3weeks post surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

So it has been 3 weeks now since I had my bowel resection. Everything is going ok I think? I had no bowel movement after surgery for 11 days which caused me concern, however all was ok when it finally did happen. I have introduced a couple of foods that there was no way I could of tolerated before but I seem to be ok with them ( I think) some days I feel I want to eat and others I don't have an appetite at all. Feeling bloated still and occasionally getting a stitch like pain under the right rib cage in the last few days? Also when I have a bowel movement now it has an awful odour which started to happen two days ago, I had awful pain and an urgency to get to the loo once I had been a couple of times this pain passed but kind of took my breath away! I guess I am just wanting your experiences after your surgery? Thankyou

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So pleased to see you back and okish!

The pains are hopefully normal.it took a while to settle here.

And the poop....i thought i had cdiff. Acidic sulphur...its the bile salts not being absored they also cause the urgency.

Foods...ive experimented, some ok one day not the next.

Check.in with gp if your worried obviously.

I hope it wasnt to awful for you . its early days, things get better each day. Xxx

• Posted

Hi Alfielefoo, so glad to hear from you!

Yes I was a little concerned as it felt like I had an infection, but not too bad now except for smell!

Things are going well, it's just knowing what to try and when as I was given no advice when I left the hospital? How long did you wait to have a bath? I have been told 4 weeks! After the op I was uncomfortable obviously but what I found awful was not being able to take a good breath! It was so tight around diaphragm area! They tried to do laparoscopy but due to strictures they had to convert to open.

Anyhow improving every day...

How are you? Hope you are doing good. Xx

• Posted

I waited weeks for a bath for those exact reasons! I was having water in bottom of the , then other half as a slave to shower me.

Sorry they had to open you up. What did the take in the end? The wound shrinks right down after a while too which is good.

I had no advice either, im thinking it was around 8 weeks before i tried veg. The appetite thing does settle, now i want to eat everything.

Theres no rush with food. Take your time. Ive still not tried brown bread digestive of shreddies...not that brave !

3 week i think i was still eating bland things.

I read on web no lifting or hoovering for 6 weeks, and first few things i did hurt aka trying to empty a bin.

I dont envy you in the heat recovering !

The random stabby pains lasted a while, mostly now it behaves itself.

Xxxx

• Posted

I think they took about 12 inches, they took a bit from the large bowel also.

Did you have open surgery? I have a roll of swelling above the belly button and then obviously where the wound is.

One other thing I have noticed is I was catheterised for 2days, after they took it out I was not thinking too much about how many times I was going to the loo but since I came out of hospital I have to remind myself to go and have a wee! It's like I don't get that full feeling? I don't know if that's right or not? I really do appreciate having someone to ask about these things so Thankyou for listening and replying xxx

• Posted

Yep! I thought i had a perforated bladder!!! It settled down when.the swelling went down. I had pains when.i peed for a bit, did you have a drain in? That goes right down near there and i am.sure thats what irritated it. The swelling itself took a while to go now youd not really know.

Shall change my pic to a belly selfie.

The drain site leaked goop for around 3 weeks and on reflectiin i think was infected.

Could always put in a call to the nurse about the bladder just to make sure? Have you got a follow up yet?

• Posted

Sorry i forgot to say the roll and the left side of the wound i thought would never go back, it was march before they did (oct op) and only now they look ok.

• Posted

Hi, I didn't have a drain and everything is working ok it's just there's no sensation like before.

I shall phone the nurse and ask.

How long did it take for your your swelling to go down?

Well I have got an appt for 1st sept, which I thought was a bit far away 4 months after op? X

• Posted

Hi, I didn't have a drain either. I also had a resection of my sigmoid colon as well as the terminal ileum. To be honest I made great recovery first few weeks, but then for the next month my recovery plateaued. According to a CT I still had inflammation 6 weeks after the Op. I was told it takes time, and it really does. My right side still gets sore, I need to get on to them about getting me in maintenance treatment. I had the surgery mid Feb this year. I went back to work last week.

• Posted

I am doing ok at the moment (I think) for me at this stage its knowing what is right and what I should be concerned about.

The more foods I reintroduce the more nervous I get and also I now have this pressure when going to the loo? I don't really have diarrohea so I thought that might be the reason? I was having b12 injections before, do we still need to get them do you know?

How is your inflammation now? Are you still taking azathioprine or meds you were on before the op?

I was told to take the same medication.

• Posted

I have just finished antibiotics and I'm not on anything else. I'm waiting to go on ustekinumab. I've never been without meds before and can feel discomfort in the right side. I'm assuming there is still inflammation, my appointment is on the 22/6. I'm not sure whether to wait till then to contact doc. I know some people go drug free for awhile after Op. You this disease treats everyone differently.

• Posted

Also, I've never needed B12 but did have a iron infusion

• Posted

I guess it depends on how you feel but I know if I was getting the soreness I used to get from inflammation I would go to the doctors, I am also taking the antibiotics for three months. I would of thought we should have blood tests to check inflammation markers?
    • Posted

I did at 6weeks, the appointment was booked before the Op. I saw surgeons at 8 weeks. I've also been back to gastro doc, which is when they gave me iron. I think the need me to be free from risk of infection before putting me on immuno-suppressants

• Posted

I have only heard about the one appointment, its odd as when I was in hospital they did say I would see surgeon 6-8 weeks post op but heard nothing yet!
  • Posted

Hi, I had the smell and urgency after the resection. The more I ate the more often I went. Doctor said it was bile malabsorption and put me on colestyramine. It's a powder, I use apple juice and have half the pack before breakfast and the other before dinner.

Speak to your Doctor.

• Posted

Hi hasnaJD, thanks for the reply at least I know it's not just me and things are going normally,

Did you have diarrohea?

• Posted

Hi Kerry,

I was going 7-9 time. The colestyramine has cut it down to 2-3. Speak to your Doctor. All the best for your recovery. Don't rush your body, it's been through a lot.

• Posted

Thank you, I will mention all my concerns at my next appointment.
    • Posted

Took ages for the swelling to go down, and i mean ages. My appt was 5 months after and yes, it does feel very long.xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.