4 months on 15mg mirt bad tremors and dizziness.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi has anyone had bad tremors even in head dizziness nausea and pins and needles neck pain to name but a few. Can anyone relate. Been on 15mg mirt 4months and feel absolutely dreadful Doc wont change tabs as iv tried every one practically over the last 17 years. Given mirt as last resort. Its difficult to know if my symptoms are anxiety plus i have a long term illness and am virtually bedridden , Would just like to hear from anyone who may know if the mirt can cause all these horrible symptoms just cant function at all feel so ill all the time and very down.

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I can relate but I have a difficult infectious disease which is mostly responsible for my pains and also is the cause of anxiety/depression, I'm on a treatment at the moment. What is your ilness? Could it be helped?
  • Posted

I had some bad symptoms with mirt.it made me feel on edge I couldnt concentrate.I was always feeling dizzy chest pains and got very panicky.but I also suffer with bad panic attacks. its a vicious circle.surely your doc can find something that suits you.I hope you get it sorted take care god bless
  • Posted

re tremors, whas it while dozing or sleeping, felt like your chest was vibrating but you felt aware of it but not panicked by it just sort of coming out or going into sleep mode,

?

• Posted

Just reading you're post, Stephen, 

and thought that is exactly how it makes me feel I thought I was 

going  mad, telling the doctor that I feel as if my chest is vibrating, 

especialy when walking....I'm ok sitting down... But also get it at night 

it wakes me  up.. It's a horrible feeling ,, I also suffer from atrial fibrillation

And I pretty sure it sets that of also.

i am seeing my GP next week, and didn't  know how to explain how Mirt was making me feel, 

now I won't feel so silly, telling him about my chest.. Plus it is also painful.. In my sturnum .. 

• Posted

hi

ive been taking this for 12 years and suffered the same with vibrations, i also had if i ate sharp crispy food blood blisters on the roof of my mouth,

i told the doctor about my vibrations, she said its the drug, in the instructions is states patients can have out of body experiences, thats a little off putting as it makes us sound balmy, but even though i was vibrating i didnt panic, it didnt seem like i needed to jump up and phone and ambulance, it went as it came slowly and didnt affect my heart rate or blood pressure, i can remember thinking oh its this agiain i wonder what it is , i never even tried to get up or move, it was wierd, 

im sure that this is a side effect to the drug and you should inform your gp, 

mirt is a good drug it softens the highs and decreases the lows, but like any drug its there to support you while you mend, 

you mention arterail fibulation, my experience of vibrations were like that but from the top of my legs to my neck and 10 times more vibration,

i hope this helps and please inform your doctor, i was on 45mg and only had 3 or 4 episodes , now after 2 months im on only 8mg and supprisingly well and happy without it, 

stephen 

• Posted

Hi Stephen, it's funny but a week ago I ate a chocolate and I had a big blood blister on the roof of my mouth. I'm on 15mg of Mirt at the moment but I'm comeing off it. Have you had that happen very often ?
    • Posted

Hi Steven I have just come off 3.5 mg of mirtazapine as I was having inner trembling and energy rush, tingling while sleeping which would wake me up from about 3 am till morning, I have been off mirtazapine for 5 days now and this is still happening. Does this sound like what you had was not sure if it was the mirtazapine or not.
  • Posted

Hi Carole, I would of thought if you've been on Mirt for 4mths it should have got into your system by now,and if it suited you I wouldn't have thought you should still have side affects. Like 1980 says what is your debilitating illness.  Also have you been back to your GP to tell him, because if there still side affects maybe you shouldn't be on them.  Take Care and keep us in touch.
  • Posted

Hi Carole ,

sorry to hear you are going through this.. It must be awful.. 

I have to say, I have only been in Mirt for 2 weeks now..

but have plenty of side effects.. Dizziness is one of them,i

i take 15,mg also, but I've heard it is those sedative of all the doses

seems strange that you get panic attacks whilst on this med 

what illness do you have if you don't mind my asking,, perhaps 

youre meds for that and Mirt,  do not go together well..

try to stay positive, even changing you're GP if necessary 

rolleyes

• Posted

Thanks for all your replies. May i say i dont have panic attacks its more like a constant tremor and inner vibrating . Pins and needles are also constant from my face to my toes. I have a long term neurological illness and due tome having very little quality of life i became severely depressed  and anxious. I feel the years of anti ds have somehow damaged me. I also suffer migraines with aura and am coeliacs. But never in the 17 years of my illness have i felt so bad. Its like i am permanently plugged into an electric socket if that makes sense. I am at a loss as of what to do. Because i cant get to docs or hospital apps i am just left to suffer really. My g p visits now and again and just tells me to increase the dose to 30mg. I am afraid to as the 15mg make me feel so ill i fear the 30mg will be worse a double whammy.I do try to stay positive but after years of Docs scratching their heads at my list of symptoms its hard. I just thought maybe someone on here has the same symptoms as me and can advise me.
    • Posted

Forgot to say i am only on the mirt no other medications.
    • Posted

The vibrating is definitely the Mirt. My neuro doctor confirmed and even joked that I won't be missing feeling like pluged to the mains when I tried to come off it once. You just need to make a decision if it's worse with or without it. I'm still on 7.5mg and vibrating. Take care if you decide to come off it and try to do it very slowly if you decide to do it. Are you sure your ilness can't be helped as I was told I have MS symptoms, potentialy Lupus and Arthritis and what it really was it's Lyme and Coinfections. You need a good doctor to see beyond the common autoimmune diseases but it's well worth the search and treatment couldn't be more different. As it's boosting the immune system rather than suppressing it! Good luck Carol!
    • Posted

wowsers! I am on my 2nd week, just incresed to 30mg from 15mg. I have anxiety and insomnia and bouts of depression. So far I am okay on the Mirt* but these symptoms y'all describe are freakin me right out. !

