38 days on prozac, feeling worse than ever

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi everyone,

i just need some positive vibes again. I was hoping prozac would be working in some way by now, today i feel like ive got the flu coming, teary, and very low. I did force myself to go out for an hour, spoke to people, browsed the op shops. Trying to feel optimistic and cheery, im pretty sure my hormones are the cause of all the anxiety etc. Basically keep telling myself i will get through this rough patch, the strange feelings and odd symptoms are continuous. Is prozac always so slow to kick in? Any advice for me? I really like the support this forum provides, best wishes to one and all 🌹

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Prozac is very slow to kick in.. do not give up!! it is still early days yet. I am not sure of your age but have you had your hormone levels tested? I went back on the pill to help with my depression as well.. on a pill where the tablets do not change hormone levels.. they really help.
    • Posted

Hi lookingonwards,

yes have had hormones tested post menopause, im 59. I had a hystorectomy in 2011 ovaries left. I have had lots of blood tests mri, cat scan on abdomen as i have fluttering in belly. Had my gallbladder out in mar this year, since then ive been sick with what drs say is anxiety. Im now depressed with all of these weird feelings, really hoping for some relief with prozac. Ive read that patience is a virtue, every day is a step closer to being well, i hope. Thank you for your reply, cheers 🌺

• Posted

Hi carol I am 6 weeks in . Just seen my doc and she said would I double my dose to 40 mg I said no I will carry on as I am as I'm scared of further side effects x I am too having a hard time but I have been doing meditation ( YouTube music ) . I also have had flu symptoms on these tablets . I am trying to think positive and trying to get back into a routine as I am off work sick x have you tried deep breathing when first wake up in the morning ?

• Posted

Hi Andrea,

thanks for your reply i appreciate it. Yes i bo the breathing and tell myself over and over im calm, i have inner trembles along with hot flush. I feel the sweat pour off my face n down my chest. Hormones? I never knew how awful anxiety can be 24 7, i just had the usual anxiety at times like tests, or my wedding, or os travel mmm. I see a therapist every two weeks not sure if it helps but talking is a good thing! Why do we feel slightly better at night? So odd, i cant watch the news or anything violent on tv. I have to try to see the good things in my life and to enjoy the little things more. Im hopeful we can all see better days soon. Hugs to you, keep strong 🌹

• Posted

Yes I'm exactly the same as how your describing . Maybe the evening are when are bodies can relax a bit . I can more when the kids go to bed . Can't watch anything sad or couldn't on telly . I've stopped watching eastender as its too depressing lol your lucky you see a therapist are in in the UK ? I have CBT booked in but not sure if the date . I've been on flu for over 6 weeks and I don't want to up my meds

• Posted

Hi Andrea,

i live in Australia, seeing a psychologist is covered for ten visits per year under medicare i pay a gap so its about forty dollars a visit. After the ten visits i will pay full price. To be honest im not sure if its what i need, i need a cuddle and a shoulder to cry on.

im coming to the conclusion my anxiety, dep is caused by my hormones being out of sync. Ive also got a few health worries.

I think if you dont want to up the dose see how you go as lots of people get to a good place without an increase. But we have to be patient, by the sound of it. It wont happen overnight but it will happen!

May 2017 be a happy one for you and yours x🌹

• Posted

Aw I see - it's different in the UK . You have to wait a long time for treatment . Paying is very expensive . Yes hormones can make a difference. stick with it . I am . Still feeling not that good - just wanted to be myself again x

• Posted

Hi andrea,

how have you been these last weeks? Improving i hope? I believe the weather in Uk has been bitter? We in Aust have been sweltering, stopped me going out for walks, feel so lazy too! 

Im always reading the old post here hoping for positivity, so many people going through the same process, worried we wont get to the magic moment when we return to our old happy selves. But its totally possible, it just takes time, and patience. Best wishes to you from down under,🐨

• Posted

Hi carol - thank u for your email . Yes getting cold here . Very windy too . I've upped the tablets 40 mg last week so feeling a bit nausea and slightly anxious going out and first few hours after taking tablets .definitely feeling better but not quiet 100 % . How is you ?

• Posted

38 days is really early still.  Can take many months before you start feeling the beginnings of recovery.  Agree - don't give up - you need a lot of patience and perseverance on these meds.  They will work if you give them lots of time.

