3D imaging. Future of hip surgery?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have heard, albeit anecdotally, that some hospitals are using 3D imaging and robots (directed by surgeons I hope!) to “custom fit” new implants and reduce dislocation risk.  Is this true or just science fiction?  I’m hoping for any new techniques to reduce dislocation risk after revision surgery.  I’m not very mobile so high risk.  Any info?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

3D imaging sounds great. Not sure about robots, but it's always possible in the FUTURE. Even with new techniques, especially important how someone handles their own recovery, being aware of limitations for the beginning, if necessary.

• Posted

Apparently my replacement hip was produced by 3D technology in Switzerland (I'm in the UK). It was fitted by a surgeon though.

• Posted

I think the beam is guided by surgeon so doubt Robbie the robot is involved!  I’m in Scotland and use a wheelchair so weak muscles.  Putting off revision as long as I can in the hope of improving technology making op. easier in future.
  • Posted

I'm not sure I'd trust a robot any more than my original surgeon cry

As for dislocation, the best prevention is to build muscle strength, walking, cycling and going to the gym (under the watchful gaze of a personal trainer) are my preferred options.  I didn't get a dislocation even when I had no bits of the ceramic bearing left in my replacement hip.

• Posted

sure I read and responded to your post when your hip shattered.  Glad you’re  up and about.  My use of wheelchair makes exercise and strong muscles pretty difficult so I’m always hoping someone somewhere on this site knows something about progress in revision surgery to reduce dislocation risk.  Maybe in the next few years....
    • Posted

Having to use a wheelchair must make it impossible to exercise the leg muscles, I really don't know what the answer is then, maybe a hip brace.  I have seen one chap in hospital with one, but it was pretty bulky to walk around with.

• Posted

That’s why I’m scared.  The half hip replacement i have is okay at the moment but I’ve been told by the surgeon that the less I use it the longer it will last.  I don’t understand that as everything I’ve read on this forum seems to suggest the firmer you can keep the muscle, the better it keeps the stem in place.  Surely that means the less damage it will do to the cartilage in my socket.  I do lots of muscle clenching exercises in the chair and squatting to try and keep muscle as firm as I can.  Not as good as walking but I do A LOT of those exercises. 
  • Posted

I know that CT - 3D is being used to set everything up for surgery in advance which I think is a brilliant idea. I think the software may be expensive, but it does mean that surgeons can make certain they have correctly fitting hips in advance and that they will not need so much equipment as they will be more aware of what is needed. They can possibly do more complicated surgery as well. 
  • Posted

I have read many articles on 3-D printers used to make custom joint implants.

• Posted

Really hoping that this will reduce dislocation risk for disabled people like me. Thanks for the response.
  • Posted

It's true...I received it with my new hip.  Welcome to the age of the Jetsons

• Posted

Did it mean your operation was quicker? Easier to recover from? Will it mean your hip will last longer?  Or is it just better for surgeon?
  • Posted

check out some of the vendors of the bionic hips. they have videos of how the robot works with the surgeon.  the surgeon stays in control, and the robot give tactile feedback.  very interesting 
    • Posted

Seriously!?  I believed the bit about 3D imaging but thought the mention of robots was nonsense.  Let’s just hope it translates into better fitting implants and fewer people like me posting needing to about their problems on this site.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.