4 weeks left leg full tkr

Posted , 14 users are following.

it's been 4 weeks since operation .went to physio today and from a 90 degree movement it's down to 56 .can't bend my leg properly .whilst sitting in waiting room couple of ladies said that I should be able to bend it by now .as they had friends who were on their feet in no time and back to normal .I feel like a failure .I've done the things asked by pt.wont deny I was ill a little while so I did miss some excersize.but it hurts like he'll when .I try to pull it back .Any one give some advice please

2 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Everyone is different and heals at their own pace. I have had a tkr in each leg and they were not the same at all. Don't listen to those folks telling you that you should be farther along. Trust your pt and ask lots of questions. It will hurt like hell, I just told myself no pain no gain and just tried to think of a happy time, my pt told me to think of the pain as leaving your body. Ice a lot, don't give up, cry when you need to and yell if it gives you strength. By the way, what is normal?? You can do this, hang in there.

• Posted

First, stop listening to idiots like that!!!!!

Second, you're only four weeks, post-op!!!  This takes a year and everyone goes through it differently.  Just keep at it and you'll be fine.

Next time someone says "You should...", club them with your cane!!!

• Posted

Sure it hurts but if you take your meds before the exercises then it may be tolerable. First and foremost we gotta move the knee. No one can tell you where you should be. But you need to be doing sliding and exercising and be doing them regularly. All the necessary recovery takes time. One day you will feel much better. x
  • Posted

If I had a dollar for every time I heard "my friend was this or you should be that-aarggh!!!. Take no notice-this is your recovery. You will have noticed by now, there are good days and then there are BAD days. At four weeks there are still more bad days than good-on these days the swelling is telling you to back off and no matter how much you bully-the knee will win. You may well find on a good day your bend will be at ninety, but when the swelling takes over  there is no way you will get the bend you may have had the day (or week) before. Just know, if you are doing the exercises (gently, even if the knee is chucking a hissy fit ) you are doing all that is required-only YOU can answer whether that's the case. Yes, we do have to push ourselves.Stay strong and above all- be kind to yourself. Every day is one step closer in the journey and we all know, the tkr road can be an arduous one. Hang in there.

• Posted

The 4 posts above are all 100% EXCELLENT advice! I am 3 weeks post-op & if anyone deigned to tell me such discouraging opinions I, too, would be extremely disheartened! You have experienced major surgery & need kindness & encouragement not some stranger's sanctimonious opinion. Chico Marx--who, in my opinion, offers great advice said it all very succinctly. Everyone's recovery is different; try your best to be patient & kind with your progress. Accepting that there will be setbacks can be difficult--but you will get there! Anyone who says "You should..." and is not a an orthopedic MD is not only unqualified to spout off such nonsense they are arrogant blowhards who aren't worth the powder to blow them to the nether regions!! Erase them from memory. Each new day is a day further in your progress! Work as hard as you can while always, always telling yourself that you will get there. "Keep your face to the sun and the shadows will fall behind you".(Walt Whitman)

• Posted

thank you and I wish you all the best of luck in your progress to .This site and all he kind comments have helped me realize that there is a lot of people in the same boat as myself .And healing not every one is the same .I love the quote below your page .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.