K x

• Posted

Hi Katecogs I've been on 20mg fluoxetine now for 51 days still get lots of days sick feeling nauseous, I thought this should have passed by now, any advice greatly appreciated

• Posted

Hi Bigmant

My son was on these meds and it took him 9 months to recover - he started noticing changes around the 5 months mark, yet it still took another 4 months to get well.  During that time he had side effects still which slowly eased off.

Everyone is different and so reacts differently to meds.  51 days is early for you still I reckon and I'm sure the nauseous feeling will ease as more time goes by.  You could ask your doctor if there's anything you could have to ease the sick feeling maybe?  Something I find helps is drinking ginger ale - ginger helps nauseau.  Also having regular small meals - if I was hungry that's when I found I felt more nauseous.

Its best to count recovery in months, not days or weeks.  Treat each month as a week - as each month passed for me I found it got easier.  Took me 6 months to recover.

Hope that helps a bit - its not nice feeling sick - I remember it well 😞

K xx

• Posted

Thanks Katecogs I called the Dr this afternoon, lucky she returned my call, she gave me some anti nauseous tablets also said that if I'm feeling sick now at the 8 week I should try another antidepressant,,I don't want to be going through this all again, I did it 10 years ago, ended up on efexor for past. 8 half years, it kept me OK for long time but pooped out so was changed to fluoxetine, ive had some good days but lately I've been lucky have few good hours, very erratic, never know my mind or mood from 1 day to next, as you've said it takes months, ive got disheartened reading some stories people who recover quick, I know we all different shouldn't do this,the more I'm feeling so low past while I've started walking beginning this week going try keep at it every day,, thanks all advice greatly appreciated

• Posted

Hi Bigmant

Mmmm me personally I'd keep on with it - everyone's different and would expect it would wear off eventually.  You're right re starting another - best to try and get the most out of this one before thinking of changing.  My son struggled with this meds for months - but he recovered completely on it eventually.

I'm curious as to why your old meds pooped out.  They don't usually stop working.  Did something significant happen in your life leading up to that maybe?  It can have an impact on meds occasionally.

Sounds like the Fluoxetine is starting to work for you though - having some good hours.  It often starts like that, and those hours build up to longer times.

Its quite unusual for people to recover quickly on these type of meds - some do of course, but most go a good 3-4 months and beyond.  Try not to stress about others recovery times though - we're individual and all heal at different rates.  Your mind will race and think the worst of course though - it always does.  You'll think completely differently when you're better.

Hope you get some relief with the anti nauseous tablets.

Keep in touch xxxx

• Posted

Thanks Katecogs I will keep on with the fluoxetine,I know it's hard, with all the good support on here will get there, many thanks again, keep up the good work

• Posted

Hello katecogs,

thank you for replying, ive read some of your advice to others and you seem to be very caring and helpful.

i wonder do you think that the generic brands of prozac vary in effect. I was given zantic i asked for lovan chemist said its the same, my last repeat i asked for lovan, i feel sicker on lovan. Im sure ingredients must be different in each fluxoutine meds. I am truly grateful for your advice, means a lot to so many people here on this forum. Happy healthy 2017 to you and yours 🌷

• Posted

Sorry katecogs it was zactin i was given drr not zantic.
    • Posted

Oooh strange message!!!  Sorry about all the programme jargon .... I only pressed smiley face and 'return'.

• Posted

Hi Carol

Awww thanks xxx 

Re different brands of meds.  A lot of people do seem to be affected by different brands, and though the inactive ingredient can differ (that's the outer shell of the tablet which is just the coating) the inner part (the active ingredient) is the same.  Maybe some people are more sensitive to it?  You can usually tell if the ingredients are the same by the 'PL' number on the outer box - if they match, then they're identical.

Thank you - wishing you a happy 2017 too - a new year / a new dawn xx

• Posted

Ok .... something weird is happening to my posts.  There's appears to be a lot of jargon appearing at the bottom ..... no idea what it is.

• Posted

Yes you totally can have reactions to different generics. My sister ended up in hospital this year from that exact reason! I only stay with the main brand and call my drug store early to order it in if need be. It may be a tad more expensive but have noticed generics no matter what they say seem to mess with me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.