32/33 weeks post op.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all,

Hope you are all well and making progress.Yesterday felt good, repairs fine, insides smoothing over, scar tissue area thickening up all seemed good.

Went to work this morning, all going well 2/3 hours in throbbing lower pelvis felt like I'd just given birth and all raw and sore. Went and got a chair from cafe, but so busy didn't get to sit much. As morning went on getting worse, told I was getting a seat at checkout shortly (11.45), still too busy to sit at self scan. Finally got a seat at checkout but already been on feet most of shift and been so busy running about, only got checkout for 15 mins.

Thought I was OK till went to head for the door, terrible pain every time I took a step, could hardly get up the stairs. So glad my daughter was taking me home in car (would normally have been 2 hours via 2 buses to get home).

Home now in tears, so painful as soon as I stand up or try to walk. At 7 and a half months feel I shouldn't be like this. Really worried now, can't understand as I've been ever so carefully this time round and do not want to have to go through this again.

Employer has been repeatedly told light duties only and while aknowledging this and doing their best they do not really have anything lighter. I keep checking job site for anything lighter but don't think anything like that actually exists.

Getting so scared for the future now, don't really think I have any alternatuve option's but scared my repairs will be damaged but don't understand why I'm in so much pain yet repairs seem fine.

So fed up resting and all the restrictions at home, still having to avoid any heavy chores and limiting time on my feet. Appointment for consultant not for 4 weeks.

Sorry I'm being so negative but really worried now as to what else now is starting to sag?

Phyl x😡😡😡

1 like, 158 replies

158 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh Phyl I'm so sorry this has happened. You have been so good & rested well. Hopefully it's not as bad as you think, ring the doctor tomorrow and get it checked out to put your mind at rest.

In the meantime feet up, don't do anything.

Sending you a big hug xxx

• Posted

Thank you Imnotadoctor for your kind words,

Unfortunately got another shift tomorrow, will go if I've recovered enough, but will organise a lift there and back and at least I normally get a checkout.

Came straight home and straight to bed, could barely do pelvic floor exercises, but persevered and managed eventually.

Thank goodness the schools are on holiday for their October week, so not doing anything else just staying in bed with feet up.

Will make appointment with GP, but doubt she will be able to tell me anything, repairs seem fine so not sure what causing pain.

Consultant appointment around 14th November, should maybe find out then.

I know they say that 2nd repairs are not as successful, so a bit worried now.

Thank you again for your support,

Much appreciated,

Phyl x💖

• Posted

If you don't feel well enough tomorrow don't go to work, your health is more important. Easy for me to say I know but if you are doing too much it is part of the problem, they must allow you to sit more if that helps.

Can you bring your November appointment forward? Maybe try ringing your Consultant's secretary to explain your concerns, they are often more approachable than you think.

Don't worry too much about your pelvic floor exercises if they hurt, wait until you get some advice on that.

Hope you feel better tomorrow. X

• Posted

I'm only doing my 2 contract shifts just now so kind of feel I have to make the effort if possible.

Was signed of by consultants registrar at 12 week post op appointment. So this appointment in November is a new referral. Had went to GP a month ago when I overstretched scar tissue and was worried at that point as I felt something achy and pulling from what I thought at the time was higher up.

Not really hurting to do pelvic floor exercises, just difficult to do as muscles seem to weaken when pelvic floor under strain like this morning.

But yes you are right about health being more important. I tend to dish out that advice too, but not very good at following it myself.

Will look out appointment letter to see if any contact numbers .

Thank you for advice,

Take care ,

Phyl x💖

• Posted

I agree get checked out.
    • Posted

Thank you steph!

Will do, but want it all to just go away now!

Phyl x😡

• Posted

So sorry your in so much pain, I'm still in a lot of pain, I'm now 6mths post op, the Consultant and Dr are saying the pain is my bowels but colorectal surgeon says not, I'm so frustrated with it.all ,like you I expected to feel like a new women by now, but I'm not even back at work yet ( been off 10 mths now)I've got pelvic physio the end of month to help relax the pelvic floor, even though my GP is great and said pelvic pain is difficult to treat, she has that I don't know what to say anymore on her face , many times I've regretted having the surgery even though it had to be done, I feel that not enough information is given, I was told by dr to not to do as many pelvic floor exercises as this irritates the scar.tissue which can be painful, so we can't win Big Hugs take care xx

• Posted

Hi Melons,

Sorry to hear that you too are experiencing alot of pain post-op.

It is so debilitating, and difficult to get a normal life back.

I was told when awaiting my 1st repair by a nursing assistant who is a neighbour that I would be like a new woman and although that wasn't the case I did on the whole get most of life back for about two and a half years.

I do find that sometimes I overdo the pelvic floor exercises and cause the muscles to spasm, and then have difficulty doing any at all, and GP is right about irritating the scar tissue. Has she prescribed you Estriol, you can get that in cream topical form to target the scar tissue; I found that it has really helped thicken the scar tissue and at least that is one less thing to worry about!

I hope you get some decent solutions soon, it is very difficult living with pain!

