4 weeks left leg full tkr

Posted , 14 users are following.

it's been 4 weeks since operation .went to physio today and from a 90 degree movement it's down to 56 .can't bend my leg properly .whilst sitting in waiting room couple of ladies said that I should be able to bend it by now .as they had friends who were on their feet in no time and back to normal .I feel like a failure .I've done the things asked by pt.wont deny I was ill a little while so I did miss some excersize.but it hurts like he'll when .I try to pull it back .Any one give some advice please

2 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

All the replies are excellent. It is very easy to feel discouraged and down in these early days. Keep doing heel slides in particular and keep pain under control too. Is it swollen? Are you icing and elevating? Getting swelling down as much as possible is vital.

I iced five times a day for around half an hour a time....I moved the ice pack around the kneeevery 20 minutes so that it was not on one area more than 20 minutes. Anti inflammatories are good too,

• Posted

I'm icing all the time . always taken my meds .and thank you for your reply .

• Posted

Glad you found the forum. Ah I see it's the same old story - a friend of a friend. hmm.  As if they know the truth from the person.  I never told a friend how terrible I felt.  Best advice from me - don't listen to these people, they don't know anything!

• Posted

thank you in not going to listen to them .I know I will get there in my own time .
    • Posted

thank you I won't be listening from people like that .I will do it in my own time

• Posted

Awesome!! I've had about 30 ops and serious hospital stays and with every single one - "oh my friend was doing so well..." Yeah, whatever

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that. But I agree no two people are the same . how are you doing now I truly hope that things turn around for you.it seems you have really had a lot to cope with and my heart goes out to you

• Posted

Thank you dark crystal, that's very kind of you. Last TKR was 2 months ago and I had a full cardiac arrest (and died).  In ICU for 3 days on life support.  I won't let anyone or anything get me down. I'm doing really really well and it feels wonderful!  

- I refuse to listen to rubbish such as "you must take more pain meds or your body won't heal, 

- my friend of a friend is doing really well

- I can't understand why you're so tired  

- and all the other rubbish

• Posted

It is a strange thing! I had someone who also used to talk about another person who recently had TKR the instant she asked me how I was. And this other person was always doing so well! I gave trying to find the logic in it.😀😁😂

• Posted

Yes, know what you mean Jenny.  I have no idea if it's jealousy or concern for you, or just plain "they have no idea".  I suspect it's that  they have no idea.

• Posted

Well I wish you all the best for the future

.what you have gone through is horrendous .You sound like a fighter and and a very brave and determined woman. ģod luck on your road to recovery

• Posted

Me to its 4 weeks ,I have Learned don't listen to nobody everybody was there an opinion everybody feels at the old rate this is what I learned here at the site .

of course  it hurts . My knees are killing me to have to question through 

Times actually feels like  Electric shocks  going throw my knee.

but everyone says it get better.

• Posted

I've not had that feeling. Would like to wish you the best on your recovery

• Posted

I'm sorry you feel discourage. Don't be. Those two idiots don't know crap about TKR, they don't know that your knee has been cut off into 2 pieces. When I was at 4 weeks, I was at 95 bend. Your knee is still swollen and that's why you couldn't bend and that's why you need ice, ice, ice! If you feel pain, back off and rest for a day, next day get back to exercises. I'm now at 15 weeks and am at 118 bend. It takes a long time for your knee to repair all the nerves, ligaments, and muscles after it's being chopped off. Don't worry because I was in the boat as you are now. Take it easy. Take anti inflammatory meds as it will help decrease swelling and pain meds for pain. And ice, ice, ice while elevate. Take care. Let us know how you're doing in the weeks to come.

• Posted

thank you for your kind reply It's good to hear how others dealt with this .as I'm all over the place right now. 8 weeks before tkr they had me in and had to repair a torn ligament in my knee .i will try what you have said and thank you for giving me hope again

• Posted

Hey Mona, I don't think it's a positive thing to refer to TKRs as "your knee has been cut off into 2 pieces".  I've had 2 and I know the drill well, but every time someone says that it certainly makes me cringe.  LOL lol

• Posted

Are you worrying about this? It's true when surgeon cuts the muscles, ligaments, and nerves up. Then shaved the bones, and your knee joints are separate. Then before new knee puts in place, temporary part put in your knee to make sure it's measure right, drill into the bones, then new parts installed in where no knee is to replaced, next knee cap is back on. If you watch knee replacement surgery videos on YouTube, you know. That's why I'm not having my left knee done after what has happened to my right. I'm 4 weeks out and still not in top notch shape. I've been to my Dr. Because of my diarrhea and my whole system is out of whack is from being traumatic to the surgery. My blood results showed high levels in my thyroid and very low levels in zinc.

• Posted

Mona...thank you!!! I am 3 weeks post TKR and am barely at 95. (my extension is just about 0 which is great and I am walking better) But my bend was 83-1 week out, so to me I am making progress! And my therapist was very pleased today and reassured me that everyone progresses at a different rate. But talk to my surgeon and his PA (assistant) last week it was another story. Short of threatening, they told me if I don't bend better, I could need a manipulation to break up the scar tissue. I totally get that there are times that it needed, but for goodness sake, I'm so early on! It's hard enough to go through this brutal surgery and all that comes with it, only to face discouragement and fear. So again, thank you and good luck with your continued healing! Linda

• Posted

Tell it like it is Mona. It is what it is and if folks don't understand then they simply need to research the surgery. It's the most brutal operation and getting over it is usually painful and time consuming! Thanks for your comments!

• Posted

I found it helpful to know exactly what my knee had been through because it made me feel kindly towards that part of my body rather than angry and frustrated. Guess we are all different!
    • Posted

Many booklets from hospitals in UK say they want 90 degrees at SIX weeks... you have time and plenty of it. Keep loving that knee, keep it moving, it sounds like you are refusing to be scared! Good for you! My range of motion really stepped up around 12 weeks when the swelling also stepped down! Now at five months it's just like the unoperated knee!

• Posted

I need to correct my recovery it's not 4 weeks , it's 4 months recovery. I am still out of woods. TKR is the most grueling process I've been though. Never allow surgeon touch my left!

• Posted

Well, you said my words made you cringe. If it doesn't bother you then my words shouldn't bother you. Just sayin' on my two cents.

• Posted

Love your attitude Jenny...and yes, we are all different!
    • Posted

OK mate, was searching for that word, I'll use a post it on my pc so I get it right.   LOL You always make me laugh!  hehehehehhe and for good measure here's a lol

• Posted

Let it go.  I've been a grief counsellor most of my life and I try to gently correct people who are suffering all sorts of grief. But let it go

• Posted

Well, excuse me. I'm not grieving.. All I'm telling is the truth of TRI. Good for you but you don't tell these people to let it go. Sympathize them.

• Posted

As I said - let it go.  You don't get what I'm saying at all, just LET IT GO 

• Posted

Stop telling me what to do. You bashed me about your stupid remark! Leave me alone! I don't care who you are.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.