I have not experienced any of the pins n needles or vibrating in my chest , plugged into a socket so to speak .

O.o

thats just scary,

• Posted

As with all these anti ds some people are more sensitive to side effects and adverse reactions. I cannot tolerate the ssris at all. You may be one of the fortunate people who dont get side effects. Thousands of people take them with good results and no problems. So you never hear the good stories. I am one of the unlucky ones who gets side effects from every thing. So dont worry if they suit you great and good luck
  • Posted

Having a real crisis at the moment and I've been really interested in and grateful for other people's experience of mirtazipine. Had a very bad year last year with many family crises that came to a head in late November(although I've had a history of anxiety and depression since I was17 (I'm now 55)) . Had been seeing a counsellor from MIND but I had a virtual 'breakdown' and went to the GP's in a right state and broke down. She rushed me into an initial early appointment with the NHS Mental Health team instead and I had an initial assessment in late November (my next appointment is next week) and I know the Mental Heath nurse wants to get me on to a CBT course with mindfulness training (for which I've been doing some preparatory reading and practise).

Anyway, my GP changed my medication from Seroxat which I tapered off and went on to 15mg of mirtazipine which was later increased to 30mg. Since then stresses have built up (my wife is having to have a knee replacement operation in the next couple of weeks, I have started working full time (up from part time) as an instore demonstrator, I had to go on a residential sales course and my 18 year old son is also suffering from teenage angst/anxiety (and realises my crises haven't done him any good at all).

To cut a long story short despite having tackled and completed some challenges (the residential training course for example and working full time... but my wife's operation has been delayed) I haven't felt any benefits from the mirtazipine yet but it does give me good sleep despite vivid dreams. I still feel very anxious with upsetting obsessional thoughts and find things very difficult and at times desperate. Sometimes my only escape is sleep from these awful feelings of dread. fear and desperation (fears about losing my job, family (who are very supportive) etc. etc.

Went to the GP's this morning and she has upped the mirtazipine to 45mg and says the increased anxiety/depression I'm feeling at the moment may still be due to coming off the Seroxat (plus the other extra stresses in my life). I keep breaking down when I see the GP and until I see the Mental Health nurse for my next appointment she has given me a second week of 2mg diazepam three times a day.

I suppose what I'd be grateful for comments on upping the dose to 45mg. I trust my GP totally and feel at the moment I should increase but worry that the mirtazipine isn't working and may be making me worse... but I can't imagine feeling any worse. Thanks so much for reading this and for any comments you write.

• Posted

Hi Micra, I haven't got much to reply with,because only you know how you feel. I've been on 45mg of Mirt,I personally don't think it made much difference. At the moment I'm tapering off it after being on it for about 5yrs.  They do say the lower the dose the more sedative it is.  You say your on 2mg three times a day of Diazapam, now that's my choice of drug for anxiety. I know they say it's addictive which I don't care about as long as my quality of life is there,but I also think it's easier to tapper off than Mirt.  I wish I could be of more help, but like you Im going through family crisis as well.    I hope I've been of a bit of comfort. Big Hug take Care
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your kind words and hugs to you to norma72045... and yes you have been alo of comfort. I think my GP has chased things up with the Mental Health Services because I have just had a phone call from my mental health nurse who I'm seeing next week anyway. .. but she has been so concerned and has told me that I am in line to have CBT/therapy/counselling sessions with a therapist who has done so much to help me in the past. To say I'm chuffed is an understatement, because if anyone can help in me turning myself around he certainly can!

I wonder if any of you on this forum have had any experiences of CBT and mindfulness. I know you have to persevere with it but so far I have enjoyed some of the body scan mediations that come with 'Mindfulness for Dummies'.

I hope that carole66603 doesn't think I have hijacked her thread and I apologise if I have. To answer your question with my experience Carole I have been taking Mirt for 2 months (15mg for a month and then 30mg), The GP has now presecribed 45mg today. Things are complicated because I have had a bit of a perfect storm recently with stress and I have also come off Seroxat. My experience so far with Mirt is that it knocks me out on a night but with vivid dreams. I am yet to see an improvement anxiety/depression wise and I do feel as though I'm "only half here" and spaced out at times. It may be early days but I'm a bit concerned going up to 45mg. However apart from the vivid dreams I have not had any other side effects apart from it hasn't reduced my anxiety and depression symptoms (infact they've ncreased). But like you I don't know whether his is the mirt or that perfect storm of stress. Big Hugs x

• Posted

Hi micra95 no i dont feel you have hijacked my thread.ha ha , the more the better, i appreciate hearing of anyones experiences with this drug. Big hugs to you too. Carolexx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.