34 with mild Shingles, no pain, weird?

Posted , 56 users are following.

SO happy I found this community! I've been treated like a leper by 2 doctors when I was diagnosed with Shingles. Apparently it's "unheard" of in young people (I'm 34) unless we're immune compromised, but reading other young, healthy people on here who have had Shingles is a big relief!

My outbreak was kind of strange.. on my upper butocks, a small, isolated area with maybe a dozen blisters. Mild itching, almost zero pain, scabbed over and healed in less than two weeks. If I didn't get it checked out I would have assumed it was just an allergic reaction or bug bites. I had a lesion swab that came out positive for herpes zoster and was put on the valacyclovir  beforehand, about 5 days after the rash showed up. Either the meds did the trick or I just healed naturally. So I guess my questions are:

1. Why did I get it at my young (and presumably healthy) age?

2. Why was it such a mild case? The pain-free seems to be unheard of.

Thanks!

8 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

2 weeks later and after finishing meds my rash has still not gone it has spread to my leg and although I have only small patches of blisters my whole leg is severely itchy and I had no sleep last night because of it.  the burning feeling I think will be the itchiness that's how my back felt at first.  I'm calling back docs tomorrow I need to see if I can manage this itching antihistamines and calamine aren't doing much for me! just when i think it's dying down it seems to get worse.

• Posted

Is it possible you are opening up the blisters and spreading the virus filled serum around your body? Even in sleep it could happen. One reason it can last so long is that the outbreaks continue to happen, days later, from the same initial eruption site. Always following a nerve pathway til its done. Use a hot cloth and dont press too hard, put nothing on it unless it is very painful. It will dry up and get a crust that will fall off. Hang in there, it will soon be a bad memory. If it keeps happening over time, consider valcyclovir, its helps if you catch the symptoms within 24 hours. Most people only have shingles once.
    • Posted

they don't seem to be weeping though they just have tiny crusts on the top I had a week course of the acyclovir I caught it within 24 hours went the Drs the day after the rash came. they haven't leaked any fluid at all

• Posted

That's good. Sometimes they don't even erupt. I hope you are well quickly!

• Posted

I i am also middle aged and hope my immune system is strong. I got it on my wrist. I hope you read this as I would like to send pictures too confirm it. Seen a dr they prescribed a pill. Still within the first couple days since developing the blisters ACT-FAMCICL OVIR 500 MG. 
  • Posted

Hey all I got a fungal infection on my groin and used clotrimazole but during this period I wasn’t sleeping well and extremely stressing out. I am only 29 years old. Then one night from my perspective looking down i got a small red dot on the side of my stomach that burned. The red dot looked like it was under the skin but then it raised up a bit then it turned in to a fluidy scab a few days later. 2 weeks have passed by but i still feel warmth and a burning sensation from the side where this red dot appeared. I went to a urgent care doctor and she said it could be Shingles but she said its weird that only one scab/lesion appeared. She said it could be because I’m young and my immune system. She prescribed me meds for it but does it sound like Shingles to you guys? I took pictures of this bump throughout the whole process. Its scabbed over but this burning sensation is still lingering i havent taken the meds yet. And I have had chicken pox when i was younger
  • Posted

I dont know your case and I am not a doctor but I was rediagnosed with coc-sycchy excuse spelling possibly from my six year old who was sick a few weeks earlier.To the person on the forum with an itchy groin try taking a broad spectrum worm tablet had it for years and it cured me possibly passed on my animals. My 2cents
  • Posted

I just turned 26 two weeks ago. I was diagnosed with shingles today. Ive had a really small cluster of bumps on my lower right side thats been pretty itchy. I thought it might have been a rash from chaffing from my high wasted leggings, or just fungul infection. So i made an appointment just in case. The doctor just looked at it and said he was pretty sure its shingles. He said its generally very painful and is mostly found in patients over 60. He said it can be caused by stress...but no bloodwork or skin scrape was done so im having a hard time accepting that its 100% shingles. I haven't had any nerve pain, and doesnt seem to be spreading, but i was put on Valtrex, so my fingers are crossed that my rash actually clears up. If anyone has any advice on how to prevent future breakouts, please let me know! Id be super appreciative.

• Posted

I started to get shingles in my forties, I would get them 5 or 6 times a year. I went to a holistic doctor and he ask me if I have had any shell fish lately, which I had. He said to stop eating shell fish and you will stop getting shingles. He told me that shell fish weakens your immune system ( I guess that's why the bible tells us not to eat them) He said that most people just feel tired and a little off the next day.

• Posted

I started to get shingles in my forties, I would get them 5 or 6 times a year. I went to a holistic doctor and he ask me if I have had any shell fish lately, which I had. He said to stop eating shell fish and you will stop getting shingles. He told me that shell fish weakens your immune system ( I guess that's why the bible tells us not to eat them) He said that most people just feel tired and a little off the next day.

• Posted

My 87 yr old husband has severe but painless Shingles...so far! Both eyes and face swollen. A very good Opthamologist is treating him (UK) , but I am appalled by the ignorance of most medics who say there is no treatment. The anti viral pills, eye drops and creams have worked wonders and saved his sight. I wish I had found this site earlier,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.