4 weeks post ankle surgery

Posted , 30 users are following.

I landed horribly on my right ankle on Sept 10th 2016 jumping off an inflatable obstacle course (ridiculous I know), dislocating it, tearing the ligament between the tib/fib and breaking the medial malleolus and the fibula in a couple of places. I wanted to share my experience so far (Oct 15th) as this forum has been really helpful to me and I hope my experiences can help others. I'm a 32 year old, active male Brit now living in NYC. Please excuse the length of this post!

I had surgery on Sept 15th after the swelling had reduced enough. I was nicely dosed up on Oxycodone waiting for the surgery but it felt like an eternity. The worse feeling was that nothing was healing and I was just wishing time away until they could get the bones in the correct place. There was constant dull pain and lots of sharp jabs when I moved. The surgery was over in an hour and the nerve block they used in my leg blocked all pain for 24 hours after. When it wore off I was back on the Oxycodone and in pain but in much better spirits as now I knew that as time passed, I was healing. The pain was tolerable thanks to the drugs and the thought that it was healing pain. The doc had me on crutches with no weight bearing (NWB) for 6 weeks. The 2 long screws seen in the pic mean I can't fully extend or pull up my foot until they come out 12 weeks after surgery around mid Dec. The other screws and plate will probably stay in indefinitely. I was in a big cast/splint that was only solid around the back and sides up to my knee and bandaged everywhere else. Sleeping was really tough and I'd be up constantly when I moved the leg too much. A couple of 5mg Oxycodone before sleeping would give me a decent 4-5 hours solid sleep though. I did and still do have it up on two big pillows, usually laid on its side with a bent knee so I can sleep on my side.

On Sept 29th they popped off my cast/splint, took out the stitches and put me into a comparatively luxurious short leg blue fibreglass cast with a lovely soft interior. I got to see my ankle and scars too (see pics), which was a shock as the scars were pretty intense and the ankle was very swollen and bruised. To get my foot into the right position for the new cast the doc had to move it, which was painful but it felt really good to see and feel movement in the ankle.

The new cast was lighter and much nicer but was still a thing around my leg so quickly got annoying. Around the first week of Oct I did starting hopping around the apt a lot more which I couldn't do before as the jolt really hurt the ankle. I was now also able to rest my leg on the floor and let it carry its own weight when I was sat on the couch or at a table, which was a new thing. If my leg was down for a short time my toes would go blue and I'd feel the ankle swelling inside the cast so I was usually sat on the couch with a couple of pillows under my leg. I was also trying to regularly stretch my leg out so the muscles didn't get too tensed up from inactivity.

Yesterday on Oct 15th, they cut off my fibreglass cast and got me into the removable AirCast boot, but still NWB for 2 weeks. My ankle is still swollen but much smaller than 2 weeks ago. The scars look better too. My calf and upper leg muscles have shrunken in a big way over the last 4 weeks, as you can see in the pics. I've started lifting my lower leg with the boot on in reps to start the process of building my upper leg muscle back. I also slept in the boot last night (very loosely fitted) as I was scared about moving it in my sleep or getting out of bed and putting weight on it to pee without thinking. This has been the biggest milestone in the recovery process as I can now see my foot and ankle, wash it (it was disgusting) and start moving it. Just stretching my toes out feels amazing and since last night I've been moving my foot around with my hands to find my limits and start working on increasing them. Now that I can start increasing my range of motion as it's out of the cast, I feel like a major part of the recovery process is under my control, which is an immense psychological boost and gives you quantifiable milestones to meet and exceed. Doc says he wants me doing circles with my foot by the end of Oct and then it's time to start the physio.

The immobility and lack of doing much is by far the worst part of this experience. Id gladly take much more pain in exchange for more mobility. I was lucky to be able to work from home so that really helped to speed up time. I used some of the time to do those little organisational things you never normally have time to do like reorganizing my document folders and creating to do lists and the like. Achieving at least something during the day made me feel useful and part of something rather than someone just waiting to heal. Watching shows all day, which I did more at the beginning did drive me crazy and didn't help the restless feelings. I would venture out for a cigarette (stupid I know) once or twice a day to get some sun and do some people watching which really helps. Early on, I commandeered my housemates wheeled office chair to move around the place which was a game changer. Crutches make moving things like plates of food or drinks around a multistage nightmare. The office chair solved this completely and I'd highly recommend getting a cheap one if you have a suitable floor.

