4 weeks on citalopram still crying a lot?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all - Ive been on cit second time for 4 weeks - 13 days at 20mg. I'm still pretty weepy - crying at least once or twice a day when talking to my partner - have others had that? I was hoping for an uplift in mood and cessation of the weepiness by now - almost feel like Ive got more depressed instead of less

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi tamsin

i know what you mean

these meds take a long time to settle

dont fight the side effects, try to roll with them, they will decrease & become less & less in time.

it can be exhausting i know

its a rollercoaster for sure but you will come out the other side.

• Posted

Hi Tamsin

4 weeks is not long enough for the cit to take full effect. I've been on sit on and off for 20 years and found it takes about 6-8 weeks. I know it's hard but stick with it you will feel better soon. My doc gave me beta blockers to help with the anxiety and panic for a couple of months. They worked for me, I was able to relax and stop worrying as much as they seem calm everything down, (heart beat decreases and blood pressure lowers)

Hope you feel better very soon.

Sending hugs x

• Posted

thanks very much for replying - so the cit worked for you each time? im really worried its not going to work this time as its been much harder than the first time

• Posted

thanks so much - ive got the beta blockers and have tried them but not sure they do much for me - how much did you take? i have propranalol. i also have some lorazepam which i was taking for sleep last week but i am trying to stop using it even though it makes me feel better because i am terrified of withdrawal

• Posted

dont be afraid of your benzo be lucky your doctor prescribe it.i took benzo for one year .and never got addicted or had withdrawls.

• Posted

Thanks Lois which one did you take and how much a day? Did you take it with an AD or on its own?

• Posted

i took ..25 of xanex a day or when needed along with my 10milli.of celexa.

• Posted

did you end up taking it regularly? if so morning or night? And did you have to taper off? Did the cit not work for you on its own?

• Posted

the cit work no doubt about that .the xanex was for my severe side effects/anxiety symptoms and startups.i took my xanex when ever i felt doom.i did not take if i did not feel weird.i did not taper off .and i never took more than .25 at once.

• Posted

thanks Lois how regularly did you take it at the start? i have taken lorazepam 0.5mg every day for the last 10 days and was thinking i should stop it

• Posted

at the start i took it twice a day .sometimes three .and as the cit kick in which was many months i took it less n less.all in all it was a whole year.

• Posted

Hi Tamsin

I was put on propranalol to take twice a day and it took about two weeks until I felt more able to cope and gradually got back to my old self. Every time my cit dosage is stopped or changed and then increased it takes about 6 weeks to start feeling better. The anxiety and uncontrolled negatives thoughts are hard to cope with but trust me you will get better. When I'm going through a bad time I always fear that I going to be like it forever but I've always got better. xx

• Posted

hey Mhonipie,

just a question. did u ever came off of cit fully and then restart with success. im second time on it but struggling a lot with irrational intrusive thoughts this time round and side effects in general. been on 20mg for 3 weeks now sadly had to change brands of cit and it put me to square one again and i no longer can get my old brand i wad using. i guess i will have to get used to the new one but side effects are horrible again from it.

• Posted

thanks - do you mean it took 2 weeks for the propranalol to work or the cit? how much propranalol did you take?

• Posted

Yes Tamsin the propranalol. I felt more relaxed which helped with my recovery. I think it was 40mg tablets twice a day. I took them for about 3 months then was able to reduce gradually then stop taking. I would definitely take them again if I have another breakdown. I know you feel that at the moment that you won't get there but you will. Remember baby steps. I did a list everyday of things I would like to achieve and at the end of the day cross off what I was able to do, even if it was 1 thing it was an achievement and gradually I was able to achieve more. Even if it was just making a cup of tea or go out into the garden.

My doctor described depression and anxiety as the person suffering as a tree on the top of a cliff at the beach and year after year the wind battered it until it gradually leans over and your that tree and with the help of meds and support you gradually come back up.

Take care xx

• Posted

hi can i ask i have been on propranolol for a year for anxiety but doctor has just given me 10mg citalopram to start as anxiety bad but didn't think you can take the two meds as it hightens the propranolol effect is this true or is it ok to take them thanks

• Posted

absolutely fine to take them x I do. what dose of propranolol do you take?

• Posted

my doc precribed 10 too but the psych said hr prescribes 40 so if 10 not working maybe up it. he said just watch for lightheadness. not convinced it does much for. how is everyone?

• Posted

thanks - the problem is that the meds have made me so much worse than before i started them. i had a bit of anxiety from IBS and was feeling a bit down but now my anxiety has been through the roof, i cant sleep without medication and ive been feeling really down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.