psychiatrist Monday a took one in morning then afternoon then one at night with this mirtazapine soon as a had the first tablet anxiety was fading couldn't be happier Ano doctors don't like giving benzos out but in my short hell experience with anxiety is there by far the best a have only took 2mg today then il take another 2ng at night hopefully a sleep like last night I'm scared to stop the mirtazapine so il give them another few weeks basically a slept 7 hours more than past 2 month in my short experience with these is they do nothing for anxiety or Ye forgot to mention about the brain zaps which a didn't have till a took these maybe they just take time to work
    • Posted

Hi Paul, I went to doc got meds changed to 15Mg, I still feel totally out of it, though I've worked constantly in the house trying to keep my mind busy, stopping me from thinking what a mess in really in. Do you feel selfish, I feel that way. As if anyone who cares for me I'm pushing away. I keep getting such dizzy spells, like a real rush to my brain. I feel like I've lost reality. You are going thru hell as well. I can only wish you better times ahead. X
    • Posted

Sounds like Mirt isn't working for you (DON'T SUDDENLY STOP TAKING THEM WHATEVER YOU DO).

It's important to try and see the wood for the trees ~ onset seems to be drink related or maybe withdrawal from it, alcohol is the biggest cause of depression/insomnia, if this is your underlying problem don't leg it drag on, it will multiply.

You can't drink on Mirt so if it isn't working for you could that be the problem, usually Mirt works straight away to help sleep at the 15 mg, HOWEVER a lot of folk talk of going up to 30 mg and their anxiety getting worse.  Consider staying at 15mg, paradoxically the lower doses are more sedating, the sedation is slow release and can last all day, for some, others say theirs wares away by mid morning, for me all day.  

You don't say how long you have been on the 30 mg, if its only a week or 10 days you will get away with going back to 15 mg.  

Mirtazapine is horrible to withdraw from so never ever suddenly stop these, anxiety goes through the roof with cold turkey.

You may well find the mix of 15 mg an hour before bed, & the benzo's is enough for you ... I would put the alcohol to one side until you are settled, it will throw off the good of the meds.

The brain zaps are the Mirt' kicking in, the vivid dreams another side effect of Mirt' - they are strangely bizarre yet entertaining right?

Look after yourself, oh and don't expect the doctors to know the difference in 15/30/45 mg and their effects or withdrawal, and don't let the p.doc switch AD's without a good taper from the Mirt' ~ they just love chasing one drug with another if it doesn't work out.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Hello calmer a only used to drink on weekend now and then basically a just has a massive axiety attack a found a lump on nipple and worried myself into this state it's been looked at and its nothing I'm just trying to get my sleep back but before a started the mirtazapine a was ok no anxiety apart from insomnia a mean layed there all night with rites closed not been able to sleep and when a did vivid dream it's like that stage 4 dleep where u feel good a just can't get so a went to doctors she give me 15mg mirtzapine Ye they made me tired but still not sleeping doctor said must still have anxiety there so I've been on 30 mg for 15 days there not helping at all anxiety worse but a can cope when a take 2mg diazpam twice a day a tryed snapping mirtz in half last night and took a 2 mg diazpam still not the best sleep it's been 2 month now and a havnt had a full 8 hours sleep where before a had this attack I'd have 9 every night Ano it's anxiety but a think mirtz are more for depression which a don't think a was any help would be appreciated I'm still taking these 2 mg diazpam only got 2 days left but the past 3 days a feel normal a think this insomnia has made the anxiety worse if a can try and sleep more maybe anxiety may go a just don't know it's like my life has been flipped up side down and if a don't get it sorted il lose my house job and girlfriend I've put her through hell these past 2 month I'd be grateful for any advice is it safe after 16 days on mirtz on 30 mg to go to 15 mg but my first 2 weeks on 15 mg the last few days anxiety creeping in is there anything a can take apart from diazpam for anxiety
  • Posted

Paul I agree with Calmer stay away from the booze.  This could be causing your issues.  The lower the dose the beter you sleep.  I am on 30mg now for 11 days and my sleep has been very restless but its still early being on the new dose.  It seems I have a good day and then the next is bad. 
    • Posted

I've been on mirtzpine 30 mg for 15 days and each day anxiety and sleep worse but when's was 15mg sleep was a little better but anxiety started creeping in last few days on that dose I'm thinking if a can keep taking 2mg of diazpam twice a day for a another week or 2 till mirtz helps with anxiety it's been 15 days people say can take 6 weeks Ano it's not going cute my anxiety but when it gets bad a can't work or function the sleep thing is killing me a think that's fueling the anxiety a should of got help earlier it's like 8 weeks now of hardley any sleep Ano diazpam arnt good but they make me normal I've read mirtzapine arnt good for anxiety on small dose needs to be 45 mg is that true but that mean less sleep can't win lol got to laugh or il cry
    • Posted

I feel your pain Paul.  Even when I was on the lower dose 15mg I did sleep but the anxiety was stilll there in the daytime.  They increased my dose from 15mg to 22.5mg and stilll the anxiety was there and now with the 30mg I still have the anxiety not quite as bad.  I am on Clonazepam a benzo to help with the anxiety until I am hoping the 30mg kicks in.  Some days are good no anxiety  and then other days its back.  Yes I am sleeping more restlessly with the higher dose.  I am hoping things improve as I say its been 12 days now.  I guess all we can do is hang in there and keep taking one day at a time.  Even people not on meds have trouble sleeping as well as good and bad days.  At least you can stil laugh.  Maybe its not the med for you as this is what I have been thinking.  I am waiting to see a PDoc and discuss as I have bee4n dealing with my family doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.