4 1/2 weeks on 5mg valium

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well actually, i was given valium while traveling abroad for severe panic attacks and i continued taking the 10mg prescribed for 3 weeks. I then dropped down to 5mg and have been on this dose for a week and a half. I am unsure if I should bother tapering anymore. I can go a day or two without any severe symptoms just feeling a bit off. I realize that the long half life allows for this so i do not take the lack of symptoms as a sign of being in the clear. Any advice? Should i taper down again to 2.5mg? or just stop once and for all. I am in school right now so my fear is feeling too sick to go to class and do my work. Any advice/guidance would be appreciated.

Gabriel

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Gabriel why are you dropping so much.Drop 1mg and sit on it for 2 or 3 weeks until you settle down.There is no rush as long as you get yourself off them.
  • Posted

How are things going, Gabriel?
    • Posted

I am on day 5 no valium. The use continued for another 3 weeks but with spacing in between. 3 times a week. So far i have no real withdrawal. Other than increased agitation and a bit of disorientation. I do not think that i am out of the woods just yet, but its promising so far. I was already on gabapentin before the valium so the risk of seizures is covered even though my kaiser psychiatrist said that i haven't been on valium long enough for it to be a real concern. The gabapentin and doxepin (for sleep) has helped a lot. I think the root of my anxiety is lack of restful sleep. I haven't had good sleep in years so being able to sleep (not a drugged kind) has made things better. 

• Posted

i've been able to continue going to school. Working out. Eating. I can feel the valium leaving but like i said, there hasn't been any real withdrawal yet. doubling my dose of gabapentin (300 3x to 600 3x)during this withdrawal period and the doxepin have helped a lot. I can deal with they psychological aspects of withdrawal. The physical is what kills me. Hopefully they don't come but we'll see.

Also, i never took more than 5mg and on a few days i dropped it down to around 3-4mgs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.