30mg prednisone desperation

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi, I don't know if you remember my story, but I'm the one who can't get reduced on prednisone without a great deal of pain coming back. Well, several days ago after being on 20 mg for a long time and crying every time I walked down the hall in my house, I suddenly started taking 30, 20 morn and 10 at afternoon, and within a day I felt better. The searing pain in my hips was gone and I could walk without crying. The past week I have driven myself to two visits to friends and to a dr appt. Though still in pain, I have done this when I would usually have to cancel the friends, and have my brother take me to the dr.

Everyone will tell me I'm doing a bad thing, so I haven't told anyone yet. What do you all think?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

DebbieHurts, 30mg is what I need to get relief almost two years ago . I was on 30mg for 6 weeks before starting tapering and was PMR pain free. I have never reduced if I had any PMR pain since. DebbieHurts, I am very active and always hurting myself so I have to pay attention to my pains. Try to be positive, active and smile . Had great day skiing with three friends today in the NM sun. 🙂

• Posted

Michdonn, does this mean you are on 30mg now, 2 years later?

• Posted

Oh no Debbie, I was only 30mg for 6 weeks then started to taper. Currently on 5mg and will start tapering to 4.5mg using DSNS as soon as I finish skiing this season. Have to enjoy the snow while we have it.🙂

• Posted

Michdonn, did you use the extra slow method after six weeks on 30? Have fun skiing.

• Posted

Yes,Debbiehurts I have used the DSNS method after the 6 weeks and have always decreased my dosage less than 10%. Starting after skiing I will drop from 5 mg to 4.5, then from 4.5 to 4 which will be greater than 10% for the first time. We will see how it goes.

It was the forum that got me going when I could not walk, especially EileenH. I could not walk and with the encouragement of the forum I got up and moving. You have to smile. 🙂

• Posted

I didn't notice any improvement in the fibro with the steroids, as you say. I guess the narcotic pain relievers I take help, but they are bad for me, too. I wish I could go pill-less some day. I'd like to be one of those yoga miracles, where after starting yoga, my body got better and better. Wouldn't that be good?

• Posted

Spend a little time each day visualizing that miracle. Also, try this exercise: Take a couple of cleansing breaths and feel calm. When you are ready, inhale, hold your breath and concentrate on being healthy. If you have an area which is bothering you, imagine health and healing flowing into the area. Exhale through your mouth, visualizing toxins streaming out and away from you. Breathe normally for a few breaths, then repeat. Each time imagine you are inhaling healing and directing it towards your body, and exhaling out toxins. Don't do it too long, just a few times, and try again the next day. I sometimes do this when I'm out walking in a natural setting. I think being outdoors is helpful, but you can do it anywhere.

• Posted

Have you considered trying 15/15, or better still 10/20 rather than 20/10? A few days would tell the story.

I found more pred in the evening worked better for me, preventing the onset of late afternoon PMR pain.

You may even find 10/15 would work as well.

• Posted

After running with 20 mg prednisone for 4 weeks I was still getting 7-8/10 pain for 4-5 hours/day

After reading posts here I decided to change to 20 mg at 11 pm and 10 mg with breakfast at 9-10 am next morning

Two days on all I can say is AMAZING !

Zero pain or stiffness at all now.

i finally mansged an appointment with my gp and he said 30 should have been my starting dose

BTW, I am 69 , athletic and 81 kg ( target is 72-75, with keto eating plan my proven weight loss tool)

• Posted

I appreciate your replies. Anhaga, I also have a meditation or imagination thing I do very often when I lie down for a rest. I call it Golden Healing Light or sometimes Deep Deep Relaxation, just the words will start me on a little journey of calming the pain. Today I went to get some xrays on my back hips and shoulders, and they showed arthritis of the wear and tear variety. I found a new label on my computer chart that said I have small airways disease. That must be why I have to have this oxygen all the time. I think maybe the PMR is gone, as seen by my SED rate of 12, right?

• Posted

The sed rate being low when you are taking pred doesn't mean the PMR has gone - it means you are on enough pred to manage the inflammation so the liver isn't triggered to make the proteins that increase the blood test levels. It doesn't affect the actual disease process at all as far as is known.

• Posted

What dose of pred are you on at the moment? As Eileen says a low SED rate just means the pred is working OK. Did they define what sort of small airways disease you have? Are you given oxygen from the pharmacist? What did they say it is for?

• Posted

I began taking oxygen when I was recovering from a back fracture, and then they found when I breathed without the oxygen I was only going up to 85 or even lower on the oxymeter. If I breathe deeply I can get it up, but I don't seem able to breathe normally for long.

Somehow I thought the low SED rate meant I was getting better, so I went down on the pred. Now back where I started. I'm so dumb.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.