4 weeks post ankle surgery

Posted , 30 users are following.

I landed horribly on my right ankle on Sept 10th 2016 jumping off an inflatable obstacle course (ridiculous I know), dislocating it, tearing the ligament between the tib/fib and breaking the medial malleolus and the fibula in a couple of places. I wanted to share my experience so far (Oct 15th) as this forum has been really helpful to me and I hope my experiences can help others. I'm a 32 year old, active male Brit now living in NYC. Please excuse the length of this post!

I had surgery on Sept 15th after the swelling had reduced enough. I was nicely dosed up on Oxycodone waiting for the surgery but it felt like an eternity. The worse feeling was that nothing was healing and I was just wishing time away until they could get the bones in the correct place. There was constant dull pain and lots of sharp jabs when I moved. The surgery was over in an hour and the nerve block they used in my leg blocked all pain for 24 hours after. When it wore off I was back on the Oxycodone and in pain but in much better spirits as now I knew that as time passed, I was healing. The pain was tolerable thanks to the drugs and the thought that it was healing pain. The doc had me on crutches with no weight bearing (NWB) for 6 weeks. The 2 long screws seen in the pic mean I can't fully extend or pull up my foot until they come out 12 weeks after surgery around mid Dec. The other screws and plate will probably stay in indefinitely. I was in a big cast/splint that was only solid around the back and sides up to my knee and bandaged everywhere else. Sleeping was really tough and I'd be up constantly when I moved the leg too much. A couple of 5mg Oxycodone before sleeping would give me a decent 4-5 hours solid sleep though. I did and still do have it up on two big pillows, usually laid on its side with a bent knee so I can sleep on my side.

On Sept 29th they popped off my cast/splint, took out the stitches and put me into a comparatively luxurious short leg blue fibreglass cast with a lovely soft interior. I got to see my ankle and scars too (see pics), which was a shock as the scars were pretty intense and the ankle was very swollen and bruised. To get my foot into the right position for the new cast the doc had to move it, which was painful but it felt really good to see and feel movement in the ankle.

The new cast was lighter and much nicer but was still a thing around my leg so quickly got annoying. Around the first week of Oct I did starting hopping around the apt a lot more which I couldn't do before as the jolt really hurt the ankle. I was now also able to rest my leg on the floor and let it carry its own weight when I was sat on the couch or at a table, which was a new thing. If my leg was down for a short time my toes would go blue and I'd feel the ankle swelling inside the cast so I was usually sat on the couch with a couple of pillows under my leg. I was also trying to regularly stretch my leg out so the muscles didn't get too tensed up from inactivity.

Yesterday on Oct 15th, they cut off my fibreglass cast and got me into the removable AirCast boot, but still NWB for 2 weeks. My ankle is still swollen but much smaller than 2 weeks ago. The scars look better too. My calf and upper leg muscles have shrunken in a big way over the last 4 weeks, as you can see in the pics. I've started lifting my lower leg with the boot on in reps to start the process of building my upper leg muscle back. I also slept in the boot last night (very loosely fitted) as I was scared about moving it in my sleep or getting out of bed and putting weight on it to pee without thinking. This has been the biggest milestone in the recovery process as I can now see my foot and ankle, wash it (it was disgusting) and start moving it. Just stretching my toes out feels amazing and since last night I've been moving my foot around with my hands to find my limits and start working on increasing them. Now that I can start increasing my range of motion as it's out of the cast, I feel like a major part of the recovery process is under my control, which is an immense psychological boost and gives you quantifiable milestones to meet and exceed. Doc says he wants me doing circles with my foot by the end of Oct and then it's time to start the physio.

The immobility and lack of doing much is by far the worst part of this experience. Id gladly take much more pain in exchange for more mobility. I was lucky to be able to work from home so that really helped to speed up time. I used some of the time to do those little organisational things you never normally have time to do like reorganizing my document folders and creating to do lists and the like. Achieving at least something during the day made me feel useful and part of something rather than someone just waiting to heal. Watching shows all day, which I did more at the beginning did drive me crazy and didn't help the restless feelings. I would venture out for a cigarette (stupid I know) once or twice a day to get some sun and do some people watching which really helps. Early on, I commandeered my housemates wheeled office chair to move around the place which was a game changer. Crutches make moving things like plates of food or drinks around a multistage nightmare. The office chair solved this completely and I'd highly recommend getting a cheap one if you have a suitable floor.