Im also taking some bone supplements. The doc says they won't do much, and I've read some papers that say they can actually be determinantal as they strengthen the existing bone making the healing process longer as the creation of new bone to heal can take longer to match the existing strength. Ive also read other papers that say it can help when bone is healing so I'm taking it anyway, even just for a psychological boost. It's really just a boost of calcium and other related vits and minerals.

Long term optimistic predictions/guessings for healing is that I'll be cycling carefully by Mid November, finished with crutches and boot but walking very funny by the end of November. The two ligament healing screws will come out mid December, for a hopeful normal walk by Christmas.

I’d be happy to speak to anyone who wants more info. Id also like to speak to people who have been through physio in the states and know about the co-pay costs involved and ways to mitigate this. This country's healthcare standards are high but it is terrible that there are so many financial implications to deal with when you should be concentrating on repairing. A self employed laborer with kids breaking their ankle in the states would be in serious trouble. I was very close to flying home with my broken ankle for treatment if the expected cost here was too high. The government provided and totally free NHS is a beautiful thing back home, please fight to keep it!

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello my name is brandy I broke my ankle in three different spots Nov 11 it is now Nov 29 and u am going into surgery super Scarry your story helped a little as I am frantic with hospitals. I know I'm about to be in severe pain I want to know was it for you going up the stairs or did you sleep on the couch how did you cope with itching (drives me crazy ). Like I have to crawl up my stairs to use the rest room. With surgery did you have to pop a pain pill right after?

• Posted

Hi brandy

Ubwas very nerviyse leading up to my surgery as I suffer with terrible anxiety. I took the local anaesthetic route I was awake all the way through which was an awesome experience to say the least! Something I will never forget. I'm your op is now done and dusted and you recovering well I hope. What have your experiences been since doing your injury & how are j coping.. are u NWB also x

• Posted

OMG.  Local anesthetic?  When you are anxious!  How brave.  I was in surgery for over 4 hours and had to be prone.  I was thoroughly glad I was knocked out! LOL
  • Posted

Hi Charlie84

I am 2 weeks post ankle op and I have my ankle in a slip back half cast around the ankle & up to knee. I have my post op appointment on the 23rd January 2018.. I'm very apprehensive of what this appointment will bring. I'm NWB which as u know is an absolute pain in the bin. I had 7 screws and a plate put in. The pain for 2 days was awful after that tho I could move my toes and lift my leg with minimal pain. The only pain I have at the moment is where the cast I think could be rubbing on the scar. I drive for a living & I'm totally lost! I domt know what to expect on Tuesday when I go to hospital. I know they are removing staples that they put in & probably gna cast me up again. It happened Xmas eve 2017 which was not good news for my kids as u can imagine. Thanks for sharing what u had done it's good to read things. Ang advice for he next 4 weeks will be greatly received.

I have a job in the local taxi office aswell so I'm managing that with my foot up on a stool with a pillow. They are really spoiling me at work. The taxi side of it can wait.

Thanks Kell x

• Posted

Don't be afraid of the first post op appointment. I'm just a week ahead of you, had my surgery Jan2. I convinced myself it would be awful having the stitches out, and I'm not gonna lie-it did sting-but not as bad as I'd feared. That first cast was awful, it rubbed on my ankle bones and my heel was stuck to the plaster from blood and it just pulled. Be prepared for an ugly foot that has many shades of bruising on it. They will clean you up and wrap you in an ace  bandage and put you in the boot, which is a lot better. You can loosen and readjust the boot at least. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions of your dr when you see him.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Tricia

Appointment went well just as the above. Stuff stuck to my foot with blood etc. Stitches were dissolveable thank heavens I could feel them pulling under the cast before I went. They cut these either end then & were happy about the way it all went. The half cast thy took away whole leg looked disgusting sad then a lovely nurse cleaned some of the iodine off and the popped another NWB cast on fr another 4 weeks. So until Tuesday 20th February only 1 day away now smile I haven't done alot.

My foot feels as tho I could happily try & walk on it but obvs the cast is there and I'm not aloud. I sometimes get the ankle bone rubbing but not very often. I'm in no pain and it doesn't ache which I think is good??

