4 months after Ankle surgery and still can’t walk

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi

I Broke my right ankle that required surgery plates and screws 4 months ago and although im out of casts or crutches i still cant walk without hobbling or covering a distance . I am a post Lady so have no chance of going back to work . Im totally shocked how this has changed my life . I m wondering if i will ever be back to normal being able to walk my dog and horse again . Any advice would be gratefully received .

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi Debbie this is Beatrice. I had a bimolleur fracture of my right ankle with a plate and 8 screws back in Feb. 2018. at the time the doc told me I would be able to walk by the time I was going back to work in April 2018. Long story short, that didn't happen because I worked with children and there was no "light duty" at my job. Is there something else you can do at your job? Time to research that angle. So I missed the rest of the school year. I went back to work that September but my walking was slow, hesitant and I rocked from side to side lol. Had PT for about 3 months-extremely helpful. Try to get in some daily stretching and strengthen exercises. It will get better I promise. Keep moving and keep praying 👼🏽

• Edited

Hi

No Royal Mail can not give me light duties my contract is a walking postie doing 7 miles daily so i have to be at least 80 percent fit before they will let me back . I am doing lots of different exercises and have been from the very start . I can only keep hoping and praying i will actually get my life back .

Thankyou .

• Posted

Hi I feel your pain i had surgery in february for dislocated ankle with trimalleolar fracture spiral fracture of the fibula and vertical and horizontal fractures of the tibia which resulted in a 9in plate a 6 in plate and 15 screws. Im an oral and facial surgical assistant my surgeon telling me i should be pretty much be walking with a cane by now in a sneaker at least 8 hrs a day..... I can only get about 65% of my weight with a boot and both crutches the swelling and pain is atrocious and the doctor sais i dont need any pain meds its depressing and angering sitting here worrying about losing my job and not being on target... I keep researching other peoples healing stories and its worrying me im being a baby and not pushing myself enough

• Posted

Hi

please dont feel your not pushing yourself enough yours is very early on in the healing process . Im six months on and there is so much more improvement than when i was only 3 months in so dont beat yourself up this injury can take over 12 months to completely heal . I feel all the emotions you feel as do many others in our situation so your not alone . Good luck .

• Posted

Hi Im 5 months post ORIF, SHATTERED ankle. I feel your frustration!! Im still limping and cant work yet. There is no light duties at my job either, Im a paramedic and we do 12 hour shifts, I cant get through the day without pain.

Have you tried going to the pool yet? That really helps with range of motion and feels good, Im going 2-3 times a week and physio exercises daily. Up to 2.5 limping k walking my dog. No matter what i do there is pain, some days worse than others.

Im 45 yr old woman who was in great shape before i fell 7 FT out of a tree.

Friends and family dont understand what we are all going through, its very lonely.

GOOD LUCK!!!

• Posted

Hi

Thanku for your reply yes im swimming and cycling and things have improved which im very grateful for . There is still no speed to my walking and still have swelling and pain . my work have paid for private physio and that has really helped she is saying my joint is blocked and cannot be sure it will ever get back to the amount of walking i would need to do as a post lady so its looking pretty likely i will have to look for another job and at 55 fills me with dread lol . Sorry to hear you are struggling as well wishing you improvement soon .

• Edited

Hi,

I'm 3 months after right ankle surgery. I feel your pain truly. I broke my ankle in 4 different places + dislocation + severed ligament. I have 1 plate + 11 screws +2 buttons which has a suture string running between the 2 buttons holding ligament in place on bone. ( Not sure if I said that the right way but that's how I was told) I either can't walk without support of crutches I'm 40. At 2 weeks after surgery dr. took the splint off + staples removed and I was placed in a walking boot NWB for 1 month, went back to Dr. had xray I still had 1 bone that hadn't fused back together yet, Dr. said he's never seen a bone not fuse back so Hopefully when I go back in that bone will be fused 🤔 and gave me a ankle brace and wants PT to help me get from walking boot into ankle brace with shoe then come back in 1 month, (which is in 1 week from now) Im worried in 1 week I'll hobble into the Dr. again and I'm still not able to walk on my own and Dr. will think I'm not trying cause I am very much Here! He is an old school Dr. (No pain no gain is what he says) and doesn't listen very good lol My pt lady says I have alot of scar tissue in my foot not allowing me to walk normal. My ankle is still numb 24/7 and nerves are still very much alive and healing, Sometimes feel like shock sensations in ankle & very tender to touch. In the ankle brace & shoe with crutches I walk real slow and it feels very odd. It seems like there is no end but I try to keep a positive attitude about the situation.

• Posted

one thing on ankle / foot tender to touch, my consultant told me that was nerve damage and to massage it. i have started to do that gently multiple times a day and it is improving

• Posted

so sorry. i do agree, i am shocked by the pain and the exhaustion. however, i would say ice and raising my leg are my best friends, and early early nights as I am not sleeping well.

in the day though, it is way better since I started walking every day and yesterday I walked for 40 mins with a break in between, and just one crutch, with very little pain.

so i would say perservere. the exercises are a little tough, but I feel a little like a tin man and once i have mobilised , i am walking pretty much pain free, but i need to pace myself aswell, otherwise that can change or i pay later

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.