Im also taking some bone supplements. The doc says they won't do much, and I've read some papers that say they can actually be determinantal as they strengthen the existing bone making the healing process longer as the creation of new bone to heal can take longer to match the existing strength. Ive also read other papers that say it can help when bone is healing so I'm taking it anyway, even just for a psychological boost. It's really just a boost of calcium and other related vits and minerals.

Long term optimistic predictions/guessings for healing is that I'll be cycling carefully by Mid November, finished with crutches and boot but walking very funny by the end of November. The two ligament healing screws will come out mid December, for a hopeful normal walk by Christmas.

I’d be happy to speak to anyone who wants more info. Id also like to speak to people who have been through physio in the states and know about the co-pay costs involved and ways to mitigate this. This country's healthcare standards are high but it is terrible that there are so many financial implications to deal with when you should be concentrating on repairing. A self employed laborer with kids breaking their ankle in the states would be in serious trouble. I was very close to flying home with my broken ankle for treatment if the expected cost here was too high. The government provided and totally free NHS is a beautiful thing back home, please fight to keep it!

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i found many useful informations here.

my son (14) fractured his ankle today by falling on it while doing some hiking. the ankle was dislocated but manipulated back in place, i'm now waiting more news. i only know that probably a surgery will be necessary because probably bones are broken.

i wonder if the initial reduction could help to avoid surgery? do you think it has been a good idea to realing the foot after injury?

i see that multiple fractures to the ankle aren't that unusual and surgery is performed after swelling reduced

• Posted

I know it's been 2 years since this was created but your post has given me some hope. I broke both my tibia and fibula July 12th, 2018. I had surgery on the 20th and my scars are identical to yours, i currently have a splint. I get my real cast 6th,August 6th, and he told me I would be in that one for 6 more weeks, then he said i will be in a boot for 6 more weeks but i cant walk in it. His reasoning is because I'm pregnant (i was 14 weeks when i broke it, I'm almost 17 weeks now), and bones heal slower. I'm DYING because I have 5 kids at home, its summer, and I have no help and cant drive! I was looking into hand controls for my car, and they arent too pricey so that may help. School starts in a month and I absolutely HAVE to be driving by then. I'm so worried that I wont be able to fully walk when baby comes. I have just under 5 months.

How long after you started being able to bear weight were you able to walk without crutches? I use my knee scooter 90% of the time (I found it on offerup for 40 bucks! Best investment besides my $3 shower chair lol), but I do use my crutches when I'm going to the grocery store and I put them into one of those electric scooters.

So again, my question is how long after you started walking again were you able to walk unassisted?

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear about your injuries on top of your duties as a mother. 

I fractured my lateral malleolus (e.g. lower fibula) with syndesmotic disruption on June 30. I had ORIF on July 1 with a plate and five screws, including a syndesmotic screw.  I was in fibreglass splint until July 13, when I was given an CAM boot to wear at all times except while showering or putting my leg up to watch TV or read. I am not to bear weight on the broken ankle. I am supposed to return to hospital cast centre on August 3. At my July 13 visit, the surgeon told me that I would probably be put into an ankle brace at that time.

Although the scope of our injuries are different, I will keep you posted with what I learn.

Good luck.

