4 months after Ankle surgery and still can’t walk

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi

I Broke my right ankle that required surgery plates and screws 4 months ago and although im out of casts or crutches i still cant walk without hobbling or covering a distance . I am a post Lady so have no chance of going back to work . Im totally shocked how this has changed my life . I m wondering if i will ever be back to normal being able to walk my dog and horse again . Any advice would be gratefully received .

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I so feel your pain! i am a year post fusion and bone graft March 2018 one screw was loose and was removed in May 2018 now another screw has broken and is being removed Thursday this week. Every step hurts. I chew pain killers. I am less debilitated as I can get around but limp, somedays i need a stick, but it always hurts. i get depressed and angry sometimes. it is getting easier but i did not expect this.. just keeping in touch and sharing is the best thing. if this op doesn't ease pain I will get a second opinion. Have you thought of second opinion. lots of love to you

• Posted

sorry to hear your challenges but as you say i can totally understand you feeling angry and depressed its so hard to just accept it because it puts so much of your life on hold . really hope your op improves things i will talk to Consultant this week . hugs to you .

• Edited

Hello Debbie

You do not say why you have problems walking so it's difficult to offer advice. Recovery from this kind of fracture and operation takes time so you need to be patient. Physio? Exercises to stretch.and strenghten muscles?

Speed of recovery varies. Have you discussed your recovery so far with your doctors?

I had a very similar fracture and operation almost a year ago and apart from some swelling and discomfort in the evening after a lot of walking I am fine.

• Posted

Hi Anna im doing all the exercises given to me and am booked for Physio

next week . i dont have any problem weight bearing but around the ankle is so stiff and painful when walking i thought it would have improved after a month of doing exercises . At what stage time wise did it all start to feel better for you .

• Posted

good to know there is hope im at three months out and swelling and pain makes working impossible

• Edited

I am 14 months post op ORIF ankle after a dislocation and traumatic fracture. Plate on outside and screws on inside. Had the screws removed 8 months after initial surgery due to nerve pain and numbness. I really thought things would improve after that but I was wrong. I work as a nurse doing 12 hr shifts and after 14 months my ankle still swells and hurts like crazy after working. I can certainly understand your concern. I am starting to wonder if mine will ever stop hurting. Maybe the ankle takes longer because it supports body weight? I pray this doesn't turn out to be a career ender. Doc says to be patient, it will take time. Very frustrating for sure.

• Edited

hello debbi, everyone's ankle recovery is different depending on age, what type of injury and how well your body recovers... the best thing is physical therapy and excercise. i want to encourage you to stay positive because it will get better if you put forth the work. the first 6 mths are the toughest becsuse hou learning how to walk and put pressure back on ankle i broke my know july 21th 2017 3 places. 2 plates and 7 screws. i understand how you feel. i'm back running and lifting weights everyday with any pain at all but i put the time in ..PRAYER IS THE BEST PART OF ALL

• Posted

Hi Ken

good to hear your success story and many thanks for your words of encouragement i will do my best to stay positive and maybe take up praying .

• Edited

Just takes time, I'm almost at a year. Still hurts, stiff, swells a bit, but this is a much better place than 4 months out. I figure in a year from now, it will feel even better. Patience, hang in there! ps: I wrap my ankle just in an ace bandage when I'm home, the support of it makes it feel 100x's better - I can really get moving.

• Edited

Hi Kim

I think ive found it difficult because i had no idea it could really take this amount of time and have read people being fully fit and back to normal life after 3/4 months .Although i am most certainly in a better place than i was and am so grateful i can drive and move around so i not so confined to my home , however the 3 main things in my life that being my job , walking my dog , looking after my horse and being out in nature is still as challenging . Thanks for sharing and i hope your improvement continues

• Edited

Hi, I felt the same way. I would pop on here and read about people running at 2/3 months, lol what?! I really feel like age has lots to do with it, I'm 48, and it just took me awhile, and I was so frustrated to find out I wasn't invincible. I really thought they would take the cast off and I would be buzzing around. After I passed the four month mark is really when I started living a more normal existence, you are definitely on your way. 😃

• Edited

Hi Kim

im 54 so i do get the age thing lol . Thankyou for your encouragement it really helps keep things positive

• Edited

Hi Debbie! I had ORIF surgery on October 31 for my left fibula (plate and 7 screws). I was cleared to participate in sports January 1st. I think by pushing myself to do what I felt capable of as I did greatly increased my ability. I was not offered PT or anything like that. I would recommend gently stretching out your ankle (ankle circles). As I was healing, I did a lot of calf raises in the shower. I have been able to be athletic and wear heels for more than 2 months now. But everyone's healing is definitely different!

• Edited

hey

youve done extremely well i wish my recovery was as smooth but like you said everyone heals differently im really surprised mine is taking so long because im a very active person love walking and being outdoors . ive been doing all kinds of ankle exercises so just hoping i greatly improve my abilities soon .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.