3weeks post surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

So it has been 3 weeks now since I had my bowel resection. Everything is going ok I think? I had no bowel movement after surgery for 11 days which caused me concern, however all was ok when it finally did happen. I have introduced a couple of foods that there was no way I could of tolerated before but I seem to be ok with them ( I think) some days I feel I want to eat and others I don't have an appetite at all. Feeling bloated still and occasionally getting a stitch like pain under the right rib cage in the last few days? Also when I have a bowel movement now it has an awful odour which started to happen two days ago, I had awful pain and an urgency to get to the loo once I had been a couple of times this pain passed but kind of took my breath away! I guess I am just wanting your experiences after your surgery? Thankyou

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Kerry,

Congrats on successful surgery. It's been 8

weeks since I had my small bowel resectioned- strictures & hernia repair.

I still have the urgency to open my bowel

shortly after eating @ least 6-7x daily and o have had episodes where I soiled myself b4

I could reach the loo. I am on metronidazole for 3 months although i have discussed with my consultant that the poo runs seems worse pn it. He suggested stop it for 1/2 weeks to see if any change in Bm- bowel movement. I must confess, o have not had medicine 4 about 5 days and output is about 2-3 daily. Worth speaking tp ur surgoen via his secretary or the enhanced recovery nurse if u have one.

In terms of food my appetite has retuned ang and grateful that I can now enjoy food and not suffer pain afterwards.

I am back on my biological drug- 2 weekly.

I have seen my surgeon after 8 weeks, although originally appt shld be in July ( Op was beginning April).. call secretary for an earlier appt if possoble.

I am returning to normal and contemplating returning to work within thw healthcare in a few weeks, as i fell am better.

Regarging urine, go to ur Gp to test ur urine sample ? Infection. I did not experience such. I still have small swelling just above the umbilical but its smaller in comparison to 7 wks ago.

All the best and get well soon.

Me petite

• Posted

Hi me petit,

Thank you for your reply.

I think I have been lucky to not have diarrohea, up to 4/5 toilet visits a day but all quite normal.

How long is it since your operation?

I will speak to my g.p when I go in a couple of weeks about urine.

• Posted

Hi Kerry.

It's exactly 8 weeks ago op was done. I had a review with ky surgeon around the 8 wk mark.

My stool is becoming formed since I temporarily stopped Metronidazole.

All the best with ur recovery.

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your reply i hope your recovery continues to do well also. Kerry

• Posted

Hi

Everything is going really well thankyou, eating everything I couldn't eat for 15 years, it feels amazing! I am still wary and funnily enough peel apples and take skins off plums but I think I would be ok digestion wise it's just something I can't move on from yet! Eating an apple and plum is great in itself! I still can't quite believe it although it worries me how long it will last?

Still feel bloated slightly and swollen slightly on one side of the wound but all minor niggles...

How are you? Lovely to hear from you hope you are doing well.xx

• Posted

That is excellent news!!!!

The swelling seems to go down slowly for ages. No idea why!

Im.so.pleased youre feeling good and eating things.

Digestive biccis are now back on my agenda!

The niggles also seems to last. I think ive pulled something this week.but had the usual flap of panic. Doesnt hurt if i lay flat so pretty sure its muscle type.Xxxxgreat to see youre feeling good. Xxxxxxx

• Posted

Thanks Alfielefoo for checking up.

I am doing grt. Back @ work for 1 week. I am now my family's food bin. Always eating. Hey who can blame me; nothing I ate in the past was without agony/fear and lack of appetite.

Overall am okay. Just sonetimes need being reminded to take things easy as am always on the go.

How are u doing?

• Posted

Excellent news!!!! Yes! Its hardto remember not to be super women....its like making up for lost time and energy!

I am pleased to hear you and kerry are both well.

Xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.