• Posted

Am I the only one who broke both ankles at the same time?? I got dizzy and my legs gave out. i don't think i passed out but it seems right after i fell i yelled for my son to help me up. He helped me to the couch, got me ice and there i layed all night. They were pretty swollen in the am so I went to ER where they did xrays, said i broke both in almost exact same places. Off to the hospital they took me by ambulance where they informed me I would have surgery the next day. Things were quite fuzzy for me. I remember them coming in my room saying its time to go. I was still awake in the OR..saw nurses with all kinds of tools and I'm out! Next i remember was a horrible feeling. I had a rough time waking up after surgery and first thing i remember is not being able to talk! I tried but no sound came out! My son and ex husband were there and i was frantically trying to find out what was happening. They had a tube down my throat and i was on a ventilator. I motioned for paper and pen but when i tried to write it was scribbles !! I was so frustrated that i threw the paper as far as I could . I remember they said they were going to sedate me as i started crying. Next i remember a pain in my throat, when they pulled the tube out. They asked me questions..who is President, what month is it. I had to think a minute but i knew. They told me to speak louder. Next thing i remember calling my daughter crying asking why she never came to see me .She replied she was here every day for hours. I don't remember at all. Well on to the ankles. I woke up being wrapped almost to my knees. I don't remember pain but i did hear morphine mentioned. I also was on percocet 5mg.every 4 hours. I was in hospital 3 more days and then taken to a rehab. Actually the same one i was in almost a year ago to the date after AAA surgery and a broken bone in my back ! And yes.We discovered i have osteoporosis. Would you believe after i wore a back brace 6 months and was good for a few weeks...I broke another bone in my back. !! As I write all this , even I have a hard time believing this ! Back to ankles..had the big boots on now _ not sure when they were put on). So day 10 after surgery..got out of bed and had 3 hours physical therapy. 1.5 hours at a time. Mainly walking around corridor with a walker and a wheelchair behind me. It really wasn't bad. Also did arm strengthening exercises. I was there for 9 days..begged to go home after day 7. I had to walk a certain distance, learn how to get in a car ( had a fake 1/2 car in there)., walk up and down 5 wooden steps 3 times without stopping. _ because at my condo 16 steps to second floor .no elevator. to be allowed to go home.Also shown how to shower and take boots on and off. It was nice though to get served food in bed .lol.

5 weeks after surgery...xrays and ortho visit. Dr.said xrays looked good and incision too. Still a little swelling and still bruised quite a bit. Said i could remove boots at night but no walking without them until tomorrow after I go to PT. FI tried it today and man am i unsteady and weak. It is the first time i thought to myself..wow.what if they never heal?? Actually left ankle feels pretty good, its the right one that still hurts. I hope they can help at PT . Pray for me Appt.at noon. Sorry for the long long post but writing this helped me try to piece together this whole fiasco. By the way i am 64 year old female that was working part time as a cashier, doing my own cleaning, shopping. Also used to breeze up and down the 16 steps a few times a day no problem. Hard to be so dependent now for family and friends to get my groceries, clean up and do my laundry. Plus in the past year i lost 28 pounds which is not good as now I am only 96 pounds. ( i am only 5 feet tall )Some days i just cant eat and that makes me weaker. Thanks for listening !!

• Posted

I have been online looking for photos of what an ankle surgery incision should look like 4 weeks post operation. My surgical wound is infected and not healing. I can even see some of the screws through the incision because it is not closed as it should be. I am under a doctor's care and will have a Wound VAC tomorrow to help it heal. I am also on antibiotics. But, since I don't have anything to compare my incision to, I started looking via the internet and came across your photos. Your healing incision looks great! Mine doesn't look anything like that. Thanks for posting your pictures so that I could see what an ankle surgery incision should look like when it heals as it should.

Mary

• Posted

hi bud

my injures are similar ankle broke in 3 places fractured and dislocated heel,got surgery the next day.my question is, I am a self employed builder, who stupidly has no work injury insurance?so no work no wages !!! has anyone with this injury made manual work possibly after 6 weeks, or am I being optimistic.

thanks

• Posted

get a knee scooter! and probably an aide. its possible to do SOME, but not A LOT

• Posted

hey i broke my tib fib clean break a week ago. im like u mentioned down in my spirits bc of isolation and the feeling of will this ever get better! i worry that having orif surgery and metal put in my body will be uncomfortable or will rub something wrong. the doc told me to look at a recovery time after surgery of 6 weeks meaning i should be bearing weight and all.

• Posted

thank you so much for your experience. i literally did the exact same

thing as you THIS September. My break was a little more serious, after looking at your X-rays. I got a plate on both sides. I'm a bit jealous you got the screws out on one side. I actually go in today for my 2 week check up and to get my stitches out today, to be moved into a fiberglass cast. My timeline is supposed to be just like yours, hopefully walking by christmas. I laughed when you talked about the office chair, as I had that random stroke of genius as well. I actually ended up purchasing a wheel chair as well. I f you are still on this forum, I would love to hear how it has been recovery wise, after the three years.

many thanks,

Bradford

• Posted

Hello,

I am currently in hospital having broken and dislocated my right ankle badly on Saturday. i had a nerve block ahead of the surgery and am now lying here terrified as my toes feel numb and i cant move them; the pulse in my foot is perfect I am told . I have spoken to the nurses and they say I need not worry but I cant stop my anxiety.

Have any of you had nerve blocks and can you tell me how long they lasted before wearing off.

i am so scared.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.