34 with mild Shingles, no pain, weird?

Posted , 56 users are following.

SO happy I found this community! I've been treated like a leper by 2 doctors when I was diagnosed with Shingles. Apparently it's "unheard" of in young people (I'm 34) unless we're immune compromised, but reading other young, healthy people on here who have had Shingles is a big relief!

My outbreak was kind of strange.. on my upper butocks, a small, isolated area with maybe a dozen blisters. Mild itching, almost zero pain, scabbed over and healed in less than two weeks. If I didn't get it checked out I would have assumed it was just an allergic reaction or bug bites. I had a lesion swab that came out positive for herpes zoster and was put on the valacyclovir  beforehand, about 5 days after the rash showed up. Either the meds did the trick or I just healed naturally. So I guess my questions are:

1. Why did I get it at my young (and presumably healthy) age?

2. Why was it such a mild case? The pain-free seems to be unheard of.

Thanks!

8 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have had mild chronic shingles for 15 years (age 43), after my husband died frm ALS. They started small, like a bug bite. once a year for 2 years, then ever increasingly, until I now have 4-6 outbres a year. They have slowly but steadily worsened, with this last one sending me to the ER in unbearable pain. While there, the doctor asked me if I had any other places with a blister, and I did, on my other leg, one blister. I'd once had one blister on my upper lip, and it has left a pock mark although I never touched it that I knew of. So at least 2 times I have had it on more than one place at a time, showing as one blister. The one on my leg this time hasn't healed enough to know if it will be a pock mark also, but it looked like a small staph infection and had been a bit itchy. Ive been doing major research since I was in the ER 3 weeks ago and it seems there are many anomalies, and possible real danger of encephalitis or retinal necropathy. It can be inside you as well as outside. I'm exhausted, though feeling better. Good luck to you and to all of us. Sincerely

• Posted

I am glad that you found this community too. We have so much we can all learn from each other and it's nice to know that we're not alone!

• Posted

I thought I had a pimple forming between my eyebrows on the left side and scratched it.  Withing a few hours I had about 10 to 15 small blisters.  I didn't go to the doctor until about 4 weeks in.  There is no pain and the rash is does not itch (unless I forget and rub on it).  I am now on meds for shingles.

The reason I wanted to write on this forum is that I had a cold sore form on the corner of my mouth about 4 days after the blisters had formed, so I got my carmex out and used it on my cold sore, I thought I would put it on the blisters.  The carmex really helped with the rash and continues to help.  If I forget to use it, it seems like I start getting more blisters.

• Posted

Hi all, I found this thread as, similar to the OP, I'm 33 and currently have what so far seems to be a mild case of shingles (collection of itchy blisters underarm, no significant pain, no flu like symptoms as of yet).. Kind of reassuring that others are in the same boat, although I was surprised to see a few people say they had had multiple outbreaks over the years. From my previous reading I had the impression that you could only have shingles once or perhaps twice, but I guess that doesn't seem to be the case!

I'm also a little concerned about my age - i did have a peculiar white blood cell issue when i was very small (5 or 6 think), but have had basically no issues since then, so wouldn't describe myself as having a compromised immune system. Prior to this outbreak I had been feeling thoroughly relaxed, de-stressed, and very well, so it just seems very odd timing.

Anyway thanks for letting me vent my thoughts..

• Posted

I too have been diagnosed with Shingles and suffer from no pain thank goodness.  I suffer from a stress related condition and may have been under a lot of work pressure at the time.  Could the two be related?  Also the doctore has prescribed anti-biotics Augmenten 500 Foban ointment.  I have also been advised I can't hold or hug my 5 yo daughter for a week --- is that correct?  My growths are dried and no longer seeping. 

• Posted

Hi

I have a rash on side of my body . No pain

Very slight itching only if u touch it . I feel tired

And some intestinal irritation , but I have Ibs.

My doctors don't know if it is shingles, lyme or just contact dermatitis . No bulls eye . No fever .

They said shingkes is treated with non antibiotic

And lyme with antibiotic .

Anybody care to guess what I have

I am 65 never had shingkes or lyme

• Posted

Hi Linda, I'm not sure why you'd want us to try and guess your condition/s if a medical professional who has presumably seen you in person can't diagnose you at present. 

I would suggest going to a different doctor for a second opinion to hopefully provide some clarity.