Thank you for your support much appreciated,

Phyl x💖

• Posted

I'm on patches and vagifem the consultant gave me the cream to use for 6 weeks I felt a bit overdosed with estrogen lol xx

• Posted

😅😅😅!

My hubby said I was glowing on vagifem, but then at work they think your fine!

X

• Posted

Lol I think my hubby is as fed up as me ,work have said if I don't go back nxt month I in jeopardy of losing my job ,so feeling a bit presurred My head says I can do my job but my body is saying no chance, My hubby said go back for a month then I will know wether I can handle it but feeling quite aprehensive xx

• Posted

I went back at 11/12 weeks and was doing fairly well for first couple of months as store was quiet due to holiday season.

Then as schools went back got really busy, and work not as supportive as was in beginning.

Getting really busy and heavy as people start to stock up for Xmas .

When you decide to go back try and negotiate a staged return, fewer days, and reduced hours to start with too see how you cope!

My occupational health adviser was very unsupportive and tried to tell me I should be back at work at 3/4 weeks post op (just as well I knew better having been through a repair before ), that would have damaged my repairs for sure.

Look after yourself and take care, your own health is more important!

Phyl x💖

• Posted

Hi ladies i had my op in feb this year and like you am still in pain I've had numerous investigations with colorecal docs all say its not my bowels. I've also been told possible coccydnia,pelvic congestion and pudendal nerve entrapment for wich I've even had injection pain gets you down doesn't it just want to feel normal again .love to you all x

• Posted

So sorry to hear you too are having problems with ongoing pain Karen.

My first repair was not this painful at this stage.

I vaguely remember that if I was rushing to catch a bus I would get similar pains but much milder. But then wasn't on my feet as much.

The pain this time is pretty sharp and intense; more like when I had my first prolapse at advanced stage. The more I continued to drag myself to work the more advanced the prolapse got till I eventually could barely get out the door to even go shopping.

Hoping it's something simple that can be easily fixed! I hope they find a solution for you soon Karen.

Take care,

Phyl x💖

• Posted

Hi Phyl. I wish Matron would come on speak to you now. It sounds very painful so just put your feet up and rest, phone in sick! I don't think occu health are on your side but they are on the side of your firm!  frown As we all tell ourselves, listen to your body. I'm 73 and waiting to get another repair, first 2 have failed as one of them was a hysterectomy/cystocele and it's caused a vaginal vault prolapse after 33 years and a rectocele 14 years ago. Be good to yourself and stay home Phyl. Best wishes, Pollyanna x rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Pollyanna,

I know your right. Was hoping to hold out until I see consultant, to see if this can be easily fixed. Don't want to be off on sick again, if possible.

What kind of symptoms did you get when the vault collapsed and how do they check for that, hope you don't mind me asking?

Thank you for your advise,

Phyl x?

• Posted

Forgot to mention I was in touch with Matron last time I went to GP, she is aware I have been referred back to hospital.

I know matron is still following all messages and can contact us personally if need be or if need be I can contact matron!

She advised that 'probably something that can be fixed'. So hoping that she is right and it's nothing to worry about but after today just a little shocked at how quickly things can progress to much worse, especially as was just thinking last night how good I felt and how well healed the repairs have went.

Pollyanna you must be doing something right when your repairs have lasted so well between them if you get what I mean?

I do miss matron though !

Phyl x?

• Posted

Hi it's me again, I've got a grade 1 vaginal vault prolapse but my consultant left it as.apparently it can cause bad pain in your bottom, I'm not sure what symptoms this causes, maybe it's contributing to my pain, I do feel at times that I want to hold my bits up after I've walked a long time hope this helps a little xx

• Posted

I had a very mild prolapse for years, without realizing what it was.

I worked on my feet all day at the time but only part-time and only occasionally was in all week to cover holidays.

Always wondered why sometimes felt like I had leaky bladder and as if I had infection, years later realized it was prolapsed walls getting irritated when starting to sag. Always use to get a dull toothache type dill pain in lower spine.

Think that was the start of prolapse but didn't co-relate it with the weeks I was covering holidays till much later.

Probably was the start of peri-menopause which again didn't even know existed until recently, think that's when estrogen levels start to deplete.

X

• Posted

I was like you, I would leave work hardly able to walk but put it all down to my age 52 I was always running to the toilet, still doing that now I got all the dragging down pain 6 weeks post op but consultant said my bladder had dropped but I've no prolapse, the pain does get you down, im on strong painkillers but my bowels haven't worked without strong laxatives since the surgery either, I hope you get some answers xx

• Posted

Hi Phyl. I just lost a long script, comp went funny! My symptoms are lots of back pain, plus the awful dragging sensation you will know what I mean. I went in for the removal of an ovarian cyst and the prolapse was discovered then. I thought it was the cyst causing problems but I still have them. The oophrectomy/cystectomy was a doddle compared with repairs. It seems to be a long waiting list here, plus I asked for them not to use polyester tape as I'm allergic to it. It may cost more to use other materials, don't know really. Hope all goes well tomorrow for you. Try giving them an ultimatum, sit down or go off sick and see what happens! Night night, Pollyanna. rolleyes

• Posted

Just before my first op, prolapse was so bad that it was peaking out about the size of a golf ball, tried the pessary (ring), preferred the one that I could fit myself and take out at night, but eventually kept coming out. By that time wearing pads all the time (weepy bladder and could never make it to toilet in morning) .