The surgeons side kick told me on he 23rd Jan that another 4 weeks NWB then we will take cast off & have physio. Hope this will be the case on Tuesday

How are u doing now? Xx

Sorry fr the very delayed reply also x

• Posted

Hi Kelly, 

I fell on ice on 2/2.  I fractured my fibula and tore 3 ligaments.  My surgery was on 2/9 and my cast and stitches came out on 2/20.  I am now still NWB in a removable boot.  My next apppointment is 3/20.  I was curious how your last appointment went, as I am anticipating what to expect on 3/20.  Can you put weight on your foot? How often and for how long?  I’m eager to walk again!!  Thank you for any personal experience you may share!

• Posted

Doing awesome. I'm at 8 weeks now and I just got off of crutches. I'm full weight bearing in the boot still until my 3rd (and hopefully last) ortho appointment next Wednesday. The therapist thinks he will release me from the boot then. That will be totally weird. I've had no pain with partial weight bearing and was about 75% weight bearing until today. Today I'm just walking full weight in the boot.

?I cant believe all these doctors keeping you guys in a cast for so many weeks. I got my stitches out after 11 days and went right into the booth then. Its tons better with the boot. You'll see.

• Posted

I am almost 7 weeks post surgery and have just had my cast removed and transitioned to a boot.  I had a trimalleolus plus a spiral fracture to my fibula.  2 plates and 14 screws!  The medial malleolar is still separated but the other three fractures are healed.  Weight bearing is SCARY.  LOL.  But the physio wants me off crutches next week.  I think I have a LOT of work to do before that, I have hardly any movement through my ankle and the exercises are more mental than physical at the moment!!

I'm sleeping in my boot, far to nervous to take it off just yet for sleep.  I have RLS and my legs spasm every now and then causing my toes to point - and mine just won't go that way right now!  So I figure I'll sleep in the boot until my range of movement is a bit better.

Going forward - the plan is off crutches next week; 6 weeks in the boot; maybe 4 months to walking freely.  I'm really happy with that as the first prognosis was 2 years.  

May I make a suggestion to those who are still non weight bearing.  Check out the iWalk 2.0.  There's lots of clips on You Tube.  I just got one last week and really wish I'd got it earlier.  Hands free crutch!!!!  It's awesome.

• Posted

Hi Tricia

When I had the appointment on the 20th Feb the doctor told me o could fully weight bare on my foot. I was nervous and the muscle wastage that was there he told me to use a boot when needed fr support.

The scar is now a mild pink colour and looking really good.

I don't use the boot at all now.

Swelling isn't the best more some days than other's some days i get a bit of a ache in the bottom of my shin and my heel my whole foot itches some times which I think is good I also cream it 3 times a day as it looked awful when I had cast off.

How are u doing now? Xx

• Posted

Hi All, I am based in the UK and I am new to the forum so please forgive me if I make any initial mistakes.

I too suffered a trimalleur fracture on Boxing Day following a fall at home, I attended the Accident and Emergecy department and had surgery within a few hours however, due to the swelling they were only able to place my leg and ankle in an external fixator to realign things before further surgery on New Year’s Eve to fix plates and screws in an operation which lasted 4 hours.

I had a plaster cast and then two resin casts for 5 weeks before I saw my surgeon and she was happy for a boot to replace them with initial weight bearing and the commencement of physio.

I have had most of the issues you guys have including some further swelling if I put my foot down as well as the foot and lower leg going red. I keep my leg elevated all day and also sleep with it elevated on pillows too so the blood rushes to the foot once it’s placed down.

In terms of movement in my ankle I think I have about 50% at the moment with my physio therapist pushing it as much as pain allows.

I see my surgeon again tomorrow so I will let you know what she says, I think I may require a third operation to remove a screw which has held things together but the other plates and screws will stay in.

I also had another positive milestone today is that I got out of my house today under my own steam (with crutches) and had a walk down my street for 5 minutes which was great with the early spring sunshine on my back. Until today I have had the ambulance service collect me and bring me home when I have attended for hospital appointments.

I suppose I am also lucky as all my health care is provided by our National Health Service at no cost as I know in the USA and other countries treatment can be really expensive.

