4 1/2 weeks on 5mg valium

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well actually, i was given valium while traveling abroad for severe panic attacks and i continued taking the 10mg prescribed for 3 weeks. I then dropped down to 5mg and have been on this dose for a week and a half. I am unsure if I should bother tapering anymore. I can go a day or two without any severe symptoms just feeling a bit off. I realize that the long half life allows for this so i do not take the lack of symptoms as a sign of being in the clear. Any advice? Should i taper down again to 2.5mg? or just stop once and for all. I am in school right now so my fear is feeling too sick to go to class and do my work. Any advice/guidance would be appreciated.

Gabriel

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Also, i should mention that maybe a few months ago i was on .5-1mg of xanax for panic attacks for a little over 3 weeks. the withdrawal only lasted 2-3 days then it started to clear. Valium's half-life is different tho which is why I'm concerned.

• Posted

Hi Gabriel it sounds as though you should be ok l know everyone is different drop down and sit for a week and see how it goes.If you feel any withdrawal sit longer you will know yourself how you feel.
  • Posted

Taper slowly, Gabriel.

Despite the long half-life, you still need to taper down gradually so that you don't get rebound symptoms etc.

• Posted

Always taper, this just avoids any potential side effects that could happen.

Drop it to 2.5 for a week then every other day for a week. Then if you need every 3 days over a week then just stop.

You'll have a few tuff days for sure but thats just part of the parcel with these tablets. Try and take it easy if you can, do exercise and east healthy. If you do feel bad just remember it isn't forever and it will pass.

Hope you fix the underlying problem thats causing the panic attacks. Are you doing something to tackle that other than taking tablets? You don't need to explain why you have them but it would be good to know you're working on it from another angle. 

Good Luck smile

• Posted

Thanks for the advice jimbo82,

I do exercise 2-3 times a week and try to eat healthy. Im a recovering heroin addict and take gabapentin along with b-complex daily for anxiety. That usually helps with my general anxiety but when these attacks hit they hit hard and during this trip I couldn't leave my room for a few days. I do not want to become dependent on these tablets which is why i want to stop them and am asking for advice. I go to counseling and we're trying to figure out the underlying cause, but as of now I don't know what is causing them. 

• Posted

No worries, 

Sounds like you're on the right track then, things can only get better for you from here if you keep that in place.

Congrats on giving up the addiction thats massive 

These tablets are a double edged sword as you know already I'm sure, they fix the problem in the moment but then can leave you in a right mess after a period of taking them. I just managed to break my own withdraw for the second time from being stuck on them for a few years, it wan't pretty. I came to realize any benefit from them is totally outweighed with the negative withdraw process. Saying that I keep a very low dose 2mg in my wallet should I really need it! 

What I realized for myself in the end that 2mg was just enough to take of the edge and then any rebound is small.

I realized that I was taking way too much before! Just an option but maybe you could just try the 2 MG tablets as a crutch rather than the 10MG. Obviously bounce the idea off your doctor next time you see him and i'm not a professional.  I know traveling is very difficult when you suffer from Panic attacks. 

Oh and I also quite booze a month ago and that is helping loads with everything, I would defo recommend that if you've not tried already. 

If you get stuck you know where to find us 

• Posted

Taper slowly!    Continue on 5 till you are adjusted,  you will know when the cut down by half.  If you taper down too quickly you ll go back up to 10
  • Posted

When I cut down to 5 I felt it a few days later, but it wasn't bad. If anything I felt like the 10mg had been getting me high. The 5mg was perfect. I'm stable on the 5 so I was thinking about just stopping 

• Posted

'Tread gently all those who enter here....'

Please reconsider this, Gabriel.......you could end up with horrible withdrawal symptoms.

Those of us on this site who have experience of detoxing from benzos and zs know that it is a challenge and a difficult process.

• Posted

Ok. What i meant is that I'm stable on 5mg now so i can drop again. I think i'll do 2.5mg every other day for a week

• Posted

I'm on my 3rd day off. I'm at school and will be here for another 7 hours. I don't feel too bad. Depersonalized, blurry vision, some stomach bloating. I take gabapentin for anxiety so that is helping. I'm having a very hard time concentrating. I feel like i should take some, but i feel guilty

• Posted

Guilty for what?

If you feel you should take some diazepam, go for it Withdrawal symptoms are the main reason why people end up severely addicted.

Seriously, you don't need to beat yourself up about this. You're on the right track, doing your best to get off diazepam. There is no need to feel awful while you're doing it.

• Posted

Im a recovering heroin addict and am terrified of getting addicted to something else. But you're right, thank you

• Posted

My partner is a recovering alcoholic who struggled to get off zopiclone.

Her (excellent) doctor put her on to diazepam and very slowly reduced the dose so that she didn't feel and withdrawal symptoms. I watched as it happened, and I remember the doctor being very clear about keeping my partner feeling well.

It took 14 months to get her off 15mg diazepam - down to zero.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.