Recent surgery (my 2nd repair), had actually went to GP as had a kink at the end of bowel and was therefor not emptying properly, but found it difficult to wipe clean.

Had went from regular once a day too going lots of times and really becoming a problem.

But was told it was the front repair failing that was causing pressure on the back wall, and therefor not needing the back done.

In actual fact had both back and front repair this time and I believe that the kink in the bowel appeared straight after the 1st repair and had something to do with wearing the ring as I could never do the toilet without taking the ring out.

Anyway feels like a prolapse pain but not so much in lower back as deep in pelvic floor this time. probably won't be able to pinpoint it until it gets much worse.

X

• Posted

I think my problem now is just weak muscles/tissues. A nurse said my skin is very fragile now so it probably means the same inside. Not sure what I've done 'right'! The ops were done originally by an ordinary gynae as they didn't have uro gynae's then. Maybe the older methods lasted longer! I did all the correct things during recovery I think, ie; feet up and rest a lot! twisted 

• Posted

Hi me again I have all those problems too Phyl. Using pads all the time now for leakage and can't get to loo fast enough especially in the mornings. The bulge I have is the back wall, rectocele again, I have to empty bowel umpteen times a day too! Totally fedup and concerned in case they can't fix due to my age and poor tissues. confused

• Posted

What kind of work did you do? I was talking to someone the other day ; reminiscing back when my mother was working - she initially worked in administration as a wages clerks and after having family went back to work in warehouse in Goldbergs store.The women never ever did any heavy weight bearing the porters done all that and the women hung clothes on the mobile rails.

I don't think that all the protesting for equal pay and following that the having to do the same work has really helped us females when at the end of the day we are built different and our bodies can be damaged with child birth and the difference in hormones including the estrogen depletion doesn't help.

We are now having to work longer even more extra years than men and no allowance made for being female! So think it's much harder to protect repairs now.

Phil x

• Posted

At the time of the first op I worked in a school, welfare, lunchtime meals etc. I didn't have to pick the kids up but I was on my feet a lot. Also I had 4 fairly large babies and i think it started after the last one was born. Second time around, I was in a shop, dept store and as you say, no porters! We did all the lifting plus running up and down 3 flights of stairs to different floors. No lift in the store! now I'm retired and not doing much at all lately for aforsaid reasons. lol I'm just worn out!

• Posted

I've actually forgot what normal is, I have been in pain since December last year and off work,i thought the pain would go away after the repair but it's just the same so Dr is now saying something else must be going on, I'm trying to stay positive but difficult sometimes having a Sigmoidoscopy nxt month to rule out lower bowel disease(not looking forward to that) hugs to you xx

• Posted

So far this time bladder and bowel working for most of the time. But that is why I think my repairs are still good. So can't understand what's going on.

It's the long term damage I'm really scared of, if I keep overdoing at work it will eventually fail again and they will only be able to fix it so many times before their is too much scar tissue and then won't be able to work at all if they can't fix it.

I think you must have resonablly good muscle tissue for your repairs to last so well; my physio explained that we all have different muscles/tissue strength that it was to do with collagen .

Really hope you are able to get this fixed again and that it lasts, matron said that their are new and better techniques all the time.

Take care

X💖

• Posted

Same here Melons. See my posts to Phyl. I'm waiting for another appt with consultant at the moment as he is apparently the only one who can authorise the use of natural fabrics for my repair instead of the presumably cheaper polyester tape. Don't know what grade mine is, wasn't told! Maybe he thinks Im too old understand all their jargon! lol

• Posted

A sigmoidoscopy really isn't that bad, apart from to your dignity!

It's quite fast, not like a colonoscopy, It's soon over and gives them a lot of information.

• Posted

Thanks Phyl. I'm not so fit these days unfortunately due to arthtritis and other issues but I live in hopes. Take care tomorrow. X smile

• Posted

Hi Phy hope you are feeling a little better today good to hear that matron still follows so sad she's gone from the site though her input was invaluable to s she helped me through some tough times..x

• Posted

Thank you Karen, feeling much better although still a bit sore and sensitive.

I think we all miss the input from Matron, she is still in the back ground and helping with the very important research that is going on.

So still a very important part of things.

Phyl x☺

• Posted

Pollyanna , no wonder you prolapsed, you must have been one strong lady, you have been through the wars.

I really do hope that with all the new teckniques and treatments they find a good solution for you!

Must admit I left scoop and went straight into office work, and have only done heavier jobs in later years. So maybe I don't have enough muscle built up to cope with heavier work.

Look after yourself, and keep up the comments I'm sure we can all benefit from your input.

Phyl x?💖

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.