30mg prednisone desperation

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi, I don't know if you remember my story, but I'm the one who can't get reduced on prednisone without a great deal of pain coming back. Well, several days ago after being on 20 mg for a long time and crying every time I walked down the hall in my house, I suddenly started taking 30, 20 morn and 10 at afternoon, and within a day I felt better. The searing pain in my hips was gone and I could walk without crying. The past week I have driven myself to two visits to friends and to a dr appt. Though still in pain, I have done this when I would usually have to cancel the friends, and have my brother take me to the dr.

Everyone will tell me I'm doing a bad thing, so I haven't told anyone yet. What do you all think?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I expect EVERYONE on the forum will write in and say what I am about to say. I.e the dose of Pred you need to be on is the one that eases your symptoms!! In your case that's quite high but......let the Pred do its work and reduce the inflammation then you can SLOWLY start reducing. Pred is our friend not a beast to be feared. Far better to let it do its job because the inflammation can cause far more harm long term than a high dose of Pred.

Good luck Deb!!!

• Posted

Did you ever try doing that with 20mg? Maybe the problem is that the antiinflammatory effects isn't lasting the full 24 hours - happens to a lot of people. And has your doctor EVER thought of trying depotmedrone injections to try to manage your pain? Or possibly even dexamethasone tablets - as I have recently met a few people who find it covers them better 24/7.

I do appreciate the fear they have of pred at high doses. But if there is no other option for pain relief - surely quality of life overrides that?

• Posted

Have you talked to your doctor as it seems there is a problem if you are still on such a high dose after five years?

• Posted

Thanks. I will mention this to the dr. I'm so conflicted, but so desperately in pain.

• Posted

Yes, I have fibro and have had it for many years; the pain is quite different. I tested neg for rheum. arthritis.

• Posted

It does seem that you have more than a PMR problem, as this has gone on for five years, and you are still going up to 30mg of pred, although I may be wrong. I remember you in 2014 saying how much pain you were in.

• Posted

Every thing seemed to be going well with reducing then, got down to 13mg. Then I had pneumonia and since then I can't reduce the pred. without a lot of pain in the PMR places. That might have been 2014, like you said. Since then I have had: two fractures in my back, two knee replacements, continuous oxygen, back pain, fibro ache, PMR pain. Just a leetle too much for me.

• Posted

Debbiehurts, is your diet helping, first with your bones and then with PMR. NO sugar of any kind that is not organic. We eat nothing that is not organic. Then check on all foods that help to grow bones. My bones on the last scan were denser than my first scan. Which the doctor could not explain, I told her diet and exercise! It is not easy , but you can do it and it's worth it. 😉

• Posted

I guess it's been shown that steroids may enhance the action of other pain drugs, but tests of steroids alone didn't show any improvement in fibro.

Have you found they help?

• Posted

There is no logic in steroids relieving the pain of fibro which is a fault in pain perception not inflammation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.