37 year old mom of two little girls just referred to rheumatoligist.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi.  I went to my family doctor because of flu like aching, night chills and low grade fever, fatigue,  and aching in my joints. She ran a plethora of blood tests including Lyme, mono, lupus, andv ra.  All were negative except for ra.  My rf was 26 and my anti ccp was 31 which is considered weakly positive . she gave me two steroid packs and Meloxicam.   she also referred me to a rheumatologist.  I cant seem to shake this constant aching and EXTREME fatigue, but I have had no joint swelling.  Has anyone ever presented this way? Im reluctant to go to the rheumatologist because I have no swelling. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Absolutely. Because you have no inflammation or pain does not mean the disease isn't lurking in the background. As with many autoimmune diseases, they wax and wane.

So in a way, this is a good thing for you that it was found this quickly. See the rheumatologist as soon as you can and get started on DMARDS. You want to prevent the inflammation and destruction.

Please don't decide not to take the drugs because you have no swelling.

When do you see the rheumatologist?

• Posted

Thank you so much for responding.  I haven't made my appt yet (im in u.s.), but im going to call and tell them I want to go tomorrow.   I just feel like because I dont look like anything is wrong with me, then they will dismiss me as a hypochondriac.  Have you heard of anyone else presenting like this?
    • Posted

Lots of people present like this. And many people, until the meds kick in, will tend to ignore the lab results. Too, some rheumatologists will do a bit of a wait and see before starting you on meds. But you need to lay the groundwork now.

I'm glad you're following through on this. As far as being labeled a hypochondriac, don't be silly. You're doing the smart thing. Rheumatologists are very trained and experienced with autoimmune diseases and they know how the symptoms come and go, and that what you feel [or don't feel] today, may not hold true tomorrow.

I'm in the US. The moderators will kill my post if I post a link to a good RA website, so google these terms and you should come up with the actual URL. You'll find lots of help there.

Inspire

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Connect

• Posted

CA-Lynn,

We do not "kill posts" with links in as long as they are relevant to the discussion and a reputable site so feel free to post them. They will go for moderation but will be approved if acceptable as above. What we don't allow is multiple posts with the same links in "over promoting" other sites. See http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts for full info.

I assume the one you mean is https://www.inspire.com/groups/arthritis-foundation/topics/rheumatoid-arthritis-ra-connect/

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Ala,

Sorry to differ, but I have found that EVERY SINGLE TIME I've tried to post the Inspire RA website it was deleted and treated as spam It is NOT spam. It is owned by the ARthritis Foundation, in conjunction with other medical org's, none of which sell products or even advertise them on the website.

I suggest you visit the site.

• Posted

Hi Lynn,

I have just checked and there has only been one post that was deleted that was similar to the one above telling users what to google. I have visited the site as I have posted the link above. All I am is saying it is fine to post it but it will be delayed while waiting for moderation and please do not post it repeatedly. At some point I may add a pinned discussion on the RA page with useful references suggested by users where the link can be included and referred to. See the top discussion here for an example of how this works - https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/polymyalgia-rheumatica-and-gca-1708 Users can then guide others to the pinned discussion rather than repeatedly having to use the link and facing delays.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Many times the swelling is not visible to you. When I was diagnosed I couldn't see any swelling, although 5 of my joints were apparently swollen which the Rheumatologist diagnosed. Nobody can judge you except you, yourself; ur comment on being a hypochondriac. My advice is to go see the Rheumatologist, even though you may come out with nothing. Early diagnosis is what saved me and it only started with pain in my wrist that I thought was from strength training. Good luck.
  • Posted

I agree you should make the appointment

Early treatment is the key to less joint damage.  I had swelling and relentless pain and fatigue.  The swelling was mostly in my fingers,  elbows and ankles.  Swelling more and less in some places.  She did an ultrasound of my finger joints and saw alot of fluid did an x ray of my hands and joints and showed damage.   My labs weren't really off the charts other than my sed rate which was way high.  So believe what they say and check it out with a rheumatologist that way you can make an informed decision.   Good luck keep us posted

• Posted

Thanks y'all!  I will keep everyone updated.  Im scared.  I really dont want this to be ra.  God bless. 
  • Posted

If it's of any help, I endorse everything CA Lynn says even down to what she's sharing on google.

My early experience with RA was the intense debilitating fatigue.

• Posted

Hello amymomof2. As you can see from all of the replies everyone can present differently. I don't get swelling, just severe joint pain and the fatigue you described. It must be so hard with having to look after small children. I don't know how you do it but I hope you have some good family support and get the treatment you deserve.
  • Posted

I find the doctors too determined to give people with RA toxic liver destroying medications. My dad had RA over 50 years and had pain and swelling but managed both while the RA did worsen. But he lived to be 85 and to be honest, he just refused all this toxic stuff and did it his own way. I have recently been diagnosed and having listened to several doctors I now realise that most of us ( if not all of us) in the NHS system are just part of experiments to see what drugs will or won't work. By the way, for inflammation increase the omega 3 to about 3000mg per day. Instantly starts reducing inflammation. Diet can and does help in some cases - a factor dismissed by too many doctors. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.