38 days on prozac, feeling worse than ever

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi everyone,

i just need some positive vibes again. I was hoping prozac would be working in some way by now, today i feel like ive got the flu coming, teary, and very low. I did force myself to go out for an hour, spoke to people, browsed the op shops. Trying to feel optimistic and cheery, im pretty sure my hormones are the cause of all the anxiety etc. Basically keep telling myself i will get through this rough patch, the strange feelings and odd symptoms are continuous. Is prozac always so slow to kick in? Any advice for me? I really like the support this forum provides, best wishes to one and all 🌹

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Carol

​I am on day 36 today and you have just described my feelings too. I have forced myself into work this week (my office has actually become a fairly comfortable/safe zone for me. It is all male, and traditionaly we dont take prisoners - so although the guys are fully aware of my issue, they choose to mock it! Strangely it actually makes me laugh, so is having a positive effect!!!)

​However I dont even remember the journey into work this morning. It takes about 20 mins, and by the time i got here I was shaking like a leaf with anxiety. Im still having major anxiety periods, always the morning into afternoon, and always the same trigger.

​Its really frustrating as Id honestly and genuinely thought Id turned a corner last week. The horrible secondary side effects have all but gone, or at least they are at a managable level now. Katecogs gave me some advice and that was great. Ive managed to keep relatively calm and just keep pushing through. I dont even feel depressed anymore if im honest, been over a week now since my last tearful panic! Its just this damn anxiety. I just cant seem to shake this off, and if Im honest, it seems to be getting worse. Im praying its just the meds doing their thing and it will eventually pass. Katecogs also advised week 5 is still early, so I am going to hang in there. I still have most of a box of diazipam the doc gave me about 4 weeks ago, when he upped me to 40mg of fluoxetine after a particularly bad first week on 20mg - and on occasion Ive seen me having to take half a tab just to calm down. However, Ive needed a full tab (split into two, half in the morning and half in the afternoon) the past two days. I dont like where this is going if im honest! Im constantly trying to fight it, to the point I end up with a banging headache come the evening - then the anxiety seems to at last fade away. Im for the most part now having a good night sleep, getting a full 6-8 hours now, and then wake up fairly steady and calm. Then I start climbing again before im even out the shower.....

​I notice you posted this about a month ago, so your a bit further down the line than me. Hoping you get this as Id love to see how things are panning out for you?

​Like yourself, just looking for some positive vibes..

• Posted

Hello lord cauldarse,

mm funny name are you in Scotland? cauld in scots means cold so i just figured you must be!

sorry you have been going through all this, like me ive never felt so horrible with anxiety. I have a couple of health worries which isnt helping, yes im further in with prozac and really hoping to see improvement soon.

i had my dose upped three and a half weeks ago, after first extra dose i felt anxiety was less. Ive managed to cut down taking valium, i was only taking quarter a tab in any one day.

since increasing ive had more nausea, i dont like dry retching in the mornings!

its good that you are at work, and workmates can make you laugh a little. I wonder if instead of fighting the anxiety you try to float with it, accept it. Say yes ok i have anxiety at this moment in my life, its ok i am ok with it. Just let it be there, so what, i can live with it. It wont be forever.

im sure recovery is a stop start motion with this med, Katecogs has some very good advice, she has been down this road. Her comments have been very valuable to me.

now at this moment in Australia 11am its about 33 degs outside, slowly creeping upwards expect heat wave to continue, im not walking today.  I enjoy a short walk down the road, look at the bush, hear the Kookaburras laugh at me. Listen to the parrots chattering, i do try to be positive each day. 

I find i feel more depressed staying at home my mind overthinks, i used to write Scottish poetry, usually about battles or castles, historical events. I will rewrite and tidy up my files, i keep saying i will but i dont do it. Im just waiting for the day the light bulb comes back on. Patience is key, i want to be how i was NOW not next month"......

i still shake in the night, i still have butterflies all day every day, muscle twitching, come night time i feel a bit more normal, more able to feel confident im getting better, then next morning i struggle.

do you watch you yube clips for meditation, soothing nature sounds, water sounds? Can you fall asleep okay?

Eating small meals often, less coffee, less sugar, boring but may help with the healing process. Speaking of that i better go eat".......no enthusiasim for food.

lets take this one day at a time do your best everyday, we will get there!

best wishes, keep out of the cauld!

🐨

• Posted

Hello Lord Cauldarse,

how have you been feeling recently? I hope you are having better days now? Katecogs always has great advice and info, i look back and read her posts for inspiration.

ive cut right back on benzo, the shaking in the night seems to be much less since then. I had dentist visits to cope with, i hate it and did need valium to calm me down.

its great that you are able to go to work and interact with workmates, its important to try to keep on pushing every day. I dont work anymore, just voluntary work, ive worked there a long while and like meeting people.

going to shops and meeting gfs for coffee and chat helps me look forward to an outing.

Remember to look forward always, each day brings us closer to feeling good again. Little steps,giant leaps forward!

🐨

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.