I hope everyone has a speedy recovery and best wishes to all.

• Posted

Hi Kenny, sound like you are doing well.  I'm at 11 post surgery with a trimalleolus plus a spiral fracture to my fibula.  Like you I was having a big problem with swelling and my foot was turning purple and orange. At my six week check three of the fractures had healed but the fourth still had a big gap.  During the last 10 days I've started walking without a crutch (I have a moon boot) and am now spending about 6-8 hours total on my feet!  And just three days ago it started to hurt.  I've had very little pain up to now and the pain is very specific to that last fracture, so I'm a little worried I've overdone it!  I'm back for more x-rays and an ortho check next week.  

I was impressed by the 50% movement - I have just 15% although it is improving a little with physio.

You are just a week or so ahead of me in recovery, and I was wondering how you are getting on.

• Posted

Hi Sue, I feel like I am not making that much progress as still cannot walk without crutches or walker, I have had some success with going down to one but my PT tells me my gait is all wrong so I should stick to two. She has also referred me for some hydrotherapy but that may be a few weeks off.

my redness is still there but no where near it was a few weeks back, still some swelling on occasions but the foot looks normal when I get out of bed of a morning. I am also more active, doing a lot of home exercises 3x half hour sessions per day which is paying off especially with my wasted calf muscle.

My ROM is still around 50% which again is slightly disappointing given my exercises but I think people report a lot more movement when they are walking again. Have they given you exercises to do at home to work on your ROM?

I am actually waiting to be picked up as I have an appointment with my surgeon today where I will ask a few more questions especially about my lack of progress In transitioning to walking unaided, I think it’s a mixture of fear and waking my brain up to at least take a step.

Not sure where you are based, I am in the UK and the ambulance service have been great in picking me up from home and bringing me home again when I have an appointment as I cannot get down my front step.

I am in a much better position than a month ago so there is progress, if I could get up and walk I would see a dramatic change I am sure.

It sounds like you are making progress so well done, you are on your feet a considerable time. Good luck with your X-rays next week I am sure it will be okay.

Keep walking in that boot and keep up with physio we will soon be out enjoying our own independence before we know it.

Cheers, Kenny

• Posted

Oh Dear - that doesn't sound good.  My ROM is still only about 15 degrees which is very slight compared with the 110 degrees I have on the other foot.  Very frustrating.  Yes I have exercises to improve - Extension, flexion, side to side with a Theraband for added resistance, plus circling and writing the alphabet with my toes.    I agree, a lot of the problem with moving to one, or no crutches is mental.  I had been washing up and went into another room to look for dirty pots and realised I'd left my crutch propped against the wall in the kitchen!!!  I'm now not using crutches at all around the house, but do use either one or both if on an uneven surface like the beach.  I had to negotiate steps within 2 days of surgery - I live in an apartment, no lift and two flights of stairs. It was hard and I had to rest between flights and at the top before the walk to the apartment. Now - I can do it without a crutch!!!

Knowing that I am likely to start to come out of the moon boot next week I have been (very nervously) standing and even walking a few steps without my boot.  I have quite bad swelling by the end of the day and although I had very little pain after the break or the surgery, I'm getting it now, mainly at night, so I think I'm probably overdoing it a tad!  But we are planning to move house so I've been packing, cleaning, even climbing short ladders!  One thing that is gross is that when the swelling is down, I can feel the plates and one of the screws!!!  

I'm from England but live in sunny Queensland, Australia, and there isn't an ambulance service like yours.  I hope your hospital trip was all good and that you are starting to put more weight through your ankle.

• Posted

Hi do you or anyone on this blog know exactly why your foot goes blue when not elevated. I am 6 weeks in with trimaleollar and ligament damage and getting very frustrated that I can’t stand for very long in boot, my foot also feels that it’s being crushed when standing 
    • Posted

Hi Sue, I hope you got alright by now. I broke my ankle in 3 different spots on October 13 while hiking. I had so much swelling that they couldnt do the surgery right away. They put a cast on my foot and said they would do the surgery 1 week later. Yesterday I went at doctors. I was shocked to see so many blisters all over my foot though the swelling was much reduced. The doctor said it can happen for trauma cases. But now they want to wait for another week for surgery. Did you or anyone here experience blisters just after the injury?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.