• Posted

Three doctors. Three opinions. Either Lyme

(Which seems doubtful ) shingles or contact

Dermatitis . No pain some itching rash has nit changed much . Feel tired . No fever

• Posted

They didn't give you an antiviral? Like valcyclovir or acyclovir? It makes those go away very quickly. I was sexually assaulted at 28 and it was so nice of my attacker to give me herpes. I am on valcyclovir daily as a supressive measure. I get shingles when I don't take my meds.

• Posted

I am 42 years old and I came down with shingles last week. I think it flared up due to stress. I plan to go to the doctor tomorrow morning since the blistering rash is spreading from my stomach to my back. I have no pain other than tenderness in the rash areas. The blistering clusters give me chill bumps cause they look gross. Hopefully I can get a med to stop the spread and dry it up. It's horrible to look at, thus my sex life is on pause.

• Posted

It happened to me at 25 I had a long line of blisters over my eye brow down around my ear and I thought I was bit by a spider so I put rubbing alcohol and vitamin e on it. They never came back in that spot but I believe stress is a major factor along. I am curious though I had a child at 16 so I wonder if that has an affect on the way the body that could cause a change in chemical balance or immune deficiency issues. I don't know anything about the medical field so forgive me if this sounds ignorant.

• Posted

Im so glad i found this site/forum...im 37 and i have had outbreaks on my face since i was in my 20's. I get one right on my upper lip. Not on my lip or in my nose but right there in between. First it looks like a little pimple, kinda hurts like a pimple...cause i totally forget what happens if i try to pop it. Well i go to sleep n wake up and my upper lip feels like it has its own heart beat. Then i notice multiple blister lookin pimples. Then for the next 3 days it blisters then scabs then like a couple of weeks later its gone. But in the process my hair hurts, lol, my head and one side of my whole face/head hurts. One time i decided to get tested for sexual transmitted diseases...i got all my results back except for the hiv test...i started to stress out and BAM i had an outbreak. So when i went to the doctors to find out about my results i also told the doctor about my break out. He said that it was too late to prescribe me medicine but the reason i got thay was because of stress. Made sense to me but it takes a toll on me mentally because everyone takes 2 steps back when they see my face. Smh .. nothing works the only thing that kinda helps is putting ointment on it so it doesnt crack n blees when its healing up. The one thing i noticed was when i start to stess and not sleep well, thats when it tends to come out. And depending on how stressed out and tired ive been determines how big it ends up being. Sad part is no one understands and tries to brush it off. Thank you for listening to my story, i feel like a load has been lifted.

• Posted

Glad I've found this discussion too. I'm 32 had a rash appear last night thought was a bite or bites bit someone suggested shingles. as I have a 5 month old I thought best to check turns out it is. I have one small cluster at the bottom of my back mild pain got meds he said it shouldn't get worse now . he was surprised I have it and asked if I've been stressed can't say I have. someone below mentioned trauma I.e. surgery and I did have a ceasearean which could be a reason.

• Posted

Hello!  I was diagnosed with shingles 5 days ago when I I had a sore tingling patch of skin on my chest.  It moved up my neck and finally I started getting stabbing pain in my ear.   Even though I didn't have any rash, the Dr. put me on the antiviral drugs and assured me I would have a rash by the following day.  And I did.  The rash itself is not painful at all...but I feel like I have the flu, plus the skin on much of my upper body is sore, like it is burnt.  Has anyone else had this odd reaction?   I thought the skin would only be sore where the rash was?   Im worried the rash may not be finished coming out??     any thoughts would be so appreciated! 

• Posted

Your experience is typical, and the best thing you can do is not scratch on or around them. Everything you described is familiar. The nerve should follow one pathway, and not be on both sides of your body, like both legs or arms. It can wrap around your chest, neck, it can be just a few areas or a footlong rash so painful you are bedridden. Sometimes it infects the nerve its traveling on but never erupts. Expect phantom pains later, or neuropathy. Take some pain killers, Vitamin C and B-12 and just let it run its course. From start to finish it can last 3 weeks, but the painful part is in the middle third. Good luck and try to reduce the stress in your life!.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply.  It has eased my mind considerably!   One last question.....how long will a rash continue to come out?   now that this path has been out for about 4 days, do you think it is finished now, even though I feel sore on more of my skin?   also, feeling as though you have the flu is normal?   
    • Posted

Remember that you have a virus, so all the symptoms...nausea, temp, body aches or chills could be present. I have found that if there is a sensitive skin are near an outbreak that it may in a day or two break out further in rash. Everyone is different though. 10 days to 3 weeks is the usual run, depending on the individual and the outbreak. Sometimes the blisters